Default Best place to buy cheap paving slabs

We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

--
Chris Green
Scott Mills

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

Wickes do a very cheap slab at about 80p a slab they were plain grey and
about 3/4inch thick. I bought them a year ago so they may have gone up a
bit now... Also, I found Wickes delivery to be much cheaper than BnQ. Wickes
will deliver to me for 20quid, but BnQ want 30 (and they are about the same
distance away)

Scott

Jason Scott

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

--
Chris Green

Try the local council, they used to sell them off cheap at one time.

Cicero

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

--
Chris Green

==================
Most builders' merchants (Midlands) will sell 600 x 600 (2' x 2' approx) for
about £2.20 and they won't charge twenty or thirty pounds for delivery. The
standard grey paving slabs will also be much thicker than the smaller ones
from Wickes etc.

Cic.

Scott Mills

"Cicero" wrote in message

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

not me:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=12 8
0

Paper2002AD

Drive around any area with upmarket houses a few years old and you are almost
guaranteed to see builders ripping up slabs to put down a block paved drive or
similar.

Look out for builders skips and eventually you will find unwanted slabs
Rick Dipper

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:35:45 +0100, "Jason Scott"
wrote:

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

--
Chris Green

Try the local council, they used to sell them off cheap at one time.

The council ones off the pavments are high quality, and very very very
heavy. I can lay about 6-10 a day of these, the cheepo wickes ones I
can do vastly more of them, call me a whimp ........

Rick

RichardS

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

Our Local Authority refuse site has a section for paving slabs for reuse - I
think that you can remove them if they are there. I have no idea whether
they charge for them, though, it's highly likely that they do, but they
should be cheaper than buying new.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Scott Mills wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

not me:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=12 8
0

More expensive than new ones from B&Q.

--
Chris Green

RichardS noaccess@invalid wrote:
wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

Our Local Authority refuse site has a section for paving slabs for reuse - I
think that you can remove them if they are there. I have no idea whether
they charge for them, though, it's highly likely that they do, but they
should be cheaper than buying new.

A couple of people have suggested local authority, I'll try asking
them, thanks. Thanks for all the responses in this thread.

--
Chris Green
RichardS

wrote in message
We're after some plain concrete/cement paving slabs for paths in our
vegetable patch, where's likely to be the cheapest place to get them?
We need quite a few, say 60 or 70 500mm square slabs.

B&Q have 400mm square slabs at just over $1 each, is this likely to be
as good as anywhere?

Our Local Authority refuse site has a section for paving slabs for

reuse - I
think that you can remove them if they are there. I have no idea

whether
they charge for them, though, it's highly likely that they do, but they
should be cheaper than buying new.

A couple of people have suggested local authority, I'll try asking
them, thanks. Thanks for all the responses in this thread.

Just to clarify my post - this is an area in the tip where people can leave
their old paving slabs for others to take and use, not the re-use of
ex-council hi-spec municipal slabs.

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, OK, my reply was sort of 'generic' to a number of posts. :-)

--
Chris Green
John Rouse

In article , StealthUK
writes

I constantly hear that Builder's merchants are cheaper than sheds, in
this NG, but have yet to see any evidence!

The builder's merchants I have locally are Fitzgerald Burke, Travis
Perkins, Buildbase and Jewson.

I thought that for some time, but a little local hire firm has expanded
its BM side, and is now cheaper than Wickes. I went in the other day and
his high density concrete blocks were cheaper than Wickes cinder blocks.

Of course you have to remember to add VAT and delivery - the latter is
£3 no matter what you order.

J.
--
John Rouse
chris French

In message , StealthUK
writes

I constantly hear that Builder's merchants are cheaper than sheds, in
this NG, but have yet to see any evidence!

The builder's merchants I have locally are Fitzgerald Burke, Travis
Perkins, Buildbase and Jewson.

Some examples over last year:

Needed 2 pallets bricks. Lowest Merchants price was 40p plus vat. Same
exact brick in B&Q was 28p incl.(and that was without buying a whole
pallet)

Block paving: Again B&Q were cheapest closely followed by Wickes.

Okay, they do have a scaled discount system but even when I have tried
to talk turkey it still isn't cheaper.

I think it does depend on what you are buying, and which sheds - B&Q
Warehouse is cheaper in some things than the ordinary B&Q for instance.
I use both for buying my stuff. Certainly they are competitive on many
things.

One area which the BM wins for me is in delivery - it's 'free', but more
importantly, they deliver every day. So I can ring up and ask for a bag
of ballast say and have it delivered pretty much when I want. another
area is choice, OK B&Q have a good price on the bricks they sell or
flags, but a limited range, my BM has a much bigger range (and they will
sell a single brick)

--
Chris French, Leeds

Paving Slabs Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld UK diy 9 March 8th 04 07:53 PM
patio slabs that won't stick down again. john west++++ UK diy 3 October 3rd 03 08:01 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM
Paving Stone Joints chris French UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:32 AM