Steve

Default House Survey Books

Hi does anyone know of any books about doing a basic home survey.

Thanks

Steve
Anna Kettle

I can't remember the name of the book I read but it was written to be
used by student surveyors to study the subject and was fine for
surveying a Victorian terrace house. I then made up a checklist and
walked round the house with it.

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Pargeting, decorative and traditional
dg

There are a number of books which are comprehensive.

However, you should remember that although you may be told how to look
for faults and what some basic situations may indicate, it will not
tell you the wider implications - ie is the condition on-going,
historic, of concern, minor or what it will cost to fix.

For example, a crack right down the lounge wall may look serious but
be of little consequence and be easily remedied. But you could use
this to get a good few thousand off the property price or it could put
you off the property and you miss a bargain. Or a very small piece of
blown plaster may appear to be a minor decorating issue, but it could
be caused by severe distress to the wall from the load from the
upstairs wall after the previous owner removed a structural support.

Is that white powder on the roof rafter caused by a previous leak or
condensation, is it fungus or salts? Do you spend £500 on a roofer or
a loft insulator - or both?

Only experience is going to help you here, not a book.

Books are allright for helping you learn long term, but not if you
expect to be able to read one and then go and do your survey.

dg

Steve wrote in message . ..
Hi does anyone know of any books about doing a basic home survey.

Thanks

Steve

supporting first floor in solid stone walled house g UK diy 4 July 29th 03 11:26 PM
I nearly bought that house!!! hendo2002 UK diy 4 July 19th 03 11:02 AM
house alteration costs. John UK diy 0 July 16th 03 08:02 PM
Bodge central or is it just my house? ;-) Mark UK diy 11 July 10th 03 12:23 AM
Survey advice BigWallop UK diy 9 July 10th 03 12:03 AM