Default expansion vessel positioning

Hi
I am increasing the size of my heating system (loft convertion) and
need to add another expansion vessel ( already 1 in the combi) I've
managed to size the vessel requird but can't seem to get to the bottom
of where to position it. I have been told that it needs to be as close
to the boiler as possible but this is not easy for me space wise - it
would be far easier to position it in the new upstairs. If it does need
to be close to the boiler could someone explain why - i can't see the
difference. Also should it be in the flow or return ( the 1 in the
boiler is just straight off the tank)
Any help would be gratefully received!
Thanks