Default expansion vessel positioning

Hi
I am increasing the size of my heating system (loft convertion) and
need to add another expansion vessel ( already 1 in the combi) I've
managed to size the vessel requird but can't seem to get to the bottom
of where to position it. I have been told that it needs to be as close
to the boiler as possible but this is not easy for me space wise - it
would be far easier to position it in the new upstairs. If it does need
to be close to the boiler could someone explain why - i can't see the
difference. Also should it be in the flow or return ( the 1 in the
boiler is just straight off the tank)
Any help would be gratefully received!
Thanks

sheppy

Thanks guys!

theres plenty of space in the eaves just where the pipes go down to the
original system so I'll put it in the return there. Thats a relief - I
had nightmares trying to work out how to get it close to the boiler
when the boiler is fitted tightly into a kitchen cupboard!
One thing I forgot - I take it it is just teed into the return pipe?
Thanks again

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"sheppy" writes:
Thanks guys!

theres plenty of space in the eaves just where the pipes go down to the
original system so I'll put it in the return there. Thats a relief - I
had nightmares trying to work out how to get it close to the boiler
when the boiler is fitted tightly into a kitchen cupboard!
One thing I forgot - I take it it is just teed into the return pipe?

Yes. I might include an isolation valve so you could change it in the
future without draining everything down (although I didn't think of
that when I fitted mine;-).

If you're shoving it in the loft, I would put it under the loft
insulation so it isn't likely to freeze, although you don't want it
hidden either.

--
Andrew Gabriel