Timothy Murphy

Default Are string vests OT?

I'm desperately searching for string underwear,
my last string vest bought from M&S 15 years ago
just having disintegrated in the wash.

I asked on uk.misc, and someone suggested I should post here,
which I was a little hesitant to do,
as I certainly don't want to make the clothes myself.
(One suggestion I got on uk.misc was to buy a knitting machine
and a supply of string.)

I know string underwear is a cause of superior merriment,
but I am a firm believer in the merits of this apparel.

So if anyone can suggest a source of cotton string underwear
in the UK (or further afield) I should be most grateful.

I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Andy Hall

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:52:35 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I'm desperately searching for string underwear,
my last string vest bought from M&S 15 years ago
just having disintegrated in the wash.

I'm surprised that they were selling them as recently as that.

I thought this went out in the sixties.

I asked on uk.misc, and someone suggested I should post here,
which I was a little hesitant to do,
as I certainly don't want to make the clothes myself.
(One suggestion I got on uk.misc was to buy a knitting machine
and a supply of string.)

I know string underwear is a cause of superior merriment,
but I am a firm believer in the merits of this apparel.

So if anyone can suggest a source of cotton string underwear
in the UK (or further afield) I should be most grateful.

I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

So.... err.... what is your aim??

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I'm desperately searching for string underwear,
my last string vest bought from M&S 15 years ago
just having disintegrated in the wash.

I think I might have a pattern for one and you use 'dishcloth' cotton yarn
which is soft and excellent for vests. You don't need a knitting machine and
they don't take long to knit on thick nedles.

Mary

Peter Crosland

I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

Mary Fisher

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

I'll put away my knitting needles!

Mary

Grunff

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I know string underwear is a cause of superior merriment,
but I am a firm believer in the merits of this apparel.

You strange, strange man...

--
Grunff
Abso

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I'm desperately searching for string underwear,
my last string vest bought from M&S 15 years ago
just having disintegrated in the wash.

I asked on uk.misc, and someone suggested I should post here,
which I was a little hesitant to do,
as I certainly don't want to make the clothes myself.
(One suggestion I got on uk.misc was to buy a knitting machine
and a supply of string.)

I know string underwear is a cause of superior merriment,
but I am a firm believer in the merits of this apparel.

For those of us who are open minded, could you let us into the secret
of what the merits of this apparel are? TVM.

--
Abso [at] ukrm [dot] net

The FAQ for upce is at http:\\upce.org.uk
T i m

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:18:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
. ..
I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

I'll put away my knitting needles!

He didn't want chain mail Mary .. ;-)

T i m
The Natural Philosopher

Abso wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I'm desperately searching for string underwear,
my last string vest bought from M&S 15 years ago
just having disintegrated in the wash.

I asked on uk.misc, and someone suggested I should post here,
which I was a little hesitant to do,
as I certainly don't want to make the clothes myself.
(One suggestion I got on uk.misc was to buy a knitting machine
and a supply of string.)

I know string underwear is a cause of superior merriment,
but I am a firm believer in the merits of this apparel.

For those of us who are open minded, could you let us into the secret
of what the merits of this apparel are? TVM.

Traps a warm layer of air next to the skin, and doesn't cause staining
when you sweat eithert. Good idea. Sot of honeycomb cellular insulation.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
. ..
I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

I'll put away my knitting needles!

He didn't want chain mail Mary .. ;-)

I assume you mean a mail vest?

'chain' mail is Hollywood.

Knitted 'chain' mail is unspeakable.

As you know.

Mary

T i m

Mary Fisher

"Grunff" wrote in message
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I know string underwear is a cause of superior merriment,
but I am a firm believer in the merits of this apparel.

You strange, strange man...

There's nothing funny about string underwear, it makes a lot of sense.

Mary

--
Grunff

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
There's nothing funny about string underwear, it makes a lot of sense.

All I can remember is the grooves in the skin. Thermals are cheaper and
better.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Pete C

wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
. ..
I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

I'll put away my knitting needles!

Mary

Bah, vests, who needs em?

cheers,
Pete.
Timothy Murphy

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

For those of us who are open minded, could you let us into the secret
of what the merits of this apparel are? TVM.

Traps a warm layer of air next to the skin, and doesn't cause staining
when you sweat eithert. Good idea. Sot of honeycomb cellular insulation.

Exactly.

I've narrowed down the search to Norway and Nigeria -
last bastions, I am told, of string underwear.

And Norway always comes top of the "most civilized country" competition.
Need one say more.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
mike ring

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4077b708$0$8567
:

There's nothing funny about string underwear,

Mary

You can NOT be serious

mike r

dave @ stejonda

In message 0, mike
ring writes
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4077b708$0$8567
:

There's nothing funny about string underwear,

Mary

You can NOT be serious

If you didn't have Mumps as a child mike you may one day find out just
how unfunny string underwear is. ;-)

--
dave @ stejonda
Andy Hall

wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
.. .
I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

I'll put away my knitting needles!

Mary

Bah, vests, who needs em?

cheers,
Pete.

Like pyjamas really - in case of fire.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
.. .

I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

I'll put away my knitting needles!

Mary

Bah, vests, who needs em?

Anyone who works on a bulding site.

Or is likley to spend more than half an hour outside in the winter away from central heating.

Which is I accept surprisingly small minority these days.

cheers,
Pete.

The Natural Philosopher

Timothy Murphy wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

For those of us who are open minded, could you let us into the secret
of what the merits of this apparel are? TVM.

Traps a warm layer of air next to the skin, and doesn't cause staining
when you sweat eithert. Good idea. Sot of honeycomb cellular insulation.

Exactly.

I've narrowed down the search to Norway and Nigeria -
last bastions, I am told, of string underwear.

Th ecoldest and most sweatiest countries repsectively

And Norway always comes top of the "most civilized country" competition.
Need one say more.

I suspect nowregians spemnd a lot of time outside in the cold, working.

Mary Fisher

"Pete C" wrote in message

Bah, vests, who needs em?

Your time will come :-(

Mary

cheers,
Pete.

Mary Fisher

Pete C wrote:

Bah, vests, who needs em?

Anyone who works on a bulding site.

Or is likley to spend more than half an hour outside in the winter away

from central heating.

Or those who, for whatever reason, isn't near central heating.

Mary

Mary Fisher

Timothy Murphy wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

For those of us who are open minded, could you let us into the secret
of what the merits of this apparel are? TVM.

Traps a warm layer of air next to the skin, and doesn't cause staining
when you sweat eithert. Good idea. Sot of honeycomb cellular insulation.

Exactly.

I've narrowed down the search to Norway and Nigeria -
last bastions, I am told, of string underwear.

Th ecoldest and most sweatiest countries repsectively

And Norway always comes top of the "most civilized country" competition.
Need one say more.

I suspect nowregians spemnd a lot of time outside in the cold, working.

In my experience Norwegians can spell when writing English ...

Mary

Pete C

wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
. ..
I have located string vests made as far as I can see for young women
apparently from some elastic material,
but this is not quite what I am looking for,
and anyway only seems made for the upper part of one's anatomy.
They are said to cause excitement in the opposite sex,
but that is not my aim.

http://www.osbornesbigman.co.uk have them not only in the large sizes.
Norwegian made.

I'll put away my knitting needles!

Mary

Bah, vests, who needs em?

cheers,
Pete.

Like pyjamas really - in case of fire.....

LOL! When I'm on the phone to Mum and the topic of pyjamas comes up
then I know the conversation has pretty well covered everything...

chees,
Pete.
Pete C

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:22:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Bah, vests, who needs em?

Anyone who works on a bulding site.

Or is likley to spend more than half an hour outside in the winter away from central heating.

Wearing an extra tee shirt works well too.

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Hall

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:31:23 +0100, Pete C
wrote:

Bah, vests, who needs em?

cheers,
Pete.

Like pyjamas really - in case of fire.....

LOL! When I'm on the phone to Mum and the topic of pyjamas comes up
then I know the conversation has pretty well covered everything...

She's only looking after your welfare...... :-)

chees,
Pete.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher

"Pete C" wrote in message

LOL! When I'm on the phone to Mum and the topic of pyjamas comes up
then I know the conversation has pretty well covered everything...

My Mum never mentions pyjamas. We don't wear them, nighties are more
comfortable. Pyjamas are for children!

Mary

chees,
Pete.

Mary Fisher

"Pete C" wrote in message
Bah, vests, who needs em?

Anyone who works on a bulding site.

Or is likley to spend more than half an hour outside in the winter away

from central heating.

Wearing an extra tee shirt works well too.

Spouse used to disdain the wearing of vests. He said they were for wimps, he
was a Real Man and didn't need them.

When he was cold I noticed that he wore a t-shirt under his shirt.

Nowadays, when it's cold, he wears a vest under his t-shirt under his shirt
under his sweat shirt under his body warmer unde ... well you'll have got
the idea.

Mary

cheers,
Pete.

Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
There's nothing funny about string underwear, it makes a lot of sense.

All I can remember is the grooves in the skin. Thermals are cheaper and
better.

I'm not sure about thermals any more. And anyway, we'd never have had such
an interesting thread about them!

Mary

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

I wish ...

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Pete C wrote:

Bah, vests, who needs em?

Anyone who works on a bulding site.

Or is likley to spend more than half an hour outside in the winter away

from central heating.

Or those who, for whatever reason, isn't near central heating.

AREN'T near central heating. The cold has fuddled your brain Mary.

Having spent teh first 18 years of my life without it,

I can assure you that whatever else I give up, central heating will be near the bottom of the list.

Its not actually the utter cold, as much as the accompanying damp and
mildew which plays havoc with my lungs...

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

For those of us who are open minded, could you let us into the secret
of what the merits of this apparel are? TVM.

Traps a warm layer of air next to the skin, and doesn't cause staining
when you sweat eithert. Good idea. Sot of honeycomb cellular insulation.

Exactly.

I've narrowed down the search to Norway and Nigeria -
last bastions, I am told, of string underwear.

Th ecoldest and most sweatiest countries repsectively

And Norway always comes top of the "most civilized country" competition.
Need one say more.

I suspect nowregians spemnd a lot of time outside in the cold, working.

In my experience Norwegians can spell when writing English ...

In my experience you can't tell singular forms of verbs from plural.

And no, norweginas can't spell english.

What do you think a 'trottel' is?

Mary

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Pete C wrote:

Bah, vests, who needs em?

Anyone who works on a bulding site.

Or is likley to spend more than half an hour outside in the winter away

from central heating.

Or those who, for whatever reason, isn't near central heating.

AREN'T near central heating. The cold has fuddled your brain Mary.

No - just testing. I wondered who'd be the first to take the bait :-) It's
not cold here - I'm wearing my vest and long sheepskin boots.

As well as other clothes.

Having spent teh first 18 years of my life without it,

I can assure you that whatever else I give up, central heating will be

near the bottom of the list.

Yes, I reckon we could live without it. We installed it after Spouse's heart
attack, when sleeping in the cold caused him a lot of pain. That was twenty
years ago and the thermostat is turned so low now that the boiler rarely
fires. We'd managed for forty five years without it before then.

He also gave up the motor bike for the same reason and graduated to four
wheels, he's now back to a scooter for most journeys.

Mary

Mary Fisher

I suspect nowregians spemnd a lot of time outside in the cold, working.

In my experience Norwegians can spell when writing English ...

In my experience you can't tell singular forms of verbs from plural.

Oh I can!

And no, norweginas can't spell english.

What do you think a 'trottel' is?

I've no idea. I've no idea, either, what a norwegina is :-)

Are you going to tell me?

You tell me yours and I'll tell you what 'trollen' means :-)

Then we can both be bored.

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

LOL! When I'm on the phone to Mum and the topic of pyjamas comes up
then I know the conversation has pretty well covered everything...

My Mum never mentions pyjamas. We don't wear them, nighties are more
comfortable. Pyjamas are for children!

I have slept more or less naked since 1969.

Hate any sort of bedwear.

Prefer a heated bedroom :-)

Mary

chees,
Pete.

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

My Mum never mentions pyjamas. We don't wear them, nighties are more
comfortable. Pyjamas are for children!

I have slept more or less naked since 1969.

Er - do we need to know that?

Hate any sort of bedwear.

Keeps you warm when going to the ... er ... necessarium.

Prefer a heated bedroom :-)

I hate that. When it's hot, no matter how few the coverings (not a sight for
the faint hearted) I wake up with a dry mouth. And I dream.

Awful.

Mary

Mary

chees,
Pete.

tony sayer

In article , Mary
Fisher writes

"Pete C" wrote in message
.. .
Bah, vests, who needs em?

Anyone who works on a bulding site.

Or is likley to spend more than half an hour outside in the winter away

from central heating.

Wearing an extra tee shirt works well too.

Spouse used to disdain the wearing of vests. He said they were for wimps, he
was a Real Man and didn't need them.

When he was cold I noticed that he wore a t-shirt under his shirt.

Nowadays, when it's cold, he wears a vest under his t-shirt under his shirt
under his sweat shirt under his body warmer unde ... well you'll have got
the idea.

Mary

cheers,
Pete.

Has the original poster e-mailed Rab. C. Nesbit yet;-)
--
Tony Sayer

Timothy Murphy

tony sayer wrote:

Has the original poster e-mailed Rab. C. Nesbit yet;-)

I am proud to follow in the footsteps of the "string-vested philosopher".

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Pete C

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:33:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Wearing an extra tee shirt works well too.

Spouse used to disdain the wearing of vests. He said they were for wimps, he
was a Real Man and didn't need them.

When he was cold I noticed that he wore a t-shirt under his shirt.

Nowadays, when it's cold, he wears a vest under his t-shirt under his shirt
under his sweat shirt under his body warmer unde ... well you'll have got
the idea.

Sounds scarily like my Dad! Though I've given him a fleece to wear,
should help get the number of layers under control.

cheers,
Pete.
Pete C

wrote:

Bah, vests, who needs em?

cheers,
Pete.

Like pyjamas really - in case of fire.....

LOL! When I'm on the phone to Mum and the topic of pyjamas comes up
then I know the conversation has pretty well covered everything...

She's only looking after your welfare...... :-)

I know, I must have spent two hours of my life so far talking about
pyjamas on the phone!

cheers,
Pete.
BillV

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I'm desperately searching for string underwear,
my last string vest bought from M&S 15 years ago
just having disintegrated in the wash.

I asked on uk.misc, and someone suggested I should post here,
which I was a little hesitant to do,
as I certainly don't want to make the clothes myself.
(One suggestion I got on uk.misc was to buy a knitting machine
and a supply of string.)

I know string underwear is a cause of superior merriment,
but I am a firm believer in the merits of this apparel.

So if anyone can suggest a source of cotton string underwear
in the UK (or further afield) I should be most grateful.

You might be able to get them in pikey Liverpool..

BillV

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Mary Fisher wrote:

My Mum never mentions pyjamas. We don't wear them, nighties are more
comfortable. Pyjamas are for children!

I have slept more or less naked since 1969.

Er - do we need to know that?

Hate any sort of bedwear.

Keeps you warm when going to the ... er ... necessarium.

Prefer a heated bedroom :-)

I hate that. When it's hot, no matter how few the coverings (not a sight

for
the faint hearted) I wake up with a dry mouth. And I dream.

Awful.

Me too.. I find a couple of dogs or cats are sufficient to keep one warm in
bed.
As the Eskimos say, "that was a 3 dog night"