Owain

Default fun with a stanley knife

"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound together
in a nemergency.

Owain

RichardS

"Owain" wrote in message
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound

together
in a nemergency.

Thought I'd read somewhere that it was used regularly in hospitals esp for
geriatric care. However, I do have some bizzarre and lucid dreams
sometimes!

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Rob Morley

In article , "RichardS"
noone@invalid says...

"Owain" wrote in message
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound

together
in a nemergency.

Thought I'd read somewhere that it was used regularly in hospitals esp for
geriatric care.

True - geriatric skin can tear very easily so stitches can be a problem.
Although the proper medically-approved glue isn't quite superglue it's
very similar.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...er/ai_97116386
Ian Stirling

Owain wrote:
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound together
in a nemergency.

Probably not a good idea, unless it is an actual emergency, and you're
unable to get to proper medical treatment, and even possibly not.

Proper medical CA is highly refined, with all of the biologically
nasty stuff distilled out.

Non medical CA isn't, and only needs to be non-toxic enough so that
it doen't poison users when it gets on the skin.
It might have practically anything in it, and cause nasty reactions.
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound
together
in a nemergency.

If it's mucky maggots will clean it up nicely.

Mary

Owain

Mike

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound

together
in a nemergency.

Probably not a good idea, unless it is an actual emergency, and you're
unable to get to proper medical treatment, and even possibly not.

Proper medical CA is highly refined, with all of the biologically
nasty stuff distilled out.

Non medical CA isn't, and only needs to be non-toxic enough so that
it doen't poison users when it gets on the skin.
It might have practically anything in it, and cause nasty reactions.

Though not as nasty as bleeding to death surely :-)

Harvey Van Sickle

On 14 Dec 2004, mike wrote

So I was at the local refuse tip emptying large plastic bags full
of leaves and chunks of cherry tree I'd had to cut down. The place
was -very- busy and I was aware of the queues of cars full of junk
waiting to get in. The skip was parked rather high up but there
was a metal barrier by it which I had to climb on in order to be
able to reach over the skip. As plastic bags aren't allowed in
that skip I had a stanley knife with me in order to slit the bags
open. Of course this never works cleanly and my "always cut away
from you" policy soon got dumped. Result! A 3" slice down my left
wrist! I just stared at it a while.... I waited a second or two -
I could see a nice clean red line bleeding away...Expecting a
sudden spurt of blood then lights out I glanced at a woman who was
emptying her rubbish alongside me. Holding my arm up I said (for
no reason I can recall) "this looks good doesn't it". To which she
replied, "yes, I must get some of them plastic bags myself"! Hah
hah - I did laugh. She then went on to ask me if she could have
some of the larger bits of cherry wood - which I was delighted to
give her :-) Fortunately the cut, while deep, didn't touch any
artery/vein. Phew.

The moral of this story is:-
choose moral
-Never break your own safety policies

That's a pretty good one, right there.

Close calls like that do tend to focus the mind, don't they...

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Lurch

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:27:56 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
strung together this:

Close calls like that do tend to focus the mind, don't they...

For about half an hour!
--

SJW
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:00:14 +0000, Lurch wrote:

Close calls like that do tend to focus the mind, don't they...

For about half an hour!

My close call with a Stanley knife still makes me nervous when I use
one now. That close call nearly had the top 1/2" of my index finger
off and a good go at my third finger, requiring 14 stiches in all. I
still don't have any sense of touch in the end of my index finger
(strangely hot/cold is OK), this is from 5 years ago...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Lurch

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:49:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
strung together this:

My close call with a Stanley knife still makes me nervous when I use
one now. That close call nearly had the top 1/2" of my index finger
off and a good go at my third finger, requiring 14 stiches in all. I
still don't have any sense of touch in the end of my index finger
(strangely hot/cold is OK), this is from 5 years ago...

I went 3/4 of the way through my thumb with a Stanley knife about 15
years ago trying to hack some ply into a novel shape, I didn't learn.
--

SJW

The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:

Owain wrote:

"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound together
in a nemergency.

Probably not a good idea, unless it is an actual emergency, and you're
unable to get to proper medical treatment, and even possibly not.

Proper medical CA is highly refined, with all of the biologically
nasty stuff distilled out.

Non medical CA isn't, and only needs to be non-toxic enough so that
it doen't poison users when it gets on the skin.
It might have practically anything in it, and cause nasty reactions.

Ive used it in conjunbction with a bt of tiuuse to fold the end of my
finger back down when I curt it with a scalpel.

Stings like buggery, so it must be doing good.

Anyway, nerves are back to about 85% capacity on that fingertip.

It may not be medically sterile, but superglue is a lot better than
bleeding to death, or waiting 3 hours for stitches..

Pete C

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:56:42 GMT, mike wrote:

Fortunately the cut, while deep, didn't touch any artery/vein. Phew.

The moral of this story is:-
choose moral
-Never break your own safety policies
-Never carry a sharp knife
-Never cut a cherry tree (it was a very nice tree in it's time, but it was in
fact, dead)
-Never visit a council tip, they are dangerous places
-If you're doing something dangerous, never stand next to a woman
- (Add you're own moral telling me what an idiot I am)

Well, that it. A true story. Take care out there and have safe and Happy
Christmas.

Hi,

Plasplugs snap off knives are good, the blade can be retracted so only
1/8" is showing which makes it /safer/ in these situations.

cheers,
Pete.
Lobster

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:49:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
strung together this:

My close call with a Stanley knife still makes me nervous when I use
one now. That close call nearly had the top 1/2" of my index finger
off and a good go at my third finger, requiring 14 stiches in all. I
still don't have any sense of touch in the end of my index finger
(strangely hot/cold is OK), this is from 5 years ago...

I went 3/4 of the way through my thumb with a Stanley knife about 15
years ago trying to hack some ply into a novel shape, I didn't learn.
--

I think you should all keep shtum in case the HSE police read this, and end
up banning Stanley knives along with ladders...

David

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Owain" writes:
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound together
in a nemergency.

That is exactly what it was designed for, by the US during the
Vietnam war, to stick soldiers back together quickly in the field.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mary Fisher

"Pete C" wrote in message

Plasplugs snap off knives are good, the blade can be retracted so only
1/8" is showing which makes it /safer/ in these situations.

Agreed, but it isn't as versatile for heavy jobs.

Mary

cheers,
Pete.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:24:34 +0000, Pete C wrote:

Plasplugs snap off knives are good, the blade can be retracted so
only 1/8" is showing which makes it /safer/ in these situations.

My old metal bodied stanley can be retracted so non of the blade is
showing, the smallest amout is around 1mm. Didn't stop me attempting
DIY amputation. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:24:34 +0000, Pete C wrote:

Plasplugs snap off knives are good, the blade can be retracted so
only 1/8" is showing which makes it /safer/ in these situations.

My old metal bodied stanley can be retracted so non of the blade is
showing,

I thought they all were ...

the smallest amout is around 1mm. Didn't stop me attempting
DIY amputation. B-)

No.

I did the same with a carving knife before dinner tonight. Now have a bloody
keyboard and make lots of typos w3ith my plastered fingwer ....

Mary

Malc

"RichardS" noone@invalid wrote in message
. ..

"Owain" wrote in message
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound

together
in a nemergency.

Thought I'd read somewhere that it was used regularly in hospitals esp for
geriatric care. However, I do have some bizzarre and lucid dreams
sometimes!

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

--
Malc

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:44:32 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ive used it in conjunbction with a bt of tiuuse to fold the end of
my finger back down when I curt it with a scalpel.

There is also a method of using body hair in conjunction with
superglue to hold a wound closed rather than simply using it to stick
the edges together. The latter can't be good for the healing as you
want them it to heal together not be separated by something.

It may not be medically sterile, but superglue is a lot better than
bleeding to death, or waiting 3 hours for stitches..

One advantage of being remote with a 24/7 Minor Injuries unit at the
local cottage hospital. I was back home, after being stiched up, not
much more than an hour after the encounter with the stanley knife. Now
if they took the MI unit away (nasty rumours a foot) it would be an
hours drive to the next nearest MI or A&E department...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:46:07 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Now have a bloody keyboard and make lots of typos w3ith my plastered
fingwer ....

Now don't get blaming your keyboard for your mistakes. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Malc" wrote in message

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

The gash in my head was stapled together!

Mary

--
Malc

John Rumm

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

That is exactly what it was designed for, by the US during the
Vietnam war, to stick soldiers back together quickly in the field.

Paraphrases a quote from "Dog Soldiers" IIRC.

Along with my favourite: "We are now up against live, hostile targets.
So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch"

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:46:07 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Now have a bloody keyboard and make lots of typos w3ith my plastered
fingwer ....

Now don't get blaming your keyboard for your mistakes. B-)

I'm not I'. blaming my crving ...

Marty
--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Owain

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
| There is also a method of using body hair in conjunction with
| superglue to hold a wound closed rather than simply using it
| to stick the edges together. The latter can't be good for the
| healing as you want them it to heal together not be separated
| by something.

I did say /in emergency/, and thought it a tip worth knowing people here are
likely to have the superglue not a million miles away from all the sharp
things in the toolbox.

| ... Now if they took the MI unit away (nasty rumours a foot)
| it would be an hours drive to the next nearest MI or A&E
| department...

As long as you don't need an ambulance from London to Inverness.

Owain

raden

In message , Malc
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound

together
in a nemergency.

Thought I'd read somewhere that it was used regularly in hospitals esp for
geriatric care. However, I do have some bizzarre and lucid dreams
sometimes!

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

OH (Deity of choice), here come the walking wounded

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.com...
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:24:34 +0000, Pete C wrote:

Plasplugs snap off knives are good, the blade can be retracted so
only 1/8" is showing which makes it /safer/ in these situations.

My old metal bodied stanley can be retracted so non of the blade is
showing,

I thought they all were ...

the smallest amout is around 1mm. Didn't stop me attempting
DIY amputation. B-)

No.

I did the same with a carving knife before dinner tonight. Now have a bloody
keyboard and make lots of typos w3ith my plastered fingwer ....

Black pudding for breakfast tomorrow then ?

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

I did the same with a carving knife before dinner tonight. Now have a
bloody
keyboard and make lots of typos w3ith my plastered fingwer ....

Black pudding for breakfast tomorrow then ?

No, the pig hasn't been delivered, to my irritation. It was beef.

Isn't it amazing how much blood can seep from underneath a plaster though?

I went on to prepare grapefruit. That IS going to be pink rather than
yellow!

Mary

--
geoff

Andy Dingley

On 14 Dec 2004 14:11:14 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Proper medical CA is highly refined, with all of the biologically
nasty stuff distilled out.

No, it's fundamentally different chemistry. "workshop grade" cyano
has reasonably serious health concerns over getting it in wounds
(i.e. Americans are worried, not just Californians)

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:50:17 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

I think you should all keep shtum in case the HSE police read this, and end
up banning Stanley knives along with ladders...

The adulterous Blunkett is already "considering" it.

And don't forget www.faxyourmp.com

BigWallop

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Malc
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound
together
in a nemergency.

Thought I'd read somewhere that it was used regularly in hospitals esp

for
geriatric care. However, I do have some bizzarre and lucid dreams
sometimes!

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

OH (Deity of choice), here come the walking wounded

geoff

Used the super glue on the wrong gash on his head. :-) (sorry....I
couldn't resist the urge)

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Malc" wrote in message

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

The gash in my head was stapled together!

Mary

Malc

That would explain it. :-)

BigWallop

"Owain" wrote in message
"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound

together
in a nemergency.

Owain

Reminds me of the story about the nephew who swapped the glue for the false
eye lashes around.

Mary Fisher

.uk...

"Malc" wrote in message

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

The gash in my head was stapled together!

Mary

Malc

That would explain it. :-)

No, it explains why I'm certified sane.

Who else hereabouts can claim that?

VBG

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

No, it explains why I'm certified sane.

Who else hereabouts can claim that?

VBG

Who else has been asked to prove it? :-)

Who mentioned proving it?

Why else would you need to be certified?

Non sequitur.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:10:22 -0000, Owain wrote:

I did say /in emergency/, and thought it a tip worth knowing people
here are likely to have the superglue not a million miles away from
all the sharp things in the toolbox.

The superglue doesn't live in my toolbox it lives in the boiler room
as it is rarely needed. What does live in the tool box is insulation
tape, that and a bit of kitchen roll makes an excellent absorbant and
hardwearing temporary dressing. This is of course for normal minor
cuts not attempted DIY digit amputation.

As long as you don't need an ambulance from London to Inverness.

Horrible story. Some one is for the high jump and I don't mean the
driver but his bosses. And that firm should loose any NHS transport
contracts they have.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail