John

Default Cutting Worktops

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new ones
being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need to enlarge
the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and tiles so I would like
to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done this and if so what is the
best method. I have a range of power tools but because of the distance from
the wall to the back of the sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw.
I have a Rotazip type tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in
these things are up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any
advice or am I looking at a hand saw job?

TIA

John

Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:16:14 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new ones
being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need to enlarge
the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and tiles so I would like
to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done this and if so what is the
best method. I have a range of power tools but because of the distance from
the wall to the back of the sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw.
I have a Rotazip type tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in
these things are up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any
advice or am I looking at a hand saw job?

TIA

John

Yep, I think it will be a hand job. A Rotozip type thing is not
going to be man enough for this, I don't think.

Is it too close at the back to get in a circular saw?

Hopefully the sink will cover any slight wanderings away for the line
though.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Set Square

John wrote:

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new
ones being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need
to enlarge the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and
tiles so I would like to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done
this and if so what is the best method. I have a range of power
tools but because of the distance from the wall to the back of the
sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw. I have a Rotazip type
tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in these things are
up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any advice or
am I looking at a hand saw job?

TIA

John

If you've got any longish straight bits to cut, you may be able to use an
angle grinder fitted with a circular saw blade. But take care - it ain't for
the faint hearted - and may chip the surface, beacuse you really need to cut
from the underside!

You could then finish off with a rotary file - or maybe with a multi-angle
drill bit such as Screwfix D86592 etc.

Have you got any spare bits of worktop to practise on?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Richard

"Set Square" wrote in message
John wrote:

[...]

When fitting a sink you end up with a 1" overlap so chipping is not an
issue, whats wrong with a jigsaw, with a blade that cuts on the upstroke?

Richard

"Richard" wrote in message

"Set Square" wrote in message
John wrote:

[...]

sorry didnt read the post as usual

Rick Dipper

If you've got any longish straight bits to cut, you may be able to use an
angle grinder fitted with a circular saw blade.

I thought the OP was talking about fitting a sink, not ways of getting
a "Darwin Award"

Rick

Pete C

wrote:

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new ones
being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need to enlarge
the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and tiles so I would like
to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done this and if so what is the
best method. I have a range of power tools but because of the distance from
the wall to the back of the sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw.
I have a Rotazip type tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in
these things are up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any
advice or am I looking at a hand saw job?

Hi,

Some jigsaws allow the blade to be put in at 90° which would help you
get closer to the wall.

Or put a brand new 1.6mm cutting disk in the angle grinder and use it
to cut a series of slots in the edge of the worktop. Then use a chisel
to channel out the wood in between.

Another way would be to fix a piece of suitable sized wood between the
wall and the ledge on the worktop, and use a router horizontally with
the guide running along the top of the wood to rout out the edge of
the worktop. Very dangerous though!

cheers,
Pete.
Lurch

On Fri, 7 May 2004 16:38:09 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Set Square"
strung together this:

you may be able to use an
angle grinder fitted with a circular saw blade.

After you...
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
John Armstrong

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:16:14 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new ones
being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need to enlarge
the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and tiles so I would like
to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done this and if so what is the
best method. I have a range of power tools but because of the distance from
the wall to the back of the sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw.
I have a Rotazip type tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in
these things are up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any
advice or am I looking at a hand saw job?

My jigsaw has the facility to mount the blade sideways. The blade is closer
to the front than half he width of the machine, so this can get you a bit
closer. Would this be possible/helpful with your jigsaw?
John Armstrong

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:16:14 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new ones
being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need to enlarge
the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and tiles so I would like
to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done this and if so what is the
best method. I have a range of power tools but because of the distance from
the wall to the back of the sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw.
I have a Rotazip type tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in
these things are up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any
advice or am I looking at a hand saw job?

TIA

John

Also you could use the router horizontally, although not right into the
corners.

John

Many thanks for all the replies. I would not like to try the methods
suggested in some of the replies!!. I think it's a hand job (Oooh Err
missus!)

Once again many thanks

John