sploop

Default Cement

Got to go on roof in morning. Can anybody give the correct cement mix for
fixing ridge tiles and how much waterproofing to use. Ta very much!

Michael Mcneil

"sploop" wrote in message

Got to go on roof in morning. Can anybody give the correct cement mix for
fixing ridge tiles and how much waterproofing to use. Ta very much!

4 to 1. No water-proofer as it is not needed and tends to blows the
stuff off.

N. Thornton

"sploop" wrote in message ...
Got to go on roof in morning. Can anybody give the correct cement mix for
fixing ridge tiles and how much waterproofing to use. Ta very much!

1:1:6.

NT
in2minds

Got to go on roof in morning. Can anybody give the correct cement mix
for
fixing ridge tiles and how much waterproofing to use. Ta very much!

1:1:6.

1:1:6 what ? (cement:fine sharp sand:soft sand I presume ?)
if the OP doesn't know the difference between cement and mortar he aint
gonna know what that means (c;

my son (and his lecturer) says they use a mix of 4:1 (sand:cement) for
general purpose mortar
as for waterproofer, it should tell you on the bottle/can

LJ

andrewpreece

"sploop" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
sploop wrote:
Got to go on roof in morning. Can anybody give the correct cement mix
for fixing ridge tiles and how much waterproofing to use. Ta very much!

I'd be inclined to use a suitable mastic. No matter what mortar mix you
use, it always seems to crack and bits fall out. Not surprising
considering that most roofs are supported by timber which will move with
the seasons.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks all, however more confused than before. NT. I thought your
contributions before quite helpful. So what went wrong this time? 1:1:6
WHAT. Sugar, coffee? WHAT? If I already knew I bloodywell wouldn't be
asking. Anyway thanks to those that did answer with their help.

I think 1:1:6 refers to lime/cement/sand. Lime acts as a plasticiser and so
makes the
mixture easier to use. Of course, you can use straight cement/sand as also
advised, but that needs a plasticiser like PVA or the proprietary stuff to
make it handle as well as the lime/cement/sand mixture. I believe squeezy is
frowned on asa cheapo plasticiser. Maybe your waterproofer has plasticising
properties?

Andy.

Andy.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"sploop" writes:

Thanks all, however more confused than before. NT. I thought your
contributions before quite helpful. So what went wrong this time? 1:1:6
WHAT. Sugar, coffee? WHAT? If I already knew I bloodywell wouldn't be
asking. Anyway thanks to those that did answer with their help.

It means Cement:Lime:Sand (or is it Lime:Cement:Sand -- never can
remember;-)

Personally, I would not bother with Lime here, I would just use a
1:4 Cement:Sand mix.

I would add some outdoor/exterior grade PVA to the mix -- something
like a teaspoonful per 1-2 shovel loads of sand. This will improve
the adhesive properties of the cement, which is otherwise not
brilliant. Mix a tiny amount of water into the PVA first, and
then mix it with the rest of the water before adding the water to
the mortar, otherwise it's not easy to mix it into the mortar
uniformly. If there's any danger of it freezing or even a frost in
the several weeks following application in such an exposed position,
you'll need an anti-freeze additive for mortar too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Michael Mcneil

"in2minds" wrote in message

1:1:6.

1:1:6 what ? (cement:fine sharp sand:soft sand I presume ?)

I think he means lime: cement: sand. Unecessary.

4:1 dryish (that is: not too wet) will be waterproof and weatherproof
enough and go off quickly without cracking. It is ideal on a roof.

By the way, you only need dollops under the end of each tile to stop
them rattling. None goes in the overlap to cement them together. You
might want to point them up afterwards -that's up to you.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
sploop wrote:
Thanks all, however more confused than before. NT. I thought your
contributions before quite helpful. So what went wrong this time? 1:1:6
WHAT. Sugar, coffee? WHAT? If I already knew I bloodywell wouldn't be
asking. Anyway thanks to those that did answer with their help.

Cement:lime:sand. It's a classic mix that allows some movement. Some say
you can replace the lime with plasticizer or even some washing up liquid,
but although this may make the mix as easy to work, it doesn't give the
same flexibility when set.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

N. Thornton

"in2minds" wrote in message ...

Got to go on roof in morning. Can anybody give the correct cement mix
for
fixing ridge tiles and how much waterproofing to use. Ta very much!

1:1:6.

1:1:6 what ? (cement:fine sharp sand:soft sand I presume ?)
if the OP doesn't know the difference between cement and mortar he aint
gonna know what that means (c;

fair point. Cement:lime:sand.

my son (and his lecturer) says they use a mix of 4:1 (sand:cement) for
general purpose mortar

Roofing isnt really a general purpose mortar job. It would still work
though, just better to use a weaker mix.

as for waterproofer, it should tell you on the bottle/can

yup

NT
Cycle

Cement:lime:sand. It's a classic mix that allows some movement. Some say
you can replace the lime with plasticizer or even some washing up liquid,
but although this may make the mix as easy to work, it doesn't give the
same flexibility when set.

--
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

When you buy lime to use in a cement:lime:sand mortar mix, what kind of lime
do you ask for and how is it used?

When you buy lime to use in a cement:lime:sand mortar mix, what kind
of lime do you ask for

just 'lime'. What you'll get is hydrated non-hydraulic lime.

and how is it used?

mixed in with sand and cement, typically 1:1:6 by volume. Dont use
1:2:9 mix, as studies have shown it fails prematurely. Lime adn cement
works well but only in some proportions; some other mixes will fail.

BTW concerning 1:4 vs 1:1:6, both work, but 1:1:6 is weak enough that
if the roof moves a bit, the mortar fails rather than the tiles and
slates breaking, which is preferable. But either will do the job.

NT

sploop

"Cycle" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
When you buy lime to use in a cement:lime:sand mortar mix, what kind

of lime do you ask for

just 'lime'. What you'll get is hydrated non-hydraulic lime.

Thanks everybody, as usual good advice in abundance. Thanks again and merry
christmas to you all.