N. Thornton

Default Energy-saver bulbs.

In message , Mark Wood
) wrote:

Probably a FAQ but here goes...

What is the relative HEAT output from one of these bulbs?
I'm presuming a '20W Energy use/100w Brightness' saver bulb puts out

little
heat and is perfectly safe to use with a '60W Max' dangly paper

lampshade.

But wanted to check... :+/

A 60w rated fitting can take a cfl of anything upto 60w. But that's
not the whole story: the cfl bulb itself will not always work
successfully. CFLs dont like enclosed spaces that warm up, so in
enclosed lights sometimes the max power rating for the proper working
of the bulb can be a lot lower. Dimming and early failure are the
problems.

Many cfls wont behave when used outdoors in the cold, some will. For
that you need to select a type suitable for the job. I hear Philips SL
series work well outdoors.

NT
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
Many cfls wont behave when used outdoors in the cold, some will. For
that you need to select a type suitable for the job. I hear Philips SL
series work well outdoors.

Think that's what I've got - looks a bit like an ordinary, but large, bulb.
They do come up to full output even in the cold - like last night - but
take some time.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
Many cfls wont behave when used outdoors in the cold, some will. For
that you need to select a type suitable for the job. I hear Philips SL
series work well outdoors.

Think that's what I've got - looks a bit like an ordinary, but large,

bulb.
They do come up to full output even in the cold - like last night - but
take some time.

My Experenice of the Philips SL is that they are extremely dim when first
fired up in the cold- more so than many other CFL's, and when very cold will
not stay struck initially and flicker on and off for upto a minute.

I cant think this does much for tube life??

I've found the El Cheapo IKEA's CFL's to be the best overall. Just get the
highest wattage ones they do.

Tim..

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
Many cfls wont behave when used outdoors in the cold, some will. For
that you need to select a type suitable for the job. I hear Philips SL
series work well outdoors.

Think that's what I've got - looks a bit like an ordinary, but large, bulb.
They do come up to full output even in the cold - like last night - but
take some time.

The SL range were the first compact fluorescents, with magnetic
ballasts and glow startes, dating back to about 1980. I don't
think they're manufacturered any more. I still have a couple
of opal SL13's, and a clear SL25. The first was the SL18, and
there was also an outdoor SL18 with spherical outer and all
water-proof joints, and a special outdoor fitting which used
it.

--
Andrew Gabriel