troubleinstore

Default Damp Proof Membrane ..... ?

I have recently had all the walls in the kitchen plaster boarded, a small
gap was left at the bottom and then the plaster board was skimmed.

I have been advised because it is a concrete floor, to put a damp proof
membrane down first then some laminated floor underlay and upon this put the
cushion flooring.

My question is this. I am about to put some skirting board on, so do I put
the skirting board on and then lay the membrabe up to it, or do I put the
membrane down and let it come up the wall a little and then fix the
skirting.

Your views gratefully accepted.
--
troubleinstore
Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

View my auction items on eBay & eBid:-
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk/auction-idx.html

Rick Dipper

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:37:20 -0000, "troubleinstore"
wrote:

I have recently had all the walls in the kitchen plaster boarded, a small
gap was left at the bottom and then the plaster board was skimmed.

I have been advised because it is a concrete floor, to put a damp proof
membrane down first then some laminated floor underlay and upon this put the
cushion flooring.

My question is this. I am about to put some skirting board on, so do I put
the skirting board on and then lay the membrabe up to it, or do I put the
membrane down and let it come up the wall a little and then fix the
skirting.

Your views gratefully accepted.

I'd put the DPM down, and then up behind the plasterboard, using the
skirting to hold it in place. Up to a point, the more the better.

Rick "1000 quid worth of damp proofing platic in my selfbuild" Dipper

PG

wrote:

I have recently had all the walls in the kitchen plaster boarded, a small
gap was left at the bottom and then the plaster board was skimmed.

I have been advised because it is a concrete floor, to put a damp proof
membrane down first then some laminated floor underlay and upon this put the
cushion flooring.

My question is this. I am about to put some skirting board on, so do I put
the skirting board on and then lay the membrabe up to it, or do I put the
membrane down and let it come up the wall a little and then fix the
skirting.

Your views gratefully accepted.

Without being able to see the job eye-to-eye, I'd say: ss long as
there is no way that dmp can get into the plasterboard, then it
doesn't matter, does it? But since you have left a gap under the
plasterboard, can you not feed the damp membrane into the gap - i.e.,
under the plasterboard? This would put an extra barrier between the
damp-prone floor and the plasterboard. I know you have a gap there
presumably for that purpose, but small gaps have a nack of becoming
bridged after a few years, so the membrane could prove a worthwile
extra line of defense, so to speak.

PG

troubleinstore

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your comments. The gap below the plasterboard is about 1.5" so
I don't think it will get bridged. After installing new kitchen units, I
then move onto the utility room, decorate the upstairs and then hopefully,
sell this place and move to somewhere a little bit more friendlier.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"troubleinstore" writes:
I have recently had all the walls in the kitchen plaster boarded, a small
gap was left at the bottom and then the plaster board was skimmed.

I have been advised because it is a concrete floor, to put a damp proof
membrane down first then some laminated floor underlay and upon this put the
cushion flooring.

My question is this. I am about to put some skirting board on, so do I put
the skirting board on and then lay the membrabe up to it, or do I put the
membrane down and let it come up the wall a little and then fix the
skirting.

If you're starting with no floor or skirtings, you put the skirtings
on after the floor is layed. I would push the membrane under the gap
at the bottom of the plasterboard, as far as it can, ideally to meet
the original wall.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Rick Hughes

"troubleinstore" wrote in message
I have recently had all the walls in the kitchen plaster boarded, a small
gap was left at the bottom and then the plaster board was skimmed.

I have been advised because it is a concrete floor, to put a damp proof
membrane down first then some laminated floor underlay and upon this put

the
cushion flooring.

My question is this. I am about to put some skirting board on, so do I put
the skirting board on and then lay the membrabe up to it, or do I put the
membrane down and let it come up the wall a little and then fix the
skirting

Fold the dam so it runs up the wall a little, in an ideal world it would be
folded in on op of the DPC ... but not possible on an existing building.
You can buy a laminated flooring underlay with a built in DPM .... one such
is Quickstep Comb.

Rick

Rick Hughes

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

[...]

Lat bit should have been "Quickstep Combifloor" ..... spellchecker culled
the word.

stud wall on top of damp proof membrane. vivienne wykes UK diy 1 August 25th 04 03:16 PM
fixing stud to concrete and damp proof course Simon UK diy 8 May 7th 04 10:17 PM
Damp proof membrane tzd3sw UK diy 1 March 5th 04 06:43 AM
More damp testing woes Kooky45 UK diy 22 October 21st 03 11:33 AM