Mike Barnard wrote:
Hi.

Decided to finish my tiling and do the last wall in the bathroom. At
last! However, there's an old power supply thats no longer in use
high up on that wall. It used to supply an electric heater back in
the 60's when the place was built and consists of a single size

socket
recess with a metal box, a single twin and earth cable (still live)
coming in from the bottom of the wall and a fused, switched,
permanently wired faceplate. I'm sure you recognise the setup.

To remove it means removing the cable, which is buried in the wall
under a flat plastic cover under the plaster. I really don't want to
dig the wall out and ideally, if it's allowed in the regs, I'd like

put a socket up so I could put a cheap mini hifi system of some sort
on a high shelf.

It's obvious even without reading the regs that I can't (legally) put
a standard three pin single socket up there. What, if anything, CAN

put there to supply a music machine? (I know the damp atmosphere

will
take it's toll on the system, but the S.O. has to have her music when
having her hour long soaks! We'll be using an el cheapo system,
maybe 2nd hand. Disposable, in that sense.)

So, anyone point me to the technical name for the correct socket I
need? Many thanks.

Here's a good link http://amdea.org.uk/bath1.1.pdf

My understanding is, that providing the hi fi is zone3 (more than .6m
from a bath) it can be used. BUT it musn't be plugged in to a socket,
but needs to be hard wired into a fused spur. The other rule is that it
must be protected by a 30mA rcd, which may be an issue if this
connection is on an unprotected main.

Presumeably you are not allowed a socket in the bathroom, to prevent
you plugging in a bar heater and resting it on the side of the bath
while you have a shower.