Owain

"zaax" wrote
| My place in Spain will soon be built and we have a number of spare
| appliances over here we would like to ship to Spain to use out there.
| Is their electrical system the same as ours i.e. 230 Volts and could I
| just connect a Spanish type plug up to the applicance and expect
| everything to work? (Assuming the apartment has not been fitted out
| with UK type sockets)

It won't be fitted with UK sockets.

| Yeap, even better get a few travel adapters

Most travel adaptors are rather vile. Better would be to take a good stock
of 4- or 6-way strips, rewire the plugs on those to Spanish, and mount them
neatly near the sockets. British appliances can then be used without having
to change plugs, and retain the protection of the 13A plug fuse.

A Spanish (or UK with Spanish plug) socket tester might be a good idea. I
don't know about Spain, but I think several European systems don't tie
Neutral and Earth together as we do and are less fussy about polarity.

Get the electrician to label the CU breakers in Spanish *and* English. You
don't want to be wandering around in darkness wondering what "upstairs
sockets, outside streetlight and neighbour's chicken incubator" is in
Spanish.

Owain