EF

Default Central heating, upstairs too hot

Hi,

Can someone tell me what the best solution is to get a balanced
temperature in my house. I have a wireless thermostat programmer to
control the CH. If I have it downstairs in the living room, it is too
hot upstairs. If I move it upstairs it is too cold downstairs.

To solve this, should I simply adjust the control valves on the
upstairs radiators, or should I install control valves which have
thermostats on the upstairs radiators?

I recently changed my system from basic on/off timer without any
thermostats, to "c plan" (gravity fed cylinder with thermostat on
cylinder and valve to cut off gravity fed loop, programmer for hot
water control, pump on CH circuit, and wireless thermostat programmer
for CH control).

Cheers,
EF
MikeS

"EF" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the best solution is to get a balanced
temperature in my house. I have a wireless thermostat programmer to
control the CH. If I have it downstairs in the living room, it is too
hot upstairs. If I move it upstairs it is too cold downstairs.

To solve this, should I simply adjust the control valves on the
upstairs radiators, or should I install control valves which have
thermostats on the upstairs radiators?

I recently changed my system from basic on/off timer without any
thermostats, to "c plan" (gravity fed cylinder with thermostat on
cylinder and valve to cut off gravity fed loop, programmer for hot
water control, pump on CH circuit, and wireless thermostat programmer
for CH control).

Cheers,
EF

Theromstatic valves upstairs
make sure you put them on the feed (hot) side of the rad.
MikeS

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(EF) writes:
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the best solution is to get a balanced
temperature in my house. I have a wireless thermostat programmer to
control the CH. If I have it downstairs in the living room, it is too
hot upstairs. If I move it upstairs it is too cold downstairs.

How about carrying it around with you? ;-)
(Now who was it who suggested the only type of thermostat
which would work would be a radio one which measured wife's
body temperature?;-)

To solve this, should I simply adjust the control valves on the
upstairs radiators, or should I install control valves which have
thermostats on the upstairs radiators?

Fitting thermostatic radiator valves in the hot rooms would
be a good solution. You could try reducing individual radiator
temperatures by reducing the flow, but it's not likely to be a
particularly satisfactory solution, e.g. slower warmup from
cold, etc.

I recently changed my system from basic on/off timer without any
thermostats, to "c plan" (gravity fed cylinder with thermostat on
cylinder and valve to cut off gravity fed loop, programmer for hot
water control, pump on CH circuit, and wireless thermostat programmer
for CH control).

Another option would be to have separate zones upstairs and
downstairs, with separate thermostats (and possibly separate
time control too). This is easy to do with a new installation,
but ease of retrofitting it would depend on pipe layout.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Set Square

EF wrote:

Hi,

Can someone tell me what the best solution is to get a balanced
temperature in my house. I have a wireless thermostat programmer to
control the CH. If I have it downstairs in the living room, it is too
hot upstairs. If I move it upstairs it is too cold downstairs.

To solve this, should I simply adjust the control valves on the
upstairs radiators, or should I install control valves which have
thermostats on the upstairs radiators?

I recently changed my system from basic on/off timer without any
thermostats, to "c plan" (gravity fed cylinder with thermostat on
cylinder and valve to cut off gravity fed loop, programmer for hot
water control, pump on CH circuit, and wireless thermostat programmer
for CH control).

Cheers,
EF

The first thing is do is to balance the system in order to get equal
temperature drops across all radiators. There is a FAQ all about this, but
basically it means partially closing the lockshield valves on the hottest
rads. If, when the system is in balance, some rooms are *still* hotter than
others, it indicates that the hotter rooms have got over-sized ** radiators
relative to the heat losses. The best way to deal with this is to fit TRVs
on these rads, which will turn the rads off when the room gets up to
temperature.

** OR, that the coolest rooms have under-sized rads - but you may not find
out which until the middle of winter!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

MikeS

"EF" wrote in message
[...]

EF,

One can calculate the output of a radiator if you can accurately measure the
Temperature drop across the radiator and take account of ambient air
temperature using a formula (which I can't remember as it was some twenty
years ago since I designed my and my friend systems). You can find out about
how to measure the output of a radiator at heating and ventilation news
group ( or this one if there are any Heating and ventilation engineers
lurking). Some electronic volt meters can measure temperature accurately but
one has to have a probe to use it, I got mine from Halfords.

MikeS

EF

The first thing is do is to balance the system in order to get equal
temperature drops across all radiators. There is a FAQ all about this, but
basically it means partially closing the lockshield valves on the hottest
rads. If, when the system is in balance, some rooms are *still* hotter than
others, it indicates that the hotter rooms have got over-sized ** radiators
relative to the heat losses. The best way to deal with this is to fit TRVs
on these rads, which will turn the rads off when the room gets up to
temperature.

** OR, that the coolest rooms have under-sized rads - but you may not find
out which until the middle of winter!

Thank you all for your advice. I shall read the balancing faq and go
and buy an infrared thermometer. If that doesnt fix it I'll fit some
TRVs.

Thanks,
EF
MikeS

[...]