Hugo Nebula

Default CH pump - fast or slow?

Which is best - running a central heating pump at its fastest or
slowest speed setting?
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants
Lurch

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:46:12 +0000, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost
strung together this:

Which is best - running a central heating pump at its fastest or
slowest speed setting?

Depends, there's a setup process involved. Generally faster for bigger
systems, but run it so it works and it's quiet.
--

SJW
Alan

In message , Lurch
wrote
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:46:12 +0000, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost
strung together this:

Which is best - running a central heating pump at its fastest or
slowest speed setting?

Depends, there's a setup process involved. Generally faster for bigger
systems, but run it so it works and it's quiet.

Depending on your system, make sure the faster speeds are not pumping
hot water into the header tank.
--
Alan

Lurch

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:27:40 +0000, Alan
strung together this:

Depending on your system, make sure the faster speeds are not pumping
hot water into the header tank.

Thanks but the pump in my combi is set perfectly. If I have any
problems withh pump speed I'll be sure to ask though.
--

SJW
Set Square

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

Which is best - running a central heating pump at its fastest or
slowest speed setting?

Run it at the lowest speed which gives an adequate performance. With a
conventional boiler, this would imply an 11 degC drop across all radiators
when they are correctly balanced.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Malcolm Reeves

wrote:

Which is best - running a central heating pump at its fastest or
slowest speed setting?

The right speed. Boilers are designed for 80C out, 70C back, a 10C
drop. Radiators are designed for 75C average temperature.

To fast and boiler drop is 10C giving reduced efficiency as the lower
the water temperature the more energy taken from the hot gases.
Radiator temperature is higher making them give out more that their
rating.

To slow and boiler drop is 10C. Efficiency is higher but 55C and
you run the risk of condensation and rust in the boiler heat
exchanger. Radiator temperature is lower so their output is less.

The 80C is the turn off temperature so that the fixed value so
increase drop across the boiler works back from that. For example,
20C drop, is 80C out, 60C back, radiator temp 70C.

All the above ASSUMES conventional boiler. Condensers like a low
return temp as that helps them condense. For them 55C return is good
so you have a lower radiator temperature and lower radiator output and
hence condensers need larger radiators (if they are to condense all
season).

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - www.CharteredConsultant.co.uk - The Consultant A-List
IMM

"Set Square" wrote in message
Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

Which is best - running a central heating pump at its fastest or
slowest speed setting?

Run it at the lowest speed which gives an adequate performance. With a
conventional boiler, this would imply an 11 degC drop across all radiators
when they are correctly balanced.

Misadvise. You run it to what the balance procedure dictates.

Set Square

IMM wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message

Run it at the lowest speed which gives an adequate performance. With
a conventional boiler, this would imply an 11 degC drop across all
radiators when they are correctly balanced.

Misadvise. You run it to what the balance procedure dictates.

Haven't seen you for a bit. I was begininning to think that you'd taken the
advice you offered to me - and topped yourself!

Since you *are* still around, please explain in words of one syllable how my
advice gives a different result from following the balancing procedure.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

IMM

"Set Square" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message

Run it at the lowest speed which gives an adequate performance. With
a conventional boiler, this would imply an 11 degC drop across all
radiators when they are correctly balanced.

Misadvise. You run it to what the balance procedure dictates.

Haven't seen you for a bit. I was begininning to think that you'd taken

the
advice you offered to me - and topped yourself!

Since you *are* still around, please explain in words of one syllable how

my
advice gives a different result from following the balancing procedure.

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

Roger

The message
from "IMM" contains these words:

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

Why don't you answer the question? You can't of course which is why you
answer anything that baffles you with obfuscation.

--
Roger

Lurch

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:37:25 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

**** off nobcheese.
--

SJW

Roger

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "IMM" contains these words:

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

Why don't you answer the question? You can't of course which is why you
answer anything that baffles you with obfuscation.

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

More obfuscation.

You need to detail your proprietary balance procedure to demonstrate
that it does indeed dictate the pump speed rather than adding it on as a
corollary.

--
Roger
IMM

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "IMM" contains these words:

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

Why don't you answer the question? You can't of course which is why

you
answer anything that baffles you with obfuscation.

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

More obfuscation.

You need to detail your proprietary balance procedure

The standard balance procedure. You do not guess the pump speed.

Lurch

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:20:57 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

Why don't you **** off and die?
--

SJW
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:20:57 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

You need to detail your proprietary balance procedure

The standard balance procedure. You do not guess the pump speed.

Why don't you **** off and die?

Do not give advise on something you know nothing.

Lurch

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:36:54 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

Now be a good chap and **** off and die.
--

SJW
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:36:54 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

Do not give advise on something you know nothing.

Do not give advise on something you know nothing.

I have an echo.

I repeat: " Do not give advise on something you know nothing."

Set Square

IMM wrote:

I repeat: " Do not give advise on something you know nothing."

Where did you learn your English?

Did you mean to say "Do not give adviCe on something ABOUT WHICH to know
nothing"?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lurch

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:55:14 -0000, "Set Square"
strung together this:

Where did you learn your English?

Did you mean to say "Do not give adviCe on something ABOUT WHICH to know
nothing"?

Careful, he'll have the post police onto you......
--

SJW
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
You need to detail your proprietary balance procedure

The standard balance procedure. You do not guess the pump speed.

Why don't you **** off and die?

Do not give advise on something you know nothing.

But it's advice which can be followed. Yours, as usual, means nothing.
Even if the sentence made sense.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Set Square wrote:
I repeat: " Do not give advise on something you know nothing."

Where did you learn your English?

Did you mean to say "Do not give adviCe on something ABOUT WHICH to know
nothing"?

That would be the norm from IMM too. ;-)

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "IMM" contains these words:

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

Why don't you answer the question? You can't of course which is why

you
answer anything that baffles you with obfuscation.

I repeat...."You run it to what the balance procedure dictates".

More obfuscation.

You need to detail your proprietary balance procedure

The standard balance procedure. You do not guess the pump speed.

Okay, let's assume I don't know how to set up a central heating system.
Please detail what the correct procedure entails for me.

Lurch

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:59:59 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

See the FAQ.

ITYM "I have no idea what I'm on about".
--

SJW
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:59:59 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

See the FAQ.

"I have no idea what I'm on about".

You do appear confused. Get it sorted.

Mike

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:59:59 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

See the FAQ.

ITYM "I have no idea what I'm on about".

Yep. I was hoping he might summarize Phil's document and show some
understanding of it. Sadly even that appears beyond him.

IMM

"Mike" wrote in message

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:59:59 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

See the FAQ.

ITYM "I have no idea what I'm on about".

Yep. I was hoping he might summarize Phil's document and show some
understanding of it. Sadly even that appears beyond him.

What don't you know?

Mike

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:59:59 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

See the FAQ.

ITYM "I have no idea what I'm on about".

Yep. I was hoping he might summarize Phil's document and show some
understanding of it. Sadly even that appears beyond him.

What don't you know?

I've read and understood the FAQ. The original poster probably didn't even
know they were there yet all you could come out with was a list of obscure
comments designed to keep the person unenlighted about what to do. This is
both bad manners and a waste of Usenet bandwidth.

raden

In message , IMM
writes

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:20:57 -0000, "IMM" strung
together this:

You need to detail your proprietary balance procedure

The standard balance procedure. You do not guess the pump speed.

Why don't you **** off and die?

Do not give advise on something you know nothing.

Now this is somewhere that we wish you would demonstrate your obvious
abilities
--
geoff
raden

In message , Lurch
writes
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:55:14 -0000, "Set Square"
strung together this:

Where did you learn your English?

Did you mean to say "Do not give adviCe on something ABOUT WHICH to know
nothing"?

Careful, he'll have the post police onto you......

Only if he managed to spell their email address correctly

--
geoff
Rick Hughes

"Mike" wrote in message

The standard balance procedure. You do not guess the pump speed.

Okay, let's assume I don't know how to set up a central heating system.
Please detail what the correct procedure entails for me.

I wrote a full article on balancing including setting up the pump .... it
used to be in the FAQ ... take a look.
If it isn't there anymore let me know and I'll eMail you a copy.

Rick

Mike

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

The standard balance procedure. You do not guess the pump speed.

Okay, let's assume I don't know how to set up a central heating system.
Please detail what the correct procedure entails for me.

I wrote a full article on balancing including setting up the pump .... it
used to be in the FAQ ... take a look.
If it isn't there anymore let me know and I'll eMail you a copy.

Thanks - not sure if it was yours I read but the FAQ worked fine. What I
objected to was IMM assuming new posters were somehow omnipotent and knew
lots of information was available there.