young lad

Default Worcester Combi - Timer Get's Stuck

The timer on my combi-boiler is not a digital display - it's an old
mechanical dial. There are four 'triggers' (2 on - 2 off) around the
dial so I can set the heating to to come on twice (if selected) in any
24hr period.

When it's time for the heating to come on the dial (which up until
this point has kept time fine) gets stuck - as though the triggers
themselves are preventing the dial moving on into the change of state.
If I apply a bit of pressure to turn the dial, once it clicks past the
trigger the heating comes on fine - it just needs to be forced. But
this obviously defeats the object of a timer (I could just as easily
switch the heating on/off using the 24hr setting).

We'll be moving out of the house over the coming months (so
suggestions of getting myself a modern boiler will be politely
ignored....), but until then, I'm not sure how much more whinging I
can put up with from my girlfriend when the heating hasn't come on in
the morning.

It's a Worcester 9.24.

If anybody knows of anything that may be worth trying on the boiler
I'd be very grateful - otherwise I'll be tempted to apply for that
"Wife Swap" tv program.

Cheers
ben

young lad wrote:

If anybody knows of anything that may be worth trying on the boiler
I'd be very grateful - otherwise I'll be tempted to apply for that
"Wife Swap" tv program.

Some WD40?

If that doesn't work you could swap the timer, but it would probably be
cheaper to leave it set permanently on and to connect up a programmable
thermostat (30quid-ish from Screwfix).

That would mean some wiring though, so if you're moving out you might
not want to bother.

Ben.

John

I replaced the mechanical one with a Horstmann Digital from Screwfix -
Centaur C27 - £27. Dead easy.

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/pages/central.html

--

Regards

John

"young lad" wrote in message
m...
[...]

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

geoff

In message , young lad
writes
[...]

I'd try a SMALL amount of grease first
--
geoff

New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Freezer problem:- defrost heater stuck on, why might this be? BigWallop UK diy 0 September 5th 03 03:03 PM
Worcester combi boiler not always firing Oliver Payne UK diy 4 August 31st 03 06:23 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM