AndyP

Default Power for extractor fan

Hi,
I've bought a extractor fan which I'm installing in the bathroom. It's going
to have its own on/off switch (pull cord). The instructions say that it
should be installed via a 3amp FCU. On the specs, under Power, it says 20W.

To my mind this would mean it's acceptable to power it from a spur off
the upstairs lighting circuit, which currently has the 4 first floor room
lights and a couple of flourescent tubes in the loft. Am I correct in this
assumption?

A spur off the ring main would be a bit of a pain as I have already taken a
spur off the nearest handy socket for the power shower, and using other
sockets in the area would probably involve lifting floorboards etc, so I'm
keen
to avoid this if possible.

Thanks for any advice.
Andy

John Rumm

AndyP wrote:

I've bought a extractor fan which I'm installing in the bathroom. It's going
to have its own on/off switch (pull cord). The instructions say that it

You can get special fan isolaters for this - they are often three pole.

should be installed via a 3amp FCU. On the specs, under Power, it says 20W.

To my mind this would mean it's acceptable to power it from a spur off
the upstairs lighting circuit, which currently has the 4 first floor room
lights and a couple of flourescent tubes in the loft. Am I correct in this
assumption?

Yes they are often wired from lighting circuits. This is also because
many fans have the option of being triggered by the light switch. They
have a permenent live and a switched live (hence the three pole switch).
This allows for operations like "run on" (where it keeps running for a
few mins after you turn the switch off).

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain

"AndyP" wrote
| I've bought a extractor fan which I'm installing in the bathroom.
| It's going to have its own on/off switch (pull cord).
| The instructions say that it should be installed via a 3amp FCU.
| On the specs, under Power, it says 20W.
| To my mind this would mean it's acceptable to power it from a spur
| off the upstairs lighting circuit, which currently has the 4 first
| floor room lights and a couple of flourescent tubes in the loft.
| Am I correct in this assumption?

Yes. And whilst it would be irresponsible of me to urge you to ignore the
manufacturer's instructions, if I was putting it in my own house I'd ignore
the requirement for the FCU - if the lighting circuit is MCB'd at 6A.

Owain

Lobster

"Phil Jones" wrote in message
You really should have a dedicated circuit for a power shower.

Why? Assuming it's a power shower, and not an electrically-heated shower?
David

"AndyP" wrote in message
[...]

Lurch

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:05:59 +0000 (UTC), "AndyP"
strung together this:

To my mind this would mean it's acceptable to power it from a spur off
the upstairs lighting circuit, which currently has the 4 first floor room
lights and a couple of flourescent tubes in the loft. Am I correct in this
assumption?

Yes, powering the fan from the lighting circuit is fine, I do it that
way 99% of the time.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Lurch

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:18:40 -0000, "Phil Jones"
strung together this:

You really should have a dedicated circuit for a power shower.

No you shouldn't. It might be advisable if possible but not required.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
AndyP

Phil Jones wrote:
You really should have a dedicated circuit for a power shower.

It's a power shower, not an electric shower - the instructions stated
that it could be powered from a spur off a ring main, via a 3amp FCU.
Andy

logized

"AndyP" wrote in message
[...]

I am fitting a similar one - wiring to the lighting circuit - decided to fit
a 3 Amp FCU even though it does not really need it - that way everything is
to the manufacturers instructions etc.
By the way - I originally was going to get the fan and vent kit from one of
the local sheds - but the outer vent there was white and did not match the
brickwork.
Made a good saving at a local electrical merchants - got a branded fan
better than the "no -name" one at the sheds and a brown vent grill & FCU
and pattress all a few pounds cheaper than just the fan kit at the sheds -
worth shopping around.

Dave

It's a power shower, not an electric shower - the instructions stated
that it could be powered from a spur off a ring main, via a 3amp FCU.

it can be, doesnt mean it has to be done that way

NT

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Uninteruptable Power Supply for Water Pump? HerHusband Home Repair 16 January 21st 04 04:32 PM
Switching Power Supply Failure W. Curtiss Priest Home Repair 0 October 6th 03 03:43 PM