Rob Davies

Default How do I cut a desk for a bay window?

Hi,

How would I go about measuring and cutting a desk to fit into a bay
window? anyone got any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Rob
Lobster

Rob Davies wrote:

How would I go about measuring and cutting a desk to fit into a bay
window? anyone got any pointers?

I take it your major concern is getting the shape of the desktop correct?

Is it a three-sided bay or a curve? Depending on how straight the
angles and edges are, you might get away with a rule and something like
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...44168&id=16123 to
transfer the angles from walls to timber. If it's curved or irregular
(or maybe even if straight-edged), I'd make a template from sheets of
newspaper tapoed together, which you can cut away at and fold by
trial-and-error until it fits. You might want to make a secondary
template from a unfolded, stiff cardboard box, which could span the bay
like the real thing.

David
Mike Dodd

"Rob Davies" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

How would I go about measuring and cutting a desk to fit into a bay
window? anyone got any pointers?

Large sheet of cardboard to use as a template, maybe use newspaper sheets
sellotaped together to form an initial template, transfer to cardboard to
fine tune, before transferring onto wooden top of table and (jigsawing?)

Mike Dodd

Is it a three-sided bay or a curve? Depending on how straight the angles
and edges are, you might get away with a rule and something like
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...44168&id=16123 to transfer
the angles from walls to timber. If it's curved or irregular (or maybe
even if straight-edged), I'd make a template from sheets of newspaper
tapoed together, which you can cut away at and fold by trial-and-error
until it fits. You might want to make a secondary template from a
unfolded, stiff cardboard box, which could span the bay like the real
thing.

And the old adage, measure twice, cut once is appropriate.

Space_Cowby

"Rob Davies" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

How would I go about measuring and cutting a desk to fit into a bay
window? anyone got any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Rob

I will try to explain, it is easier shown on a drawing

1. Measure the internal opening frame to frame.

2. Put a piece of string across this opening and measure the depth i.e. from
the string to the frame.

3. Measure the three sides

4. Measure a diagonal as a check.

You can then transfer these measurements onto your wood or cardboard and
cut.

You could use the same principal for measuring to the wall or window board.

Space_Cowby

"Space_Cowby" wrote in message
. uk...

"Rob Davies" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

How would I go about measuring and cutting a desk to fit into a bay
window? anyone got any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Rob

I will try to explain, it is easier shown on a drawing

1. Measure the internal opening frame to frame.

2. Put a piece of string across this opening and measure the depth i.e.
from the string to the frame.

3. Measure the three sides

4. Measure a diagonal as a check.

You can then transfer these measurements onto your wood or cardboard and
cut.

You could use the same principal for measuring to the wall or window
board.

See here http://www.nigeltyas.co.uk/measure.html

For a 3 sided bay you need measure all shown on the 2 bend pole.

mrcheerful

"Rob Davies" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

How would I go about measuring and cutting a desk to fit into a bay
window? anyone got any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Rob

I did a 5 angle bay work surface by the same sort of method you would cut a
floor tile to file, i.e. put it as close as possible then use a fixed
distance to transfer the measurements, mine was compounded in difficulty by
needing to use three bits of worksurface, but it still turned out to fit
excellently.

mrcheerful

Thanks everyone for your advice, I am going to try cutting cardboard as
suggested.

Cheers

Rob