Default Replacing CH pipework.

Hi All,

I am getting my CH system replaced soon. The boiler is old (15
years+) and the rads even older. Due to the presense of a Primatic
cylinder no inhibiter is used. At least one of the rads is very
sludged up (cold at bottom). My question is: How likely will the
pipework need replacing? It's approx 15mm (not microbore).
The water is not very hard.

TIA. W

Set Square

W wrote:

Hi All,

I am getting my CH system replaced soon. The boiler is old (15
years+) and the rads even older. Due to the presense of a Primatic
cylinder no inhibiter is used. At least one of the rads is very
sludged up (cold at bottom). My question is: How likely will the
pipework need replacing? It's approx 15mm (not microbore).
The water is not very hard.

TIA. W

If the pipework is copper, it will probably be ok. I assume you're getting
rid of the primatic cylinder?

The chances are that your new system will be unvented (pressurised). Don't
be surprised if your radiators spring lots of little leaks - there is likely
to be lots of internal corrosion. You should plan on replacing them all.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:47:27 -0000, "Set Square"

W wrote:

Hi All,

I am getting my CH system replaced soon. The boiler is old (15
years+) and the rads even older. Due to the presense of a Primatic
cylinder no inhibiter is used. At least one of the rads is very
sludged up (cold at bottom). My question is: How likely will the
pipework need replacing? It's approx 15mm (not microbore).
The water is not very hard.

TIA. W

If the pipework is copper, it will probably be ok. I assume you're getting
rid of the primatic cylinder?

Yes, definitely :-)

The chances are that your new system will be unvented (pressurised). Don't
be surprised if your radiators spring lots of little leaks - there is likely
to be lots of internal corrosion. You should plan on replacing them all.

At present I want to get a Heat bank (subject to mains pressure/flow
rate) and I am intending to replace the rads anyway.

Cheers, W.

Condensing/combi boiler vs. pipework question Dave Phillips UK diy 2 April 20th 04 10:02 AM
Shower Pump Pipework Justin UK diy 1 February 16th 04 11:21 PM
Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework David Hearn UK diy 5 February 5th 04 04:41 PM
Replacing Conventional with Combi Boiler - How DIY is this ? Kevin UK diy 7 October 24th 03 11:07 PM
How do you solder pipework which is at the lowest point of the circuit? PoP UK diy 12 October 2nd 03 07:17 AM