Richard Faulkner

Default New hinge for old front door?

Hi,

My house is around 100 years old, or more, and one of the hinges on the
front door has split. I am presuming that the door and hinge are either
original, or very old. It's a very heavy door, and a substantial hinge.

The hinge is 3.5 inches high, and 2 inches wide, (when open), and I cant
seem to find any sources of this size of hinge - any ideas.

--
Richard Faulkner
Ian Stirling

Richard Faulkner wrote:
Hi,

My house is around 100 years old, or more, and one of the hinges on the
front door has split. I am presuming that the door and hinge are either
original, or very old. It's a very heavy door, and a substantial hinge.

The hinge is 3.5 inches high, and 2 inches wide, (when open), and I cant
seem to find any sources of this size of hinge - any ideas.

Is there any pressing reason to replace the hinge with an exact match?
I'd start by looking in http://www.toolstation.com/ for a suitable hinge.
Possibly 4 hinges, and cut more recesses.
Richard Faulkner

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
Richard Faulkner wrote:
Hi,

My house is around 100 years old, or more, and one of the hinges on the
front door has split. I am presuming that the door and hinge are either
original, or very old. It's a very heavy door, and a substantial hinge.

The hinge is 3.5 inches high, and 2 inches wide, (when open), and I cant
seem to find any sources of this size of hinge - any ideas.

Is there any pressing reason to replace the hinge with an exact match?
I'd start by looking in http://www.toolstation.com/ for a suitable hinge.
Possibly 4 hinges, and cut more recesses.

I suppose I was hoping I could buy one and screw it in. I was never any
good at woodwork, and cutting recesses fills me with trepidation - I'm
sure I would make a mess of it.

However, your suggestion is probably the right way to go. 4 strong
hinges should mean it will never happen again. I might get a joiner to
cut the recesses, (and possibly fit the hinges)

Many Thanks.

--
Richard Faulkner
Richard Faulkner

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Richard Faulkner wrote:

The hinge is 3.5 inches high, and 2 inches wide, (when open), and I cant
seem to find any sources of this size of hinge - any ideas.

Errm Screwfix has hinges up to 100mm high, which sounds suspiciously
close to 3.5in, in fact up to 4" high "Heavy Duty Double Pressed Steel
Butt Hinge" £11.94

I was hoping to get away without any woodwork, but it seems like the
sensible way is to do it properly with 3 or 4 new hinges and recesses.

100 years old doesn't sound as if it will be anything other than a
standard butt hinge, but if you need "Holy Lord" or other unusual types,
try http://www.pastiron.co.uk/ which has a wide range of reproduction
18th and 19thC hinges.

Other (US) sources:

http://www.doorware.com/
http://www.hardwaresource.com/

Priced in $, so cheap if you can get them to ship to the UK.

Thanks for the help.

--
Richard Faulkner