Wilf

Default Shed Electrics (Oh no, this again...!)

Dear all,

I have lurked for a long time (great group!), and have read nearly
every thread about wiring a shed before I post...

I have the issue as noted before, that I cannot get a seperate cable
from my CU to a new shed (the CU is full and at the front of the
house, major work to add a line). I would like to add a 13A fused RCD
protected spur to my ring main on the first floor of my house and run
the cable (held by a steel wire) with drip loops (I have been learning
from the group!) - it will run a couple of sockets and a light.

I would like to confirm that this is sensible? I will put a seperate
switch at the shed end. And also what cable should I use? Perhaps
Artic flex (aggh!) or Twin and Earth?

(I know it would be better to run a new fuseway from the CU) - but any
advice would be appreciated.
Grunff

Wilf wrote:

I would like to confirm that this is sensible? I will put a seperate
switch at the shed end. And also what cable should I use? Perhaps
Artic flex (aggh!) or Twin and Earth?

I'll leave others to comment on how sensible it is (I'd do it), but as
far as cable goes, I have to say I'm a big fan of arctic flex. I've been
abusing several hundred meters of it over the past 2.5 years, with no
signs of deterioration at all.

--
Grunff
Christian McArdle

house, major work to add a line). I would like to add a 13A fused RCD
protected spur to my ring main on the first floor of my house and run
the cable (held by a steel wire) with drip loops (I have been learning
from the group!) - it will run a couple of sockets and a light.

You'll still need to decide something about earthing.

And also what cable should I use? Perhaps Artic flex (aggh!) or Twin
and Earth?

I'd probably use Hi-Tuf, after ensuring that the manufacturer allows hanging
from a catenery wire. Don't use normal T&E as it isn't UV stable.

Christian.

Shed Electrics Quigs UK diy 20 January 26th 04 09:56 AM
shed electrics Matt Pearson UK diy 7 January 20th 04 09:32 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM
Spur feed to garden shed... Me UK diy 4 August 6th 03 10:13 AM