Default UK appliances in Spain

Hello all

Probably a stupid question, but Ive asked lots in the past so why stop
now.

My place in Spain will soon be built and we have a number of spare
appliances over here we would like to ship to Spain to use out there.
Is their electrical system the same as ours i.e. 230 Volts and could I
just connect a Spanish type plug up to the applicance and expect
everything to work? (Assuming the apartment has not been fitted out
with UK type sockets)

Thanks and hapy new year to you all!

Richard

Dave Stanton

Would the Spanish authorities accept UK sockets? The wiring practices are
different to the UK. I think we are the only country to use a 30A ring
and individually fused appliences. They wire as radials with 16A
breakers. (Please note, much simplified!!)

Andrew

And Spanish wiring practice leaves a lot to be desired ...

Dave

Andrew Chesters

Dave Stanton wrote:
Would the Spanish authorities accept UK sockets? The wiring practices are
different to the UK. I think we are the only country to use a 30A ring
and individually fused appliences. They wire as radials with 16A
breakers. (Please note, much simplified!!)

Andrew

And Spanish wiring practice leaves a lot to be desired ...

Dave

Come on, I resisted the temptation for that line!!

Great! should save me a few bob.
cheers all as usual for the feedback.

Richard

Great! should save me a few bob.
cheers all as usual for the feedback.

Richard

Owain

"zaax" wrote
| My place in Spain will soon be built and we have a number of spare
| appliances over here we would like to ship to Spain to use out there.
| Is their electrical system the same as ours i.e. 230 Volts and could I
| just connect a Spanish type plug up to the applicance and expect
| everything to work? (Assuming the apartment has not been fitted out
| with UK type sockets)

It won't be fitted with UK sockets.

| Yeap, even better get a few travel adapters

Most travel adaptors are rather vile. Better would be to take a good stock
of 4- or 6-way strips, rewire the plugs on those to Spanish, and mount them
neatly near the sockets. British appliances can then be used without having
to change plugs, and retain the protection of the 13A plug fuse.

A Spanish (or UK with Spanish plug) socket tester might be a good idea. I
don't know about Spain, but I think several European systems don't tie
Neutral and Earth together as we do and are less fussy about polarity.

Get the electrician to label the CU breakers in Spanish *and* English. You
don't want to be wandering around in darkness wondering what "upstairs
sockets, outside streetlight and neighbour's chicken incubator" is in
Spanish.

Owain

Andy Wade

Andrew Chesters wrote:

Even your TV should work, it's only the French & Russians who use a
different transmission standard in Europe.

FSVO "work" :-) Surely Spain uses System B/G (PAL colour, 5.5 MHz sound
carrier offset). Your UK System I TV will deliver a picture, but no
sound, unless it's multi-standard, which many are these days. You might
have to delve into the set-up menus and change the sound system setting.

--
Andy
Alan

In message , Dave Stanton
wrote

Would the Spanish authorities accept UK sockets? The wiring practices are
different to the UK. I think we are the only country to use a 30A ring
and individually fused appliences. They wire as radials with 16A
breakers. (Please note, much simplified!!)

Andrew

And Spanish wiring practice leaves a lot to be desired ...

But it will be covered by Part P - the common EU standard
--
Alan

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Chesters wrote:
Even your TV should work, it's only the French & Russians who use a
different transmission standard in Europe.

Not so; there are different versions of PAL. One such has the sound and
vision carrier spacing different to the UK, so you'll get either picture
*or* sound, but not both.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:42:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Chesters wrote:
Even your TV should work, it's only the French & Russians who use a
different transmission standard in Europe.

Not so; there are different versions of PAL. One such has the sound and
vision carrier spacing different to the UK, so you'll get either picture
*or* sound, but not both.

Something like a video recorder with SCART can be used as a cheap way
out of this if the TV can't be reset to PAL B or PAL G from PAL I; or
are there are little tuner boxes, although these seem to cost more
than a cheap VCR.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lurch

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:20:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
strung together this:

Think all europe is standardized on PAL except france, so even this
should work.

Yes, but there's two different standards of PAL, B\G and I. I found
all this out recently after I bought a PAL\NTSC in car TV from the US,
only to find it's not the PAL I standard which is only used in the UK
and also Australia I think.
--

SJW
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Think all europe is standardized on PAL except france, so even this
should work.

Nope. There are many different versions of PAL, and IIRC the UK one is
unique in Europe.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mark Carver

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Think all europe is standardized on PAL except france, so even this
should work.

Nope. There are many different versions of PAL, and IIRC the UK one is
unique in Europe.

Almost, it's used in Eire too, but they also use VHF, so in some areas
you may not get all the channels on a UHF only telly.
Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Think all europe is standardized on PAL except france

SECAM = Systeme Essentialement Contraire les AMericains ;-)

Lee

Andy Hall wrote:

Something like a video recorder with SCART can be used as a cheap way
out of this if the TV can't be reset to PAL B or PAL G from PAL I; or
are there are little tuner boxes, although these seem to cost more
than a cheap VCR.

This is only going to be a problem with local off-air signals though,
obviously it makes no difference if the source is from the scart socket
of a Sky box or DVD

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Peter Parry

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:49:52 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

What?? Do you mean their work isn't subject to their equivalent of Part P -
Surely not?

Of course it is. The payment to the relevant local authority person
is a licence fee for the inspection.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
The Natural Philosopher

Lee wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Something like a video recorder with SCART can be used as a cheap way
out of this if the TV can't be reset to PAL B or PAL G from PAL I; or
are there are little tuner boxes, although these seem to cost more
than a cheap VCR.

This is only going to be a problem with local off-air signals though,
obviously it makes no difference if the source is from the scart socket
of a Sky box or DVD

Lee

Yes, I realised aftre I had posetd about teh subcarrier issue - had a
portable telly that only did pictures in Blegiuem once.

The solution is to go digital, and simply buy whatever DVD or set top
box works, in the region where you want it to work.
John

wrote:

What?? Do you mean their work isn't subject to their equivalent of Part
P -
Surely not?

Of course it is. The payment to the relevant local authority person
is a licence fee for the inspection.

So who would this be - the local Spanish mayor?

Alan

In message , Peter Parry
wrote
wrote:

What?? Do you mean their work isn't subject to their equivalent of Part P -
Surely not?

Of course it is. The payment to the relevant local authority person
is a licence fee for the inspection.

Which can be undertaken before the work is started

--
Alan

Peter Parry

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:25:03 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

So who would this be - the local Spanish mayor?

I thought they usually employed a more menial servant to carry out
the inspection by holding a hand out and looking at the sky while
whistling gently :-)

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/