simoh

Default Honeywell compatibility w. boiler

Just had a quote to replace my boiler and was informed I needed to have the
current Honeywell Y motorised valve changed as part of the process as it
would be incompatible with the new boiler. The current boiler is a Myson
Apollo, the new one would be a Glowworm Micron FFL.
The valve (and pump) don't look old or tired and work fine. I've had a
scout about on the web and can't find any compatibility issues mentioned and
was wondering if anyone could explain what he might have meant.

Thanks
Simoh

Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 May 2004 22:53:52 +0100, "simoh" wrote:

Just had a quote to replace my boiler and was informed I needed to have the
current Honeywell Y motorised valve changed as part of the process as it
would be incompatible with the new boiler. The current boiler is a Myson
Apollo, the new one would be a Glowworm Micron FFL.
The valve (and pump) don't look old or tired and work fine. I've had a
scout about on the web and can't find any compatibility issues mentioned and
was wondering if anyone could explain what he might have meant.

Thanks
Simoh

I don't see why that should be at all. unless the positions in the
circuits of the pump and valve are incorrect and pumping over would be
likely.

This is a very simple old fashioned cast iron boiler and there should
be no reason why the pump and valve in the right places would not be
appropriate.

A more important point is the very poor choice of boiler that he has
proposed. This one is right at the very bottom of the legal limit on
energy efficiency at 78% - it just scrapes in.

It is also not range rated - i.e. not adjustable to heating
requirement - although they do make a bunch of models.

I would look for other quotes and ask for a condensing boiler. These
cost a little more, but achieve over 90% efficiency, so relative to
what you probably have now, would save you 25-30% on gas consumption.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Stumbles

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

You may also want to consider whether you'd prefer a combi boiler instead of
the conventional system. Pros: you get unlimited hot water, at mains
pressure (good for showers) and save the space currently occupied by the hot
water cylinder in the airing cupboard and tanks in the attic. Cons: more
expensive than just having the boiler replaced, the rate at which a combi
can deliver hot water is unsuitable for supplying many users at the same tim
e (e.g. if you have a large house with more than one bathroom) and if you
currently have a power-shower-in-a-box you'll have to replace it. Broadly
they're good for small houses. (There are more variations and factors to
consider as a trawl through google's archive of this group will show, but I
hope I've highlighted the main ones.)

John

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

The problem which will arise from Googling "ANYTHING" which has attracted
our resident troll/****wit is that its no longer possible to find the info
you require submerged amongst the endless yah boo sucks posts which he
generates

simoh

Thanks for the replies.

A more important point is the very poor choice of boiler that he has
proposed. This one is right at the very bottom of the legal limit on
energy efficiency at 78% - it just scrapes in.

The relacement boiler has to fit into a space 390mm wide (between a wall and
a chimney breast) which I think is why this boiler was recommended. There
were no condensing boilers which fit the space apparently.

You may also want to consider whether you'd prefer a combi boiler instead
of the conventional system.

The house is probably pushing it a bit for a combi, separate bath, shower,
and ensuite to be installed shortly with another shower.

Looks like I'll have to get another quote and get back to British Gas
afterwards about the compatibility issue (I'd prefer to stick with BG as
independents are charging pretty much the same rates these days, and as
we're going for the 3 star cover afterwards, if there are any foul-ups it'll
be down to BG to fix gratis).

Thanks again,
Simon

Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 12th 03 11:10 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM