Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
Many cfls wont behave when used outdoors in the cold, some will. For
that you need to select a type suitable for the job. I hear Philips SL
series work well outdoors.

Think that's what I've got - looks a bit like an ordinary, but large, bulb.
They do come up to full output even in the cold - like last night - but
take some time.

The SL range were the first compact fluorescents, with magnetic
ballasts and glow startes, dating back to about 1980. I don't
think they're manufacturered any more. I still have a couple
of opal SL13's, and a clear SL25. The first was the SL18, and
there was also an outdoor SL18 with spherical outer and all
water-proof joints, and a special outdoor fitting which used
it.

--
Andrew Gabriel