louise

Default Noisy flourescent light

I have two flourescent tube lights on my kitchen
ceiling. One of the is making a constant, irritating
humming noise. It isn't due to the tube-bulb 'cos
I've swapped it with the other one. Have also tried
a new starter with no improvement.

The noise is coming from inside the fitting. What
can I do about it? Can I fix it or do I have to buy
a whole new fitting?

Also - a bit OT (feel free to ignore) - I've looked at
B&Q website 'cos wanted a rough idea of price if I
have to buy a whole new light, but there doesn't
seem to be any mention of flourescent lights.
Are people not buyimg them so much now? Are
there better types of lighting I could use instead
if I did have to replace the whole thing?