Bill M

Default Glow Worm - Good/bad?

Anyone have any experience of the the 30Sxi or 30Hxi models?

They seem to have one of the greatest burner modulation ranges 28-5 kW
but I haven't seen any favourable or otherwise reports.

Or should I go with one of these two, which seem to be more popular on
this group:

Vaillant Ecomax 635 (new model with greater modulation than previous
models)
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE system.

Quiet or noisy? For (upstairs cupboard other side of bedroom wall)

Any reason why the Glow Worm system model is cheaper than the
conventinal, even though it includes the pump and expansion vessel?

Any comments gratefully received.

TIA
Simon Stroud

"Bill M" wrote in message
om...
Anyone have any experience of the the 30Sxi or 30Hxi models?

They seem to have one of the greatest burner modulation ranges 28-5 kW
but I haven't seen any favourable or otherwise reports.

Or should I go with one of these two, which seem to be more popular on
this group:

Vaillant Ecomax 635 (new model with greater modulation than previous
models)
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE system.

Quiet or noisy? For (upstairs cupboard other side of bedroom wall)

Any reason why the Glow Worm system model is cheaper than the
conventinal, even though it includes the pump and expansion vessel?

Any comments gratefully received.

TIA

If you're looking for a wide modulation range, take a look at
www.eco-hometec.co.uk

Their Eco Hometec-badged MAN Micromat boilers modulate over a wide range,
e.g. 5.1-30kW for the EC31. I have their EC31S combi. It replaced a very old
Glow Worm Fuelsaver 55F. Very pleased with it.

Not particularly cheap though - if you're looking for cheap I would suggest
looking elsewhere. This might be why it's not so "popular" on this group.
Built to last, though (touch wood!).

You should find plenty of Google-archived posts by Andy Hall and myself on
the subject.

Regards,

Simon.

IMM

"Bill M" wrote in message
om...
Anyone have any experience of the the 30Sxi or 30Hxi models?

They seem to have one of the greatest burner modulation ranges 28-5 kW
but I haven't seen any favourable or otherwise reports.

Or should I go with one of these two, which seem to be more popular on
this group:

Glow Worm condensers are excellent. Most of the parts are made by Vaillant,
as Vaillant own them. Since Vaillant took over the quality levels have
risen.

Vaillant Ecomax 635 (new model with greater modulation than previous
models)
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE system.

Quiet or noisy? For (upstairs cupboard other side of bedroom wall)

Any reason why the Glow Worm system model is cheaper than the
conventinal, even though it includes the pump and expansion vessel?

Scale of manufacture. More systems are sold than the heating version.

Bill M

"Simon Stroud" wrote in message ...
"Bill M" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I looked closely at the MAN boilers some time ago. It would be my
boiler of choice, but the price left little out of £2k by the time you
added in the flue, isolation valves, RS232 cable, their recommended
commisioning visit etc.

Searched and searched but could not turn out any comments on the newer
Glow Worm boilers. I just don't want to have to live with a bad choice
- which is just based on the burner modulation range!!

Regards

Bill

Regards,

Simon.

Christian McArdle

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE system.

I have the 28HE System. It is excellent. I have no experience of the others.

Christian.

Mary Hinge

(Bill M) wrote in message . com...
Anyone have any experience of the the 30Sxi or 30Hxi models?

Only recently had a 30HXI installed so can't really comment, but
£438+VAT from
http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk/boilers_prices.asp must
be the cheapest price anywhere?

Hardest bit was finding a reasonably-priced installer (BTW you don't
need to go with any of the installers registered with the scheme, they
don't seem to concerned about the installer side of things, I could
have put anyones name on the form, didn't ask for CORGI number or
anything.)

Not surprisingly the installer I did use signed up with the scheme, he
couldn't beleive the prices.
John Stumbles

Bill M wrote:
Anyone have any experience of the the 30Sxi or 30Hxi models?

They seem to have one of the greatest burner modulation ranges 28-5 kW
but I haven't seen any favourable or otherwise reports.

Or should I go with one of these two, which seem to be more popular on
this group:

Vaillant Ecomax 635 (new model with greater modulation than previous
models)
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE system.

Quiet or noisy? For (upstairs cupboard other side of bedroom wall)

Was working beside an Ecomax the other day (don't know which model) and
pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. When delivering hot water it
seemed to cycle on and off rather than modulate to keep the temperature
within a few degrees.
BillM

Mary Hinge wrote:
(Bill M) wrote in message

. com...
Anyone have any experience of the the 30Sxi or 30Hxi models?

Only recently had a 30HXI installed so can't really comment, but
=A3438+VAT from
http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk/boilers_prices.asp
must
be the cheapest price anywhere?

Hardest bit was finding a reasonably-priced installer (BTW you don't
need to go with any of the installers registered with the scheme,

they
don't seem to concerned about the installer side of things, I could
have put anyones name on the form, didn't ask for CORGI number or
anything.)

Not surprisingly the installer I did use signed up with the scheme,

he
couldn't beleive the prices.

Mary

I've got to choose a new boiler soon. Now you have had some time with
the Glow Worm, could you give me an idea of how noisy it is. I want to
put the boiler on the otherside of our bedroom wall in an airing
cupboard. The bedroom door is next to the airing cupboard door, so not
much sound isolation there.

I was nosing around a showhouse (Barrat/Wimpey type). They used Ideal
Icos boilers - loads of noise from the fanned flue. It was fitted in
the kitchen so not too much of a problem in that case, but I wouldn't
want that kind of noise level six foot away at 6 AM!!

Grateful for any comments you have.

ps Thanks for the pointer to the Use less energy site.

Bill M

Glow worm 30cxi fault John UK diy 5 March 21st 06 05:10 PM
glow worm boiler leaked, water damaged the floor and kitchen units. mele UK diy 6 October 20th 04 04:54 PM
Glow worm boiler problem Peter Kelly UK diy 6 December 16th 03 04:51 PM
Limiting DHW output of a glow worm Swiftflow 125E Ian Smith UK diy 2 September 25th 03 05:25 PM
Is a Glow Worm 18HXI boiler any good? Tim Mitchell UK diy 5 July 31st 03 10:09 PM