raden

In message , BigWallop
writes

Yup, I had a gash in my head superglue about 12 years ago.

OH (Deity of choice), here come the walking wounded

geoff

Used the super glue on the wrong gash on his head. :-) (sorry....I
couldn't resist the urge)

In a slight tangential vein ...

What is the URL for the No More Nails Crucifix pik ?

--
geoff
Lobster

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:10:22 -0000, Owain wrote:

As long as you don't need an ambulance from London to Inverness.

Horrible story. Some one is for the high jump and I don't mean the
driver but his bosses. And that firm should loose any NHS transport
contracts they have.

If what I read in the papers about this was true, then I sincerely hope the
driver gets his come-uppance as well.

David

Stuffed

"raden" wrote in message

In a slight tangential vein ...

What is the URL for the No More Nails Crucifix pik ?

http://freespace.virgin.net/muko.muko2/nails.jpg

Owain

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
| As long as you don't need an ambulance from London to Inverness.
| Horrible story. Some one is for the high jump and I don't mean the
| driver but his bosses. And that firm should loose any NHS transport
| contracts they have.

It would probably have been cheaper to give him a first class ticket on
GNER. Toilets, restaurant car (while it lasts), and a nicer view.

Owain

Yes my mouth bleeds every 28 days. Yours?

--
Malc

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:45:53 GMT, Lobster wrote:

If what I read in the papers about this was true, then I sincerely
hope the driver gets his come-uppance as well.

I'm not so sure, I suspect the driver could well have been caught
between a rock and hard place. Without medical training or absolute
permission would you risk moving a patient or giving them food? What
would the public reaction be if the driver gave the patient a Snickers
bar and he was allergic to nuts?

The driver is not completly innocent but I doubt we are getting the
whole story. You rarely do in the media these days.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dorothy Bradbury

What is the URL for the No More Nails Crucifix pik ?

The sculpter nailed to the Angle Of The North?

Or am I letting the cat out of the bag... ? :-)
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Mary Fisher

"Dorothy Bradbury" wrote in message
What is the URL for the No More Nails Crucifix pik ?

The sculpter nailed to the Angle Of The North?

that could be the right angle ...

... 'ere we go again!

Mary

BigWallop

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Dorothy Bradbury" wrote in message
What is the URL for the No More Nails Crucifix pik ?

The sculpter nailed to the Angle Of The North?

that could be the right angle ...

.. 'ere we go again!

Mary

You could be looking at this from the wrong Angel you know. Dorothy the
Angle was only trying to help.

(OK.....I'll get mee coat)

raden

In message , Stuffed
writes

"raden" wrote in message

In a slight tangential vein ...

What is the URL for the No More Nails Crucifix pik ?

http://freespace.virgin.net/muko.muko2/nails.jpg

That's the one, thanks.

A friend asked for it and, could I find the URL ?

no prizes for the answer

--
geoff
Dorothy Bradbury

The sculpter nailed to the Angle Of The North?

that could be the right angle ...

*smile*
--
Dorothy Bradbury

raden

In message , Dorothy Bradbury
writes
What is the URL for the No More Nails Crucifix pik ?

The sculpter nailed to the Angle Of The North?

Or am I letting the cat out of the bag... ? :-)

No, you missed the "no more" bit

--
geoff
Lobster

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:45:53 GMT, Lobster wrote:

If what I read in the papers about this was true, then I sincerely
hope the driver gets his come-uppance as well.

I'm not so sure, I suspect the driver could well have been caught
between a rock and hard place. Without medical training or absolute
permission would you risk moving a patient or giving them food? What
would the public reaction be if the driver gave the patient a Snickers
bar and he was allergic to nuts?

Well, how about opening the door *once* during the 12-hour journey and
saying 'you all right in there mate?' or 'do you need a pee'? or
something?

The driver is not completly innocent but I doubt we are getting the
whole story. You rarely do in the media these days.

I quite agree; it's hard to believe this one's true as reported.

David

tim noakes

Ian Stirling wrote:

Owain wrote:

"mike" wrote
| .. Result! A 3" slice down my left wrist! I just stared at it a
| while.... I waited a second or two - I could see a nice clean red
| line bleeding away...

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound
together
in a nemergency.

Probably not a good idea, unless it is an actual emergency, and you're
unable to get to proper medical treatment, and even possibly not.

Proper medical CA is highly refined, with all of the biologically nasty
stuff distilled out.

Non medical CA isn't, and only needs to be non-toxic enough so that
it doen't poison users when it gets on the skin.
It might have practically anything in it, and cause nasty reactions.

Ive used it in conjunbction with a bt of tiuuse to fold the end of my
finger back down when I curt it with a scalpel.

Stings like buggery, so it must be doing good.

Anyway, nerves are back to about 85% capacity on that fingertip.

It may not be medically sterile, but superglue is a lot better than
bleeding to death, or waiting 3 hours for stitches..

Reading this reminds me of what my father told me was carpentry workshop
first aid practice in the first half of the 20th Century. At that time (who
remembers this?) the fairly universal indoor carpentry glue - in the
workshop anyway - was animal glue, that came in little yellow beads and was
melted over a steam kettle, then brushed on the joint which was then swiftly
cramped up. I'm not quite sure as to the exact derivation of these beads,
but they did come from the carcass rendering trade. It's probably best not
to enquire too deeply into this.

Anyway, if you sliced yourself in the workshop such things as elastoplast
did not exist, so the standard procedure was to get a nice long plane
shaving, apply animal glue to one side of it, wait till it had cooled a
little, then wrap it around. Sealed it all up a treat........

Cheers

Tim

Rod Hewitt

"tim noakes" wrote in
:

Anyway, if you sliced yourself in the workshop such things as
elastoplast did not exist, so the standard procedure was to get a nice
long plane shaving, apply animal glue to one side of it, wait till it
had cooled a little, then wrap it around. Sealed it all up a
treat........

Reading that, I suddenly remembered my first stiches (from hitting a door
mirror with my hand while riding a motorbike, BTW not a good idea). Nurse
painted the damaged area with Whitehead's varnish (which is, apparently,
"compound iodoform paint BPC"). But it certainly seemed pretty much like
french polish. At least it seems unlikely that there would be a BSE risk
from beetle extract!

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"tim noakes" writes:

Reading this reminds me of what my father told me was carpentry workshop
first aid practice in the first half of the 20th Century. At that time (who
remembers this?) the fairly universal indoor carpentry glue - in the
workshop anyway - was animal glue, that came in little yellow beads and was
melted over a steam kettle, then brushed on the joint which was then swiftly
cramped up. I'm not quite sure as to the exact derivation of these beads,
but they did come from the carcass rendering trade. It's probably best not
to enquire too deeply into this.

I recall my father using glue made from fish bones, and it
smelt like going-off fish too. I can't remember how it was
prepared and applied though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mary Fisher

"tim noakes" wrote in message

Reading this reminds me of what my father told me was carpentry workshop
first aid practice in the first half of the 20th Century. At that time
(who remembers this?) the fairly universal indoor carpentry glue - in the
workshop anyway - was animal glue, that came in little yellow beads and
was melted over a steam kettle, then brushed on the joint which was then
swiftly cramped up. I'm not quite sure as to the exact derivation of these
beads, but they did come from the carcass rendering trade. It's probably
best not to enquire too deeply into this.

My artist friends swore by rabbit skin glue, I suspect that generic animal
glue was from anything and everything, especialy bovine and equine. But
preparing some stock from pigs' trotters the other day reminded me how
sticky that was when over-boiled and left to gel!

Mary

Don

On 17 Dec 2004 23:50:47 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"tim noakes" writes:

Reading this reminds me of what my father told me was carpentry workshop
first aid practice in the first half of the 20th Century. At that time (who
remembers this?) the fairly universal indoor carpentry glue - in the
workshop anyway - was animal glue, that came in little yellow beads and was
melted over a steam kettle, then brushed on the joint which was then swiftly
cramped up. I'm not quite sure as to the exact derivation of these beads,
but they did come from the carcass rendering trade. It's probably best not
to enquire too deeply into this.

I recall my father using glue made from fish bones, and it
smelt like going-off fish too. I can't remember how it was
prepared and applied though.

Those little yellow beads were the modern version of the much darker
coloured slabs of glue. This was made from animal hooves into slabs
resembling the toffee slabs which were broken with little metal hammers
before sale in sweet shops. The glue was melted down using double pots
fitting one inside the other. The lower one containing water the other
sitting just above the water level was for melting the glue. The smell
was very pleasant, I remember, so much so that my mother let my father
heat his glue on the kitchen stove before using it in the workshop. The
glue brush was left the in the glue after use and became embedded in the
in the hardened glue looking like something good enough to eat. As a lad
I couldn't get enough of that smell. Glue sniffing has a longer history
than most people realise.
Thank you for reminding me of my old dad, a carpenter who would be 104
if alive today.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:24:10 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

My artist friends swore by rabbit skin glue,

Rabbit skin glue has a few drawbacks, but its big advantage is
retaining flexibility once set - so it's popular for artists or work
with fabrics. It's also the ingredient in gesso for sculptors or
gilders.

"Hide" or "Scotch" glue is made from the trimmed scraps of hides but
mainly cartilage or tendon. It's not made from hooves or horns - it
could be, but they'd take far too long to render down. It used to be
made as bricks or "biscuits" than needed to be broken up before
soaking and heating, but these days it's all "pearl" glue that is
quicker to soak.

Hooves were granulated and went for either case-hardening compounds
(before the cyanide processes) or as garden fertiliser.

Fish glue is made from the cartilage of non-boney fish (sharks or
dogfish) and sometimes from the skins of larger boney fish. It has a
higher tack on first contact than hide glue. With Victorian chemistry
it was also possible to make a cold fish glue that stayed liquid, but
this wasn't possible for hide until fairly recently.

--
Smert' spamionam

"Owain" wrote in
:

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound
together in a nemergency.

It doesn't have to be a wound...

Once, during my career in teaching, I was advised that a child would be
absent as he had a problem with his eye. His mother had administered eye
drops. You can guess the rest!

I understand the nursing staff in Minor Injuries were *distinctly*
unimpressed.

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Ian White

F wrote:

Superglue sticks skin and can be used to hold the edges of a wound
together in a nemergency.

It doesn't have to be a wound...

Once, during my career in teaching, I was advised that a child would be
absent as he had a problem with his eye. His mother had administered
eye drops. You can guess the rest!

In Days of Old, two new products came out in tubes at about the same
time. One was Deep Heat Rub for aching backs. The other was Evo-Stik.
You can guess the rest of that one too.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England
Lurch

On 20 Dec 2004 18:12:33 GMT, Ian Stirling
strung together this:

Paraphrases a quote from "Dog Soldiers" IIRC.

Along with my favourite: "We are now up against live, hostile targets.
So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch"

I thought that was Red Dwarf, maybe I'm confused.

Now you mention it, you could be right. Most probably both.

--

SJW
Ian Stirling

Lurch wrote:
On 20 Dec 2004 18:12:33 GMT, Ian Stirling
strung together this:

Paraphrases a quote from "Dog Soldiers" IIRC.

Along with my favourite: "We are now up against live, hostile targets.
So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch"

I thought that was Red Dwarf, maybe I'm confused.

Now you mention it, you could be right. Most probably both.

I thought it might have been in 'meltdown', set on waxworld, a speech by
Rimmer to the 'troops'. (an assortment of historical and fictional animated
waxworks, fighting an assortment of evil waxworks.)

It would have made some sense, as red-riding-hood may indeed have been on
one of the armies.

However, a quick read over the script doesn't show any really close scene.
And 'chin the bitch' is all over google as a "Dog Soldiers" quote.

BigWallop

"Lurch" wrote in message
On 21 Dec 2004 12:13:44 GMT, Ian Stirling
strung together this:

I thought it might have been in 'meltdown', set on waxworld, a speech by
Rimmer to the 'troops'. (an assortment of historical and fictional

animated
waxworks, fighting an assortment of evil waxworks.)

It would have made some sense, as red-riding-hood may indeed have been on
one of the armies.

However, a quick read over the script doesn't show any really close

scene.
And 'chin the bitch' is all over google as a "Dog Soldiers" quote.

Does ring a bell, I shall watch all 8 series' until I hear it!

Wasn't the Red Dwarf scene a parody of the Dog Soldiers scene.

John Rumm

BigWallop wrote:

Wasn't the Red Dwarf scene a parody of the Dog Soldiers scene.

Might have been, I will ask SWMBO, she is the RD fan...

The original is he

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280609/quotes

--
Cheers,