ian mayo

Default Is it destructive to heat Wendy House

Hi again all,

we've bought a wendy-house (see separate thread).

I'm considering installing an electrict greenhouse heater (120w or
similar) - both to take the bite out of the cold when the children are
playing in it during the Winter, but also under the (possibly mistaken) idea
that having it on for a couple of hours per day would prolong the life of
the house.

The Wendy-house builder chap warned against use of such a heater, but I
wasn't convinced.... He said that wood likes to be damp, and the drying
effect of the heater would reduce the wendy-house life. If the slow-steady
heat is destructive I'd be happy enough to (safely) fit a convector heater
for the period when the children are actually in there. I just want to
double-check the builder's statement.

So, I'd appreciate any advice on heating my lovely new erection ;-]

Cheers,

Ian.

Christian McArdle

He said that wood likes to be damp,

What a classic quote!

The reason not to heat the wendy house is because it would cost a fortune to
run, unless you insulated it. 50mm of celotex all round inside should do.
When the kids are inside, it will barely need heating, as the body heat will
do most of the work.

Christian.

IMM

"ian mayo" wrote in message
[...]

Insulate the inside first. Use Kingspan or Celotex which is high performing
and thin, put Fermacell boards over that with a vapour barrier beneath the
Fermacell. No wet trades involved and a great finish and cheap to heat.
Sorted.

Ian Stirling

IMM wrote:

"ian mayo" wrote in message
[...]

Whack in a couple of combis too, and you're done.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Insulate the inside first. Use Kingspan or Celotex which is high
performing and thin, put Fermacell boards over that with a vapour
barrier beneath the Fermacell. No wet trades involved and a great
finish and cheap to heat. Sorted.

He's back. And still not understanding a simple question. Unless he knows
a plasterer called Wendy.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mike

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
He said that wood likes to be damp,

What a classic quote!

The reason not to heat the wendy house is because it would cost a fortune

run, unless you insulated it. 50mm of celotex all round inside should do.

That's more than most houses :-)

Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

..

Whack in a couple of combis too, and you're done.

I hate posts which say LOL.

But LOL!

Mary

Andy Hall

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:42:55 -0000, "ian mayo"
wrote:

Hi again all,

we've bought a wendy-house (see separate thread).

I'm considering installing an electrict greenhouse heater (120w or
similar) - both to take the bite out of the cold when the children are
playing in it during the Winter, but also under the (possibly mistaken) idea
that having it on for a couple of hours per day would prolong the life of
the house.

In a single layer wooden building, a 120W heater is not going to do a
great deal to make it warm.

If you use a good preservative on the outside and maintain it (see
other post) and the wood is isolated from the ground and ventilated,
then it won't come to much harm.

The Wendy-house builder chap warned against use of such a heater, but I
wasn't convinced.... He said that wood likes to be damp, and the drying
effect of the heater would reduce the wendy-house life.

Not really. If the wood had been damp before machining and assembly
and the building poorly made, then suddenly heating and drying it
could lead to shrinkage and cracking, but that should not have been
the case.

If the slow-steady
heat is destructive I'd be happy enough to (safely) fit a convector heater
for the period when the children are actually in there. I just want to
double-check the builder's statement.

So, I'd appreciate any advice on heating my lovely new erection ;-]

Christian's insulation idea could make a lot of sense. I did
exactly this with my garden cabin and used 50mm Celotex to do it. I
also did the space under the floor, which is probably not an option
for you now. The walls and roof were done by fitting a light frame
inside and leaving a small gap behind the Celotex which was then
ventilated (important). Before fitting this, I painted the interior
with a colourless wood preserver (Cuprinol).
The Celotex has its own foil vapour barrier and joints can be taped
using foil tape, so no additional vapour barrier is required. I
finished the surface with wooden cladding, varnished with a water
based matt varnish. Other board such as ply or even plasterboard
would be fine. With kids you might want it ding proof.
I secondary glazed the windows and door with toughened glass.

The building is used for a variety of purposes and also houses a
freezer, being a low energy one.

It is comfortably warm most of the time, if I go in there and close
the door, I haven't needed any additional heating

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

et...

IMM wrote:

.

Whack in a couple of combis too, and you're done.

I hate posts which say LOL.

But LOL!

Mary,

You LOL'd at that? Are you serious?

IMM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
IMM wrote:
Insulate the inside first. Use Kingspan or Celotex which is high
performing and thin, put Fermacell boards over that with a vapour
barrier beneath the Fermacell. No wet trades involved and a great
finish and cheap to heat. Sorted.

He's back. And still not understanding a simple question. Unless he knows
a plasterer called Wendy.

Was that supposed to be funny? Please before you do funnies, tell us before
you do them. ..........Then we can delete it, without the pain.

120w wont achieve anything in any building.

If youre going to go with electric, and just happen to have a big stack
of old fridges and freezers, building them into one wall would pump
external heat in as well as getting the heat from the leccy.

NT

Mike

IMM wrote:

"ian mayo" wrote in message
[...]

Have to see the look on the BCO's face when he comes out to check them :-)

Colin Wilson

Not really. If the wood had been damp before machining and assembly
and the building poorly made, then suddenly heating and drying it
could lead to shrinkage and cracking, but that should not have been
the case.

I`m no expert on any of this, but how many years of use are kids going to
get out of a wendy house anyway ?

Andy Hall

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:29:11 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Not really. If the wood had been damp before machining and assembly
and the building poorly made, then suddenly heating and drying it
could lead to shrinkage and cracking, but that should not have been
the case.

I`m no expert on any of this, but how many years of use are kids going to
get out of a wendy house anyway ?

It depends what it is. If it's a small thing possibly not, but
there are some fairly large constructions sold as wendy houses that
can be used for other purposes afterwards.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mike

wrote:

Not really. If the wood had been damp before machining and assembly
and the building poorly made, then suddenly heating and drying it
could lead to shrinkage and cracking, but that should not have been
the case.

I`m no expert on any of this, but how many years of use are kids going to
get out of a wendy house anyway ?

It depends what it is. If it's a small thing possibly not, but
there are some fairly large constructions sold as wendy houses that
can be used for other purposes afterwards.

Have you seen the Beckham's one ? Subject to retrospective planning
permission, they'll be letting it out when the kids have finished with it.

Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| I`m no expert on any of this, but how many years of use are kids
| going to get out of a wendy house anyway ?
| It depends what it is. If it's a small thing possibly not, but
| there are some fairly large constructions sold as wendy houses that
| can be used for other purposes afterwards.

Never too soon to start the weans on the housing ladder. The way prices are
going, it'll be all they can afford for their first-time buy.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:20:57 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Not really. If the wood had been damp before machining and assembly
and the building poorly made, then suddenly heating and drying it
could lead to shrinkage and cracking, but that should not have been
the case.

I`m no expert on any of this, but how many years of use are kids going to
get out of a wendy house anyway ?

It depends what it is. If it's a small thing possibly not, but
there are some fairly large constructions sold as wendy houses that
can be used for other purposes afterwards.

Have you seen the Beckham's one ? Subject to retrospective planning
permission, they'll be letting it out when the kids have finished with it.

There you go then. :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:20:57 UTC, "Mike" wrote:

It depends what it is. If it's a small thing possibly not, but
there are some fairly large constructions sold as wendy houses that
can be used for other purposes afterwards.

Have you seen the Beckham's one ? Subject to retrospective planning
permission, they'll be letting it out when the kids have finished with it.

Somebody said it wasn't the most marvellous Christmas present, but it's
the fort that counts...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Not really. If the wood had been damp before machining and assembly
and the building poorly made, then suddenly heating and drying it
could lead to shrinkage and cracking, but that should not have been
the case.

I`m no expert on any of this, but how many years of use are kids going to
get out of a wendy house anyway ?

It depends what it is. If it's a small thing possibly not, but
there are some fairly large constructions sold as wendy houses that
can be used for other purposes afterwards.

What the OP needs is a Wendy wood burning stove

--
geoff
Owain

"raden" wrote
| What the OP needs is a Wendy wood burning stove

I can see the headlines now: Children burnt in Wendy wood burning stove
tragedy. Building Regs to be extended. "We must never let this happen
again," said a Labour MP.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
I can see the headlines now: Children burnt in Wendy wood burning stove
tragedy. Building Regs to be extended. "We must never let this happen
again," said a Labour MP.

Would this mean you'd need to employ a Corgi with a Wendy?

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Owain

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| I can see the headlines now: Children burnt in Wendy wood burning
| stove tragedy. Building Regs to be extended. "We must never let
| this happen again," said a Labour MP.
| Would this mean you'd need to employ a Corgi with a Wendy?

Corgis tend to snap at children and leave little messes around the place. I
don't think Wendy would approve. :-)

For somewhere with weans, you'd be better off with a 'lectric
ambient/background rad(iat)or. They're much more child-friendly.

Owain

Mike

"Owain" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| I can see the headlines now: Children burnt in Wendy wood burning
| stove tragedy. Building Regs to be extended. "We must never let
| this happen again," said a Labour MP.
| Would this mean you'd need to employ a Corgi with a Wendy?

Corgis tend to snap at children and leave little messes around the place.

don't think Wendy would approve. :-)

For somewhere with weans, you'd be better off with a 'lectric
ambient/background rad(iat)or. They're much more child-friendly.

With 50mm of Celotex, I'd consider an air conditioner to provide heat or
cooling for summer use :-)

raden

In message , ian mayo
writes

I`m no expert on any of this, but how many years of use are kids going to
get out of a wendy house anyway ?

Picture attached.. I've a 3 yr old & a 2 yr old. Hopefully we'll get 10
years out of it.

Binaries are not allowed in this NG.

Please e.g. put it on a website and post the link in future

--
geoff
Ian Mayo

"raden" wrote in message

Binaries are not allowed in this NG.

Please e.g. put it on a website and post the link in future
geoff

Thanks for that Geoff.

Here's the beauty:

http://www.debrief.info/trial/house.jpg

Still open to more opinions....

Coherers

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message

http://www.debrief.info/trial/house.jpg

Still open to more opinions....

How about double glazing ? ;-)

Andy Hall

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:35:45 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| I can see the headlines now: Children burnt in Wendy wood burning
| stove tragedy. Building Regs to be extended. "We must never let
| this happen again," said a Labour MP.
| Would this mean you'd need to employ a Corgi with a Wendy?

Corgis tend to snap at children and leave little messes around the place. I
don't think Wendy would approve. :-)

For somewhere with weans, you'd be better off with a 'lectric
ambient/background rad(iat)or. They're much more child-friendly.

Owain

I thought it was bairns where you are - as from the Celtic word,
'barn' (for wean).

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mike

"Ian Mayo" wrote in message
"raden" wrote in message

Binaries are not allowed in this NG.

Please e.g. put it on a website and post the link in future
geoff

Thanks for that Geoff.

Here's the beauty:

http://www.debrief.info/trial/house.jpg

Still open to more opinions....

A loo ?

If you're in/near London, put it out to rent.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Coherers wrote:
Still open to more opinions....

How about double glazing ? ;-)

And twin combis. A win win win situation.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Coherers

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
And twin combis. A win win win situation.

LOL. :-)

Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| For somewhere with weans,
| I thought it was bairns where you are - as from the Celtic word,
| 'barn' (for wean).

Encarta has: [Old English bearn. Ultimately from an Indo-European word
meaning "to carry, bear children," which is also the ancestor of English
bear, bring, suffer, and metaphor.]

Etymonline adds: beran ("bear (v.), carry, give birth")

Weans in west of Scotland, bairns in the east, and loons and quines in the
Doric.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:42:23 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| For somewhere with weans,
| I thought it was bairns where you are - as from the Celtic word,
| 'barn' (for wean).

Encarta has: [Old English bearn. Ultimately from an Indo-European word
meaning "to carry, bear children," which is also the ancestor of English
bear, bring, suffer, and metaphor.]

Etymonline adds: beran ("bear (v.), carry, give birth")

Weans in west of Scotland, bairns in the east, and loons and quines in the
Doric.

Owain

Well... AIUI, the Geordies call them bairns as well.

Interestingly, the Swedish and Norwegian (and possibly Danish) word
for child is 'barn'.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
and loons and quines in the
Doric.

Often with a 'y' or 'ie' added. Which really confuses non locals. 'Yon
loonie' just refers to a lad...

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *