David White

Default Combi timer

We have recently had a Ravenheat combi boiler fitted in a cupboard at floor
level. This position makes it very difficult to read the dial for the
timer. I asked Ravenheat whether it would be possible to have the dial
relocated elsewhere on the boiler, or externally, by extending wiring. They
replied that I could use a remote timer which must have volt free
connections (whatever than means), but this is not something that they
supply. Does anyone know how to get a remote timer, preferably one that I
could fit myself?

David,
Manchester.

BigWallop

"David White" wrote in message
We have recently had a Ravenheat combi boiler fitted in a cupboard at

floor
level. This position makes it very difficult to read the dial for the
timer. I asked Ravenheat whether it would be possible to have the dial
relocated elsewhere on the boiler, or externally, by extending wiring.

They
replied that I could use a remote timer which must have volt free
connections (whatever than means), but this is not something that they
supply. Does anyone know how to get a remote timer, preferably one that I
could fit myself?

David,
Manchester.

Any timer will let you control a relay to give volt free switching. All you
need is a solenoid relay that works with a mains voltage coil on the
solenoid. They're not to big so could probably fit inside the boiler near
the original timer unit. It all depends on what Ampage the contacts need to
be rated at for the boiler control.

You're looking for something like these on the top of row of pictures:

http://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/co...zzi-relays.htm

The new timer will only control the coil that operates the relay switching.
The relay then operates the boiler controls by switching them on or off when
the relay switching activates. That way you can fit any timer unit to
control the solenoid relay.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:

[...]

Just get a heating timer with volts free contacts.
Even a bog-standard timer like a Honeywell ST699
has them, so I expect more modern ones do too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Rumm

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just get a heating timer with volts free contacts.
Even a bog-standard timer like a Honeywell ST699
has them, so I expect more modern ones do too.

Or go for a programmable thermostat instead, leave the boiler timer set
to permenently on and then you can tell the stat what temperatures you
want and when (rather than the crude "on or off" control you get with a
normal timer)

--
Cheers,

John.

James Salisbury

"David White" wrote in message
We have recently had a Ravenheat combi boiler fitted in a cupboard at
floor
level. This position makes it very difficult to read the dial for the
timer. I asked Ravenheat whether it would be possible to have the dial
relocated elsewhere on the boiler, or externally, by extending wiring.
They
replied that I could use a remote timer which must have volt free
connections (whatever than means), but this is not something that they
supply. Does anyone know how to get a remote timer, preferably one that I
could fit myself?

David,
Manchester.

Set the boiler to run continously, and wire in a Honeywell CM67NG RF
controller, put the reciver close to the boiler, the main control unit in an
approprate place in the house.

David White

"James Salisbury" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, James. Do you think this one on e-bay would do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

David.

James Salisbury

[...]

That looks like the hardwired version use it to replace your current room
stat, frig the timer so heating is on constant and use the cm67 to control
the heating.

Christian McArdle

Does anyone know how to get a remote timer, preferably one that I
could fit myself?

They mean use a programmable thermostat and don't bother using the onboard
timer. Alternatively, use a conventional thermostat and a separate timer,
but this has loads of disadvantages and even costs more.

A search for "programmable thermostat + uk" will reveal about 500 models to
choose from, from as many suppliers.

Christian.

Intermatic timer question barry martin Home Repair 0 June 25th 04 06:27 PM
Danfoss FP715 Timer / Combi Boiler DK UK diy 0 February 11th 04 08:02 PM
CH timer workaround - is it safe? anon UK diy 8 December 6th 03 12:18 PM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Worcester Combi - Timer Get's Stuck young lad UK diy 3 October 8th 03 10:19 PM