Roger Moss

Default Stone floor - traffic wax or sealant?

I'm getting some limestone for my kitchen floor and window sills (from
Oxfordshire). The quarry says they always treat it with linseed oil (which
hardens it) & traffic wax but this sounds a very labour intensive finish to
maintain. We don't wear shoes in the house but even so it will at some
point get grubby and the wax will darken - what then? As far as I can see,
any dirt stuck to the wax won't come off with water (and I don't want the
kind of wax that shows every water mark). I don't want to use anything that
removes wax so it needs repolishing and I don't want it getting dark or
grubby patches that can't be cleaned.

I'm thinking of using Hagesan impregnator on it. This dries clear and
doesn't discolour, but probably does not harden the stone. It might also
seal it so it cannot breathe. There's also HG golvpolish, but this seems to
be just another wax.

Any advice? Is traffic wax trouble free or not? What is the best
treatment?

Thanks
Roger

Rick Dipper

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:45:17 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

[...]

Whatever advise on product you get, I would try them on scrap bits of
stone. This could be an expensive mistake.

Rick

Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

Have a look back in the previous threads for comments related to
Lithofin products (use Google Groups).

I would not use a wax for this application. Lithofin have
impregnators and treatments that will create various effects without
needing maintenance. You can go for glossy or something more matt.

Have you talked to anybody about the suitability of limestone in a
kitchen? It is susceptible to anything acidic.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Bath sealant Lawrie UK diy 4 February 25th 04 09:57 AM
Stone flags in kitchen - how to treat? - revist. Andy Hall UK diy 2 January 17th 04 01:44 PM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
bathroom sealant Reestit Mutton UK diy 13 December 1st 03 10:03 AM
Water through stone vandelay UK diy 10 August 21st 03 03:40 PM