Richard

Default Cutting Worktops

"Set Square" wrote in message
John wrote:

I need to replace two sinks (kitchen and utility). Due to the new
ones being 30mm wider (front to back) than the existing ones I need
to enlarge the holes. I do not want to disturb the worktops and
tiles so I would like to cut them in situ(?). Has anybody ever done
this and if so what is the best method. I have a range of power
tools but because of the distance from the wall to the back of the
sink I cannot get in with my router or jigsaw. I have a Rotazip type
tool that may do it but I don't think the cutters in these things are
up to cutting 40mm thick worktops. Can anybody offer any advice or
am I looking at a hand saw job?

TIA

John

If you've got any longish straight bits to cut, you may be able to use an
angle grinder fitted with a circular saw blade. But take care - it ain't

for
the faint hearted - and may chip the surface, beacuse you really need to

cut
from the underside!

You could then finish off with a rotary file - or maybe with a multi-angle
drill bit such as Screwfix D86592 etc.

Have you got any spare bits of worktop to practise on?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

When fitting a sink you end up with a 1" overlap so chipping is not an
issue, whats wrong with a jigsaw, with a blade that cuts on the upstroke?