eddie

Default exterior flourescent light fitting

Hi
I would like to put a four feet fluorescent light above my front door I was
wondering if you can get exterior ones and where to get one.
Thanks from Eddie in Glasgow..

Andy Hall

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:23:52 +0000 (UTC), "eddie"
wrote:

Hi
I would like to put a four feet fluorescent light above my front door I was
wondering if you can get exterior ones and where to get one.
Thanks from Eddie in Glasgow..

Electrical wholesalers have them, but normally to order.

You can get fittings with a polycarbonate base and a diffuser that
clips on together with a seal. They are IP65 rated and the
polycarbonate means that they are reasonably impact resistant as well

An example is RS Components rswww.com part no. 431-4533

But ask a wholesaler as you can get better pricing

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
eddie wrote:
I would like to put a four feet fluorescent light above my front door I
was wondering if you can get exterior ones and where to get one.

Is it totally exposed to the elements?

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
BigWallop

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
eddie wrote:
I would like to put a four feet fluorescent light above my front door I
was wondering if you can get exterior ones and where to get one.

Is it totally exposed to the elements?

Including insect infestation. Intrinsically safe units are meant for gas
tight operation, so these are the best units to get for their outdoor IP
ratings. Look for something with an IP rating of IP65. They are sold with
seal packs of washers and stuffing glands to keep everything out of the
fitting. Even if the cable entry is to be made through the back of the unit
to hide the cable, make sure you seal it from the elements and insect
infestations.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:
Is it totally exposed to the elements?

Including insect infestation. Intrinsically safe units are meant for
gas tight operation, so these are the best units to get for their
outdoor IP ratings. Look for something with an IP rating of IP65. They
are sold with seal packs of washers and stuffing glands to keep
everything out of the fitting. Even if the cable entry is to be made
through the back of the unit to hide the cable, make sure you seal it
from the elements and insect infestations.

I was just pondering - as you do - that a 4 foot fluorescent totally
exposed above a front door would look hideous. If, however, it was within
a porch of some sort where you only saw the light from it, fine. But then
wouldn't be exposed to the elements.
I've got four 2 ft ones exactly like this, but they're ordinary tubes
behind a custom made diffuser - with the electronic ballasts indoors.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

BigWallop

BigWallop wrote:
[...]

So the working are not really exposed to the weather then? If the whole
fitting where to go outdoors, then it's best to make it a sealed unit to
stop the weather and insects from getting in (moths and other creepy
crawlies attracted by light). But if it's just the tubes on the ends of
bits of cable from internal electrics, then the moths go to the light and
not the workings.

The tubes themselves are basically safe to use in a sheltered position, but
heat and electrics in an exposed site will attract all sorts of things to
nest and lay in. Once the inside of a fitting becomes infested it gathers
more and more moisture through the litter left behind, which isn't a good
thing.