keith

Default extra socket off fused spur - is this OK?

In our 9yr old house there's a utility room that has a washing machine with
worktop above that I use as a workbench. But there's no power socket near
the "workbench".

The washing machine, fridge, etc in kitchen & utility room all come off a
separate ring cct marked as "fixed appliances" on the fuse board. Each has a
fused conn unit above the worktop feeding an unswitched socket below the
worktop for the appliance.

Is it OK to provide a socket outlet spurred off the FCU which I can then
use to power tools on the workbench?

Thanks

PS I'll do it before Jan 1st in case utility rooms with sinks in still count
as kitchens....

Lurch

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:30:50 +0000 (UTC), "keith"
strung together this:

Is it OK to provide a socket outlet spurred off the FCU which I can then
use to power tools on the workbench?

Providing it is part of the ring and not a spur then yes.

PS I'll do it before Jan 1st in case utility rooms with sinks in still count
as kitchens....

You obviously have misunderstood Part P, but we'll not go into that.
--

SJW

Lurch wrote:
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:30:50 +0000 (UTC), "keith"
strung together this:

Is it OK to provide a socket outlet spurred off the FCU which I can then
use to power tools on the workbench?

Providing it is part of the ring and not a spur then yes.

Surely you can have as many sockets as you like on a *fused* spur
which is what the OP said I believe.

--
Chris Green
Owain

Chris Green wrote
| Is it OK to provide a socket outlet spurred off the FCU which
| I can then use to power tools on the workbench?
| Providing it is part of the ring and not a spur then yes.
| Surely you can have as many sockets as you like on a *fused* spur
| which is what the OP said I believe.

It would only be a fused spur if it was taken from the load (fused) side of
the FCU, whether that was the OP's intention was not at all clear.

Owain

Christian McArdle

Is it OK to provide a socket outlet spurred off the FCU which I can then
use to power tools on the workbench?

It may or may not be, depending on the configuration of the existing
circuit. It is not clear if the fixed appliances circuit is a radial or a
ring configuration or the size of the conductors. Without this information,
it is impossible to state if it is safe to spur directly off the FCU. It is
also important to know the capacity of the circuit. I'd expect a 'B' 32A MCB
at the consumer unit, which should be checked.

Christian.