AutoTracer

Default Cement foundation for shed

I plan to build a 10'x12' shed in my yard. I have this patio area made up
of 7-8 rectangular slabs of cement, all with different surface and each
slightly tilted so that I have this uneven patchy surface.

What I want to do is erect a shed over a large portion of this patio and I
am trying to decide if a cement or wood floor is best for the floor. OK,
wood is easy, I just need to make some footings. My question centers around
the cement pour.

Do I need to remove all that ugly patio cement and start with a new slab
poured onto compacted earth or can I (and this is the real question) pour a
new slab on top of the old cement. I suppose I would need a comcrete
bonding agent and either rebar or a metal fabric to reinforce but is
building up like this a recipe for cracks or other problems. The old patio
is probably 30years old and is unlikly to settle much more. What minimum
thickness should I use?

Walt Conner

Probably be helpful to know what climate you live in. I can't advise you on
concrete part but in many locals now, you need a permit to put up even a
small storage shed as you mention plus in our area, they tax you if it is on
a concrete slab (permanent building) but not if is on runners - wood floor -
thus considered temp. movable building.

Walt Conner

I am trying to decide if a cement or wood floor is best for the floor. OK,
wood is easy, I just need to make some footings. My question centers

around
the cement pour.

Bruce

What you are talking about is concrete, not cement. Cement is a
component of concrete.

Your plan is a recipe for disaster. You need footings. The concrete
slabs you are talking about are not footings. Hire a professional to
help you do this project right.