Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Default Paving Slabs

Can anyone tell me what the standard size is for a paving slab and a rough
cost per slab for a basic concrete type?

I need to lay a base in preparation for an 8'x6' garden shed and am trying
to get an idea of how many slabs I'll need and their cost as well as the
building sand etc.

TIA

Mike Taylor

The standard size for a paving slab is directly proportional to the
proverbial length of a piece of string. Cost is also very similar.
Seriously slabs come in a wide variety of standard sizes 300x300, 450x450,
600x600 plus many many more
go to a buildersmerchant, garden centre and see what they have got plus
price etc

Harry Bloomfield

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld used his keyboard to write :
Can anyone tell me what the standard size is for a paving slab and a rough
cost per slab for a basic concrete type?

I need to lay a base in preparation for an 8'x6' garden shed and am trying
to get an idea of how many slabs I'll need and their cost as well as the
building sand etc.

TIA

IMHO it is better to set huts and similar up off the ground to help
prevent rot, even if you lay a concrete base. Why not simply put down
brick piers for it to sit on? Much cheaper than slabs too.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Can anyone tell me what the standard size is for a paving slab and a
rough
cost per slab for a basic concrete type?

I need to lay a base in preparation for an 8'x6' garden shed and am

trying
to get an idea of how many slabs I'll need and their cost as well as the
building sand etc.

TIA

IMHO it is better to set huts and similar up off the ground to help
prevent rot, even if you lay a concrete base. Why not simply put down
brick piers for it to sit on? Much cheaper than slabs too.

when we eventually get around to buying a shed, we were planning on putting
it on a couple of paving slabs at each corner (we have a fair few available
after lifting the patio last year) - would that give enough height off the
ground? (and is it best to fill the space between the slabs underneath the
shed with gravel?)

Harry Bloomfield

on 06/03/2004, a supposed :
IMHO it is better to set huts and similar up off the ground to help
prevent rot, even if you lay a concrete base. Why not simply put down
brick piers for it to sit on? Much cheaper than slabs too.

when we eventually get around to buying a shed, we were planning on putting
it on a couple of paving slabs at each corner (we have a fair few available
after lifting the patio last year) - would that give enough height off the
ground? (and is it best to fill the space between the slabs underneath the
shed with gravel?)

I would simply aim for having the joists of the hut floor raised above
the ground level, such that there is no likleyhood of any contact with
the ground, nor any chance of contact with wet slabs or concrete and
plenty of air flow under it.

Sat directly on slabs or a concrete base, I would be concerned that the
rain would fall on the concrete and perhaps be funnelled through onto
the joists.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

chris French

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
on 06/03/2004, a supposed :
[...]

Indeed.

For our shed I bedded some half concrete blocks into dry sand and cement
(lying flat not upright) laid treated fence posts across those and then
put the shed onto those. (one reason was to get enough height as the
ground sloped a bit.. Alos it needed a lot less block and levelling etc.

Note that the joists on sheds aren't that thick and need plenty of
support as well, each corner won't do.

No there is no need to cover the ground with anything. Nothing is going
to grow it's to dark

--
Chris French, Leeds
chris French

In message , Darren Griffin -
PocketGPSWorld writes
Can anyone tell me what the standard size is for a paving slab and a rough
cost per slab for a basic concrete type?

You can get basic 400, or 450 mm Sq. flags from a Shed for about a quid.
They tend to be a bit on a thin side (often about 32mm) but ok for a
shed base. Alternatively the next size up for basic slabs is usually 600
mm sq. usually a bit thicker as well.

If you go to a BM or some bigger sheds you will get BS flags - these are
the basic grey sort used for pavements etc. typical size is 600x900 but
there are others. Beware though, they are 50mm thick and much stronger
and bloody heavy - difficult to lay if you aren't used to them - and
really uncessary.

As has been said, having the shed rest direct on these though might not
be a good idea. I prefer my blocks and beams technique

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

is an excellent site for all things paving related.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Robin Soper

chris French wrote in message ...
.

No there is no need to cover the ground with anything. Nothing is going
to grow it's to dark

A layer of DPC/felt underneath will prevent rot from setting in. Maybe
consider partially buried railway sleepers for a base?

Regards
Robin
Jerry Built

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Darren Griffin wrote
I need to lay a base in preparation for an 8'x6' garden shed

IMHO it is better to set huts and similar up off the ground to help
prevent rot, even if you lay a concrete base. Why not simply put down
brick piers for it to sit on? Much cheaper than slabs too.

Cheaper, less work, far better for the hut/shed's longevity. However,
you are likely to need 4x2s or similar for extra support as sheds
"theyse daze" seem to be made of tiling battens.

J.B.
Harry Bloomfield

chris French presented the following explanation :
Note that the joists on sheds aren't that thick and need plenty of support as
well, each corner won't do.

Indeed.... I home built a heavy timber 14' x 14' summerhouse last year
and used 3x2 joists for the floor. I spaced the supports at no more
than roughly 24" apart throughout the base.

All I did was level the area no more than was needed, then dug down to
lay in the support piers where required. I removed any soil which had
been disturbed, so the supports sat on undisturbed soil in the bottom
of the holes. This was to ensure even settlement. I also made sure
there was a good three inches clearance at the lowest point between any
timber and the ground.

No there is no need to cover the ground with anything. Nothing is going to
grow it's to dark

--

I certainly didn't worry about removing any grass and what there was,
quickly died off.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Getting rid of concrete slabs Stephen Gower UK diy 2 January 22nd 04 07:54 PM
patio slabs that won't stick down again. john west++++ UK diy 3 October 3rd 03 08:01 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM
Paving Stone Joints chris French UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:32 AM
cleaning slabs mac UK diy 1 July 7th 03 02:54 PM