N. Thornton

Default Energy-saver bulbs.

In message , Mark Wood
) wrote:

Probably a FAQ but here goes...

What is the relative HEAT output from one of these bulbs?
I'm presuming a '20W Energy use/100w Brightness' saver bulb puts out

little
heat and is perfectly safe to use with a '60W Max' dangly paper

lampshade.

But wanted to check... :+/

A 60w rated fitting can take a cfl of anything upto 60w. But that's
not the whole story: the cfl bulb itself will not always work
successfully. CFLs dont like enclosed spaces that warm up, so in
enclosed lights sometimes the max power rating for the proper working
of the bulb can be a lot lower. Dimming and early failure are the
problems.

Many cfls wont behave when used outdoors in the cold, some will. For
that you need to select a type suitable for the job. I hear Philips SL
series work well outdoors.

NT