neil leslie

Default chipboard flooring

I'm thinking of laying chipboard on top of poor quality floorboards in a
storage cupboard in my flat. Is this a good idea or should I be going
for plywood? I already have a supply of chipboard so that would be the
most convenient solution.

Thanks

Ian Stirling

neil leslie wrote:
I'm thinking of laying chipboard on top of poor quality floorboards in a
storage cupboard in my flat. Is this a good idea or should I be going
for plywood? I already have a supply of chipboard so that would be the
most convenient solution.

Plywood is better.
Chipboard is nasty for a number of reasons, for example it absorbs water
easily, and is much weaker.
However.
If the chipboard you have is thick enough, and you slap some paint/varnish
on it, it should be OK.
Lobster

Ian Stirling wrote:
neil leslie wrote:

I'm thinking of laying chipboard on top of poor quality floorboards in a
storage cupboard in my flat. Is this a good idea or should I be going
for plywood? I already have a supply of chipboard so that would be the
most convenient solution.

Plywood is better.
Chipboard is nasty for a number of reasons, for example it absorbs water
easily, and is much weaker.
However.
If the chipboard you have is thick enough, and you slap some paint/varnish
on it, it should be OK.

Surely in a cupboard it will be OK though?? It's commonly used instead
of floorboards isn't it (albeit under a floor covering)

David
Ian Stirling

Lobster wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
neil leslie wrote:

I'm thinking of laying chipboard on top of poor quality floorboards in a
storage cupboard in my flat. Is this a good idea or should I be going
for plywood? I already have a supply of chipboard so that would be the
most convenient solution.

Plywood is better.
Chipboard is nasty for a number of reasons, for example it absorbs water
easily, and is much weaker.
However.
If the chipboard you have is thick enough, and you slap some paint/varnish
on it, it should be OK.

Surely in a cupboard it will be OK though?? It's commonly used instead
of floorboards isn't it (albeit under a floor covering)

Probably, depending on the assymetry of the floor, thickness of the
chipboard, load on the chipboard.
You can get away with a lot thinner plywood than chipboard, as the plywood
will flex lots more than the chipboard before failing.
Chipboard will probably be fine, as long as it's reasonably thick (10mm),
and it isn't supported only at the edges.
If it can be done, screwing the floorboards down as flat as possible
would be a good idea.