John Armstrong

Default Cutting Worktops

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:16:14 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new ones
being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need to enlarge
the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and tiles so I would like
to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done this and if so what is the
best method. I have a range of power tools but because of the distance from
the wall to the back of the sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw.
I have a Rotazip type tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in
these things are up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any
advice or am I looking at a hand saw job?

My jigsaw has the facility to mount the blade sideways. The blade is closer
to the front than half he width of the machine, so this can get you a bit
closer. Would this be possible/helpful with your jigsaw?