louise

Default Noisy flourescent light

I have two flourescent tube lights on my kitchen
ceiling. One of the is making a constant, irritating
humming noise. It isn't due to the tube-bulb 'cos
I've swapped it with the other one. Have also tried
a new starter with no improvement.

The noise is coming from inside the fitting. What
can I do about it? Can I fix it or do I have to buy
a whole new fitting?

Also - a bit OT (feel free to ignore) - I've looked at
B&Q website 'cos wanted a rough idea of price if I
have to buy a whole new light, but there doesn't
seem to be any mention of flourescent lights.
Are people not buyimg them so much now? Are
there better types of lighting I could use instead
if I did have to replace the whole thing?

Andy Hall

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:34:47 -0000, "louise"
wrote:

I have two flourescent tube lights on my kitchen
ceiling. One of the is making a constant, irritating
humming noise. It isn't due to the tube-bulb 'cos
I've swapped it with the other one. Have also tried
a new starter with no improvement.

The noise is coming from inside the fitting. What
can I do about it? Can I fix it or do I have to buy
a whole new fitting?

It's from a component inside called a choke - basically a chunk of
metal with windings like a transformer.

You can replace them quite cheaply and easily, or new fluorescent
fittings are pretty inexpensive.

If you never want to have buzzing and flickering again, you can buy
fittings with electronic ballast (control) inside. More expensive
though but they start first time, every time.

Also - a bit OT (feel free to ignore) - I've looked at
B&Q website 'cos wanted a rough idea of price if I
have to buy a whole new light, but there doesn't
seem to be any mention of flourescent lights.

That' because it is spelled 'fluorescent'. "Flourescent" is
something that might have been made by McDougalls.

Are people not buyimg them so much now? Are
there better types of lighting I could use instead
if I did have to replace the whole thing?

It depends on the kind of lighting that you like.

Personally, I prefer wide beam halogen lights for the room lighting
and mood lighting against the walls and small fluorescents over
worktops under the cupboards.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Richard Sterry

"louise" wrote in message
[snip]
Also - a bit OT (feel free to ignore) - I've looked at
B&Q website 'cos wanted a rough idea of price if I
have to buy a whole new light, but there doesn't
seem to be any mention of flourescent lights.
Are people not buyimg them so much now? Are
there better types of lighting I could use instead
if I did have to replace the whole thing?

The B&Q website is without doubt one of the most useless I have ever
encountered. Even if you try and find items you know full well are in store,
the search comes up with all sorts of utterly irrelevant stuff. Absolutely
hopeless!

Yes, of course they stock fluorescent fittings, as do all the other DIY
'sheds' - about a tenner for a 5 footer AFAICR.

Rick