William Munns

Default Load bearing beams

Hi,
I've read thru recent posts (titles mainly), but not found
anything relating directly to my question:

I want to put two beams in the garage strong enough to hang a
shell of a car from.

The shell should weigh in at 1/2 ton max, and I would like to
hang it from the centre of the beam (worst case).

The beam should be run left/right and so the span should be
about 10'

There are no walls to place the beams on, so they will have to
be on posts. I am planning on using the garage walls to prevent
the arrangement from left/right movement, and braceing along the
walls between the posts to prevent forward/backwards movement,
but I plan to lift the car with a chain block at each end, so
there should be no load in either of these directions.

So is there anything inheriently wrong with my plan?

What thickness of wood should I be looking for to support 1/2
ton, centrally from a 10' span?

Cheers
Will
Jon

"William Munns" wrote in message
[...]

Could you not use two metal box section A frames with block and tackle?
Jon

William Munns

"Jon" wrote in
:

"William Munns" wrote in message

Could you not use two metal box section A frames with block
and tackle? Jon

The plan is to winch it up there, then rachet strap it to the
beam (in addition to the winch), and use the space underneth.
Jon

"William Munns" wrote in message
"Jon" wrote in
:

"William Munns" wrote in message

Could you not use two metal box section A frames with block
and tackle? Jon

The plan is to winch it up there, then rachet strap it to the
beam (in addition to the winch), and use the space underneth.

Are you planning on keeping the shell suspended for some time?
Do you intend to walk below the suspended shell?
Jon

William Munns

"Jon" wrote in news:c4ufjr$m6b$1
@thorium.cix.co.uk:

Are you planning on keeping the shell suspended for some time?

Yes, 6 months

Do you intend to walk below the suspended shell?

/s/walk/work yes, thats kinda the point!

Jon

"William Munns" wrote in message
"Jon" wrote in news:c4ufjr$m6b$1
@thorium.cix.co.uk:

Are you planning on keeping the shell suspended for some time?

Yes, 6 months

Do you intend to walk below the suspended shell?

/s/walk/work yes, thats kinda the point!

If that was me underneath it, I'd want it supported on stands as well as
being strapped up.
Jon

Stuart

[...]

I would then use an 8" RSJ supported by an A frame on each side made out of
4" square tube.

You suggest hanging the car from one central point, I would be concerned
that this approach could buckle the roof, I would support the car from two
points directly above each side!

Michael McNeil

Someone gave me a link to joists but I saved it on a browser that went
the way of all flesh recently. Searh for joists. The span will give you
the loading. I think 7 x 2's should do but you could bolt a pair
together to be certain they are faily cheap. If you can select your ow
choose straight timber with few or no knots. Certainly no large dead
knotts in the centre.

You aught to make a framework up to act as bracing. I wouldn't want to
advise you on that.

Zymurgy

William Munns wrote
Hi,
but I plan to lift the car with a chain block at each end, so
there should be no load in either of these directions.

So is there anything inheriently wrong with my plan?

Yes

What thickness of wood should I be looking for to support 1/2
ton, centrally from a 10' span?

Forget wood, use steel box section.

Seek out a steel fabricator if you can't MIG weld.

HTH

Paul.
William Munns

"Stuart" wrote in
:

[...]

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I plan to have two such beams, one
at the rear and one at the front of the car, and I plan to put
a chain hoist on each beam, and split the load further down
the chain onto the front spring mounts at the back, and the
chassis rails at the front. the 1/2 ton should be spread
across the two beams, but I'd prefer each beam to be able to
take the full weight.

Harry Bloomfield

William Munns submitted this idea :
What thickness of wood should I be looking for to support 1/2
ton, centrally from a 10' span?

Wood? I think a steel RSJ would be much more suitable as well as being
of a more predictable load bearing strength. I have no idea of the size
or how to calculate it, but obviously the deeper the RSJ, the thinner
it can be.

I would then think in terms of an A frame arrangement at either end of
the beam to support it. These would be bolted to the walls so they
can't move. What sort of walls do you have on the garage?

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Hot Point Washing Machine main bearing failed Andrew Welham UK diy 12 October 30th 03 12:05 AM
old black beams DavidD UK diy 4 September 23rd 03 07:25 PM
I beams for shed roof Grunff UK diy 3 July 31st 03 07:29 PM