Phil McCavity

Default Update on parquet floor sanding

I spent this weekend doing this. thanks for all the
replies to my questions. I hired a floor sander and
an edge sander. The floor sander worked well, but
only up to 4 inches away from the skirting. The edge
sander was a nightmare. It was very heavy, and used
a disk, so was difficult to control, and left arc patterns
in the wood. I took them back and hired a belt sander,
whic did the job up to the skirting, but was very
difficult to keep flat and level. I myself can still see
the marks it left, but my wife is ecstatic with the
result. I tried an ordinary random orbital sander,
but even with 60 grit paper it got nowhere.
So a final question. Is there any powerful
random orbital sander I can use to finish off
around the skirting?
Thanks Again,

Grunff

Phil McCavity wrote:
I spent this weekend doing this. thanks for all the
replies to my questions. I hired a floor sander and
an edge sander. The floor sander worked well, but
only up to 4 inches away from the skirting. The edge
sander was a nightmare. It was very heavy, and used
a disk, so was difficult to control, and left arc patterns
in the wood. I took them back and hired a belt sander,
whic did the job up to the skirting, but was very
difficult to keep flat and level. I myself can still see
the marks it left, but my wife is ecstatic with the
result. I tried an ordinary random orbital sander,
but even with 60 grit paper it got nowhere.
So a final question. Is there any powerful
random orbital sander I can use to finish off
around the skirting?

Was it really a random orbit sander, or an orbital sander? I ask because
I used my Bosch random orbit sander (PEX400) to sand our entire oak
floor, and it took me about two hours to do the room (14sqm with 120 grit).

--
Grunff
Phil McCavity

"Grunff" wrote in message
Phil McCavity wrote:
I spent this weekend doing this. thanks for all the

SNIP
So a final question. Is there any powerful
random orbital sander I can use to finish off
around the skirting?

Was it really a random orbit sander, or an orbital sander? I ask because I
used my Bosch random orbit sander (PEX400) to sand our entire oak floor,
and it took me about two hours to do the room (14sqm with 120 grit).
Grunff

Hi,
That's interesting. I used a 180W PBX 'orbital sander' from Homebase
with a square base to put the paper on. I see that the PEX400ae is a
'Random orbital sander' with a circular base to put paper on. It may be
a silly question,but does it just rotate?

Grunff

Phil McCavity wrote:

That's interesting. I used a 180W PBX 'orbital sander' from Homebase
with a square base to put the paper on.

This is an orbital sander. Orbital sanders IME are only very slightly
more effective than soft cotton wool.

An easy way to tell - if the base is anything but round, then it's *not*
a random orbit sander. Random orbit sanders spin as well as orbit, so
the base always needs to be round.

I see that the PEX400ae is a
'Random orbital sander' with a circular base to put paper on. It may be
a silly question,but does it just rotate?

It spins, and the centre of spin rotates in an orbit of about 3-4mm
radius. They are very good.

--
Grunff

I tried an ordinary random orbital sander,
but even with 60 grit paper it got nowhere.
So a final question. Is there any powerful
random orbital sander I can use to finish off
around the skirting?

Sanders that just wobble dont do a lot, so for the same result as a
spinning disc or belt job, you need to use far coarser paper. 60 grit
on an orbital is more suitable for grinding plaster blemishes.

Use either a serious sander (not an orbital), or put 24 grit on the
orbital - you'll probably need to cut the 24 paper to shape and stick
it onto your 60 disc or triangle with no-mo-nails.

At the cheap end, a drill with rubber backing pad and fibre sanding
disc works fine, as long as you get the hang of how not to leave arc
shaped marks in the wood - always keep it moving, use it a bit like a
paint brush, brush gently.

Someone mentioned doing a whole floor successfully with a wobble
sander, but I've never used any wobble sander myself that could do
anything like that. But sanding isnt something I'm that well tooled up
on.

NT

[...]

on, maybe I'm missing a trick.

NT

Loose parquet strips / tiles... Alan D. Home Repair 2 October 21st 04 02:48 PM
Parquet flooring AJ's Daddy Home Repair 0 December 23rd 03 12:47 PM
OT - WEBPAGE UPDATE T. Woodworking 4 November 18th 03 11:06 PM
Flooring question: parquet over linoleum Oneguy Home Repair 0 July 8th 03 05:38 PM