William Munns

Default Load bearing beams

"Stuart" wrote in
:

William Munns wrote in message
Hi,
I've read thru recent posts (titles mainly), but not found
anything relating directly to my question:

I want to put two beams in the garage strong enough to
hang a shell of a car from.

The shell should weigh in at 1/2 ton max, and I would like
to hang it from the centre of the beam (worst case).

The beam should be run left/right and so the span should
be about 10'

There are no walls to place the beams on, so they will
have to be on posts. I am planning on using the garage
walls to prevent the arrangement from left/right movement,
and braceing along the walls between the posts to prevent
forward/backwards movement, but I plan to lift the car
with a chain block at each end, so there should be no load
in either of these directions.

So is there anything inheriently wrong with my plan?

What thickness of wood should I be looking for to support
1/2 ton, centrally from a 10' span?

I would then use an 8" RSJ supported by an A frame on each
side made out of 4" square tube.

You suggest hanging the car from one central point, I would
be concerned that this approach could buckle the roof, I
would support the car from two points directly above each
side!

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I plan to have two such beams, one
at the rear and one at the front of the car, and I plan to put
a chain hoist on each beam, and split the load further down
the chain onto the front spring mounts at the back, and the
chassis rails at the front. the 1/2 ton should be spread
across the two beams, but I'd prefer each beam to be able to
take the full weight.