Mike Deblis

Default French custom joinery experiences?

Hi,

We are doing a conversion of an oast/barn in Kent. As part of this, we need
about 25 windows & external doors custom made out of hardwood. to take 22mm
argon-filled glazing.

The quotes we've had from our part of the world have, not surprisingly, been
very expensive... however these things seem cheaper in France...

So, anyone here have any experiences or recommendations about using French
custom-made joinery... Quality? Price? My wife is a fluent French speaker,
so that may help. We are particularly interested in the Pay de Calais or
Nord regions for ease of access.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike

"Mike Deblis" wrote in message
Hi,

We are doing a conversion of an oast/barn in Kent. As part of this, we

need
about 25 windows & external doors custom made out of hardwood. to take

22mm
argon-filled glazing.

The quotes we've had from our part of the world have, not surprisingly,

been
very expensive... however these things seem cheaper in France...

Get a quote from 'up north' just to compare. London and surrounding areas
always seem silly prices. But I think you're right - and quality is
probably better. Just don't expect it on time :-)

Derek *

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:34:51 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Deblis"
wrote:

Hi,

We are doing a conversion of an oast/barn in Kent. As part of this, we need
about 25 windows & external doors custom made out of hardwood. to take 22mm
argon-filled glazing.

The quotes we've had from our part of the world have, not surprisingly, been
very expensive... however these things seem cheaper in France...

So, anyone here have any experiences or recommendations about using French
custom-made joinery... Quality? Price? My wife is a fluent French speaker,
so that may help. We are particularly interested in the Pay de Calais or
Nord regions for ease of access.

Thanks in advance,

Would you like to hear about my experiences in a vineyard B&B in
Bordeaux in a converted barn when the bed went through the 1st floor
bedroom floor at 3-00 Am one pitch black morning? Guess not.

At home I had all the Doors, Window frames, skirtings and architraves in
my house replaced with Brazilian Mahogany in 1990 by a local joiner
(Leeds). The cost didn't seem too bad, maybe the top end of what you'd
pay for plastic

6-7 Years later I had the barge boards and soffits replaced with
hardwood but the price of Brazilian Mahogany had gone through the roof
so I used "Phillipino hardwood".

About France I really can't say except that the price of the raw
material is out of proportion to the cost of the labour hours needed to
fabricate a window frame, assuming they are using all the proper machine
tools. It should be cheaper if you can order the 25 windows all at once,
all with the same profiles, so no need to re-set the machine.

The quality of the raw material has a big effect on the price. What are
they quoting for?

DG
Roger Wareham

Mike Deblis wrote:

We are doing a conversion of an oast/barn in Kent. As part of this, we need
about 25 windows & external doors custom made out of hardwood. to take 22mm
argon-filled glazing.

The quotes we've had from our part of the world have, not surprisingly, been
very expensive... however these things seem cheaper in France...

So, anyone here have any experiences or recommendations about using French
custom-made joinery... Quality? Price? My wife is a fluent French speaker,
so that may help. We are particularly interested in the Pay de Calais or
Nord regions for ease of access.

If you're looking for doors and windows made to normal French commercial
standards (i.e. not made by hand) have a word with Lapeyre in Calais
(just opposite the big Auchan on the road to Coquelles). They do doors
and windows in custom sizes.

Bear in mind though that French windows open inwards and are fitted
flush with the inside surface of the wall.

Roger.

OT-The French Gunner Metalworking 25 January 8th 05 09:41 AM
Questions about french drain peter Home Repair 4 December 27th 04 01:34 PM
Learn French in the Alps. Ken Vaughn Woodturning 0 October 4th 04 02:18 AM
French door problem Scott Vajdos Woodworking 15 April 24th 04 08:06 AM
French Windows - Draught and Weather sealing by design ? Bob S. Woodworking 1 July 23rd 03 05:10 AM