Mike Barnard

Default Regs re electrics in the bathroom? Requirements for a socket?

Hi.

Decided to finish my tiling and do the last wall in the bathroom. At
last! However, there's an old power supply thats no longer in use
high up on that wall. It used to supply an electric heater back in
the 60's when the place was built and consists of a single size socket
recess with a metal box, a single twin and earth cable (still live)
coming in from the bottom of the wall and a fused, switched,
permanently wired faceplate. I'm sure you recognise the setup.

To remove it means removing the cable, which is buried in the wall
under a flat plastic cover under the plaster. I really don't want to
dig the wall out and ideally, if it's allowed in the regs, I'd like to
put a socket up so I could put a cheap mini hifi system of some sort
on a high shelf.

It's obvious even without reading the regs that I can't (legally) put
a standard three pin single socket up there. What, if anything, CAN I
put there to supply a music machine? (I know the damp atmosphere will
take it's toll on the system, but the S.O. has to have her music when
having her hour long soaks! We'll be using an el cheapo system,
maybe 2nd hand. Disposable, in that sense.)

So, anyone point me to the technical name for the correct socket I
need? Many thanks.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
:::Jerry::::

"Mike Barnard" wrote in message
snip

It's obvious even without reading the regs that I can't (legally) put
a standard three pin single socket up there. What, if anything, CAN I
put there to supply a music machine? (I know the damp atmosphere will
take it's toll on the system, but the S.O. has to have her music when
having her hour long soaks! We'll be using an el cheapo system,
maybe 2nd hand. Disposable, in that sense.)
snip

AIUI for something that isn't fix up on the wall beyond reach and / or that
is operated by pull-cord, a shaver point with a 1:1 isolating transformer.

Might be cheaper and safer to but her a battery operated hifi and some
rechargeable batteries.....

Owain

"Mike Barnard" wrote
| To remove it means removing the cable, which is buried in the wall
| under a flat plastic cover under the plaster. I really don't want to
| dig the wall out

You could cut and make safe (junction box) the cable above the ceiling, then
just tile over the remains in the bathroom wall.

Alternatively, leave it in situ. Someone in the future might want a heater
there.

| and ideally, if it's allowed in the regs, I'd like to put a socket
| up so I could put a cheap mini hifi system of some sort on a high
| shelf.
| It's obvious even without reading the regs that I can't (legally) put
| a standard three pin single socket up there. What, if anything, CAN I
| put there to supply a music machine?

Fused connection unit.

| (I know the damp atmosphere will take it's toll on the system,

its. And soapy fingermarks will do the Deutsche Grammophon vinyl no good.

| but the S.O. has to have her music when having her hour long soaks!

A radio feed into the bathroom is very useful for keeping track of time in
the morning rush too.

| We'll be using an el cheapo system, maybe 2nd hand. Disposable, in
| that sense.)

Rather than have mains appliance in the bathroom, why not put the music
system elsewhere in the house (main bedroom perhaps) and have an extension
speaker(s) in the bathroom. This is what I have done off my bedroom radio
with the speaker mounted out of reach of the bath. You can get
damp-resistant speakers but I didn't feel the need.

Owain

Mike Barnard

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:00:04 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

Hi.

"Mike Barnard" wrote
| To remove it means removing the cable, which is buried in the wall
| under a flat plastic cover under the plaster. I really don't want to
| dig the wall out

You could cut and make safe (junction box) the cable above the ceiling, then
just tile over the remains in the bathroom wall.

The cable comes UP, from the ground floor ceiling. I could do the
same and cut it off down below, I suppose, but ideally I'd like to use
it. IF I safely can.

Alternatively, leave it in situ. Someone in the future might want a heater
there.

Means leaving an unused, yellowed old plate. Nah, but thanks anyway.
(yes, I could renew it I know.)

| and ideally, if it's allowed in the regs, I'd like to put a socket
| up so I could put a cheap mini hifi system of some sort on a high
| shelf.
| It's obvious even without reading the regs that I can't (legally) put
| a standard three pin single socket up there. What, if anything, CAN I
| put there to supply a music machine?

Fused connection unit.

Huh? Googles...

First hit...
http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/Ele...FusedConn1.htm

Yeah, thats whats up there now, just old. I was hoping to find
something 'disconnectable' if thats acceptable English. I suppose I'm
just going to have to hardwire in whatever we use.

| (I know the damp atmosphere will take it's toll on the system,

its. And soapy fingermarks will do the Deutsche Grammophon vinyl no good.

Don't take the michael, I still listen to my vinyl more than these new
coffee coasters. Just not in the bathroom.

| but the S.O. has to have her music when having her hour long soaks!

A radio feed into the bathroom is very useful for keeping track of time in
the morning rush too.

R4 meself.

| We'll be using an el cheapo system, maybe 2nd hand. Disposable, in
| that sense.)

Rather than have mains appliance in the bathroom, why not put the music
system elsewhere in the house (main bedroom perhaps) and have an extension
speaker(s) in the bathroom. This is what I have done off my bedroom radio
with the speaker mounted out of reach of the bath. You can get
damp-resistant speakers but I didn't feel the need.

We have this at the moment, but it means wires going through the wall
and through the new tiles, having the hi-fi in our 2 1/2 yo sons room
and most importantly, SO can't use the remote on it through the wall!
Oh, the ignomy of it.

Owain

Thanks for your input.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Mike Barnard

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:13:05 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Mike Barnard" wrote in message
.. .
snip

It's obvious even without reading the regs that I can't (legally) put
a standard three pin single socket up there. What, if anything, CAN I
put there to supply a music machine? (I know the damp atmosphere will
take it's toll on the system, but the S.O. has to have her music when
having her hour long soaks! We'll be using an el cheapo system,
maybe 2nd hand. Disposable, in that sense.)
snip

AIUI for something that isn't fix up on the wall beyond reach and / or that
is operated by pull-cord, a shaver point with a 1:1 isolating transformer.

(Google throws up nothing I understand!) OK, a shaver point type
socket with a pull cord, feeding this transformer, right? OK, I'll
make enquiries in my local electrical retailers. Thanks for the idea.

Might be cheaper and safer to but her a battery operated hifi and some
rechargeable batteries.....

Probably, but it's not What_She_Wants.

Mike Barnard wrote:
[...]

Here's a good link http://amdea.org.uk/bath1.1.pdf

My understanding is, that providing the hi fi is zone3 (more than .6m
from a bath) it can be used. BUT it musn't be plugged in to a socket,
but needs to be hard wired into a fused spur. The other rule is that it
must be protected by a 30mA rcd, which may be an issue if this
connection is on an unprotected main.

Presumeably you are not allowed a socket in the bathroom, to prevent
you plugging in a bar heater and resting it on the side of the bath
while you have a shower.

Jim

You could get creative and wire in a 12 volt power supply outside the bog
and put a Car cd/radio in.

BigWallop

[...]

You could put just a fused flex outlet connection unit in place of the
switched fused spur unit. Then hardwire a mains radio into that with no
plug on it. BUT, and it's a big BUT, you will have to cover the radio with
a box of some kind to keep it from being touched with wet hands.

Lurch

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:47:31 +0000, Mike Barnard
strung together this:

We have this at the moment, but it means wires going through the wall
and through the new tiles,

You could bring the wires through the ceiling, or buy some ceiling
mounted recessed speakers.

having the hi-fi in our 2 1/2 yo sons room

If you extend the speaker cables you could put it anywhere.

and most importantly, SO can't use the remote on it through the wall!
Oh, the ignomy of it.

You could get a remote control extender, a receiver sits on the wall
in the bathroom and sends the IR signal from the remote through a
cable to a transmitter located in front of the stereo\radio affair.

The advantage to doing it all this way is that you can have a decent
system as it won't be in the bathroom, and if you use the recessed in
the ceiling speakers and get a speaker selector switch you could have
the supplied speakers in the room that it is located in.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:26:52 +0000, Mike Barnard
wrote:

the S.O. has to have her music when
having her hour long soaks!

iPod for Christmas. 8-)

Lurch

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 03:17:16 +0000, Andy Dingley
strung together this:

iPod for Christmas. 8-)

Bloody hell, another one sucked in by the hype. They're crap, you can
get a decent MP3 player with more storage, better battery life and
more broad range of compatible formats for less money.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
:::Jerry::::

wrote:

"Mike Barnard" wrote in message
.. .
snip

It's obvious even without reading the regs that I can't (legally) put
a standard three pin single socket up there. What, if anything, CAN I
put there to supply a music machine? (I know the damp atmosphere will
take it's toll on the system, but the S.O. has to have her music when
having her hour long soaks! We'll be using an el cheapo system,
maybe 2nd hand. Disposable, in that sense.)
snip

AIUI for something that isn't fix up on the wall beyond reach and / or

that
is operated by pull-cord, a shaver point with a 1:1 isolating

transformer.

(Google throws up nothing I understand!) OK, a shaver point type
socket with a pull cord, feeding this transformer, right?

No, the shaver point has a built in transformer and an automatic switch,
when you plug a shaver into the socket it operates the internal switch in
the socket.

OK, I'll
make enquiries in my local electrical retailers. Thanks for the idea.

The problem is, the hifi would need a shaver lead / plug.

Might be cheaper and safer to but her a battery operated hifi and some
rechargeable batteries.....

Probably, but it's not What_She_Wants.

It's not a case of what she want, unless you really want her to meet with a
case of Darwinism...