Lobster

Default Cement-won't-set problem

Hi

Got a bit of an issue with an outside doorstep and floor I patch repaired on
Monday. It still hasn't gone off properly yet!

I used a sharpsand-cement mix, at 3.5:1, with plasticiser/waterproofer in
the water, and I think in my haste I may have put a bit too much in - that's
likely to have caused the symptoms isn't it? Also, it went a tad below zero
that night - won't have helped either I suppose?

It's definitely harder today (Wed) than it was yesterday (Tues) but is it
going to get there eventually? Or should I call it quits and redo the whole
job?

Thanks
David

The Natural Philosopher

Lobster wrote:

Hi

Got a bit of an issue with an outside doorstep and floor I patch repaired on
Monday. It still hasn't gone off properly yet!

I used a sharpsand-cement mix, at 3.5:1, with plasticiser/waterproofer in
the water, and I think in my haste I may have put a bit too much in - that's
likely to have caused the symptoms isn't it? Also, it went a tad below zero
that night - won't have helped either I suppose?

It's definitely harder today (Wed) than it was yesterday (Tues) but is it
going to get there eventually? Or should I call it quits and redo the whole
job?

Thanks
David

I had some lime cut mortar that took about a month to set properly.

I haven;t laid any stuff the last two weeks, but even prior to taht it
was only going frm 'slooppy' to 'soft crunchie' after a day, and taking
many more days to harden off properly.

Be patient.
Michael Mcneil

Lobster wrote:

I used a sharpsand-cement mix, at 3.5:1, with plasticiser/waterproofer in
the water, and I think in my haste I may have put a bit too much in - that's
likely to have caused the symptoms isn't it? Also, it went a tad below zero
that night - won't have helped either I suppose?

I had some lime cut mortar that took about a month to set properly.

Chop it out and start again. Wait until the weather turns warmer. Try
not to be so bloody petty 1950's.

Lobster

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:e82ca74e4ce74931331cce53e6bedca8.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...

Lobster wrote:

I used a sharpsand-cement mix, at 3.5:1, with plasticiser/waterproofer
in
the water, and I think in my haste I may have put a bit too much in -
that's
likely to have caused the symptoms isn't it? Also, it went a tad below
zero
that night - won't have helped either I suppose?

I had some lime cut mortar that took about a month to set properly.

I haven;t laid any stuff the last two weeks, but even prior to taht it
was only going frm 'slooppy' to 'soft crunchie' after a day, and taking
many more days to harden off properly.

Be patient.

Chop it out and start again. Wait until the weather turns warmer. Try
not to be so bloody petty 1950's.

Don't know what the above was all about, however I followed NatPhil's
advice; for which thanks very much - it's now set fine!

David