Jake

Default Silocone injection damp proofing effective?

Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in
my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet
above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through
from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Thank you

Jake
Richard Sterry

"Jake" wrote in message

Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in
my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet
above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through
from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Would a house of that age even have cavity walls?

Have you taken a look outside, and checked for things like leaking
drainpipes, soil bridging the damp course (I don't know what they used in
1900), that sort of thing? (ie the basics.)

More questions than answers, I know!

Rick

the q

"Richard Sterry" wrote in message
"Jake" wrote in message

Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in
my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet
above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through
from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Would a house of that age even have cavity walls?

have a look at the brick pattern of the walls, if it's the same as a modern
house with bricks overlapping by fifty percent then it's likely it has a
cavity, if as with mine it has one long edge of a brick followed by the
short end of a brick (flemish bond) or layers of ends of brick over sides of
brick( English bond) then it's likely you do not have a cavity. Also if
there is no cavity then the wall will only be nine-ish inches thick whereas
a cavity wall will be at least 11 inches

TheQ
snip

Jake

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:04:17 -0000, "Richard Sterry"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it definitely has cavity walls. I've had to replace some bricks
in it.

Yes, there is an issue with rainwater gathering on the pavement
outside to some extent, but I can't do much about that.

Anyone got an answer to my original question?

Jake

Mark

Jake wrote in message

Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in
my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet
above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through
from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Thank you

Jake

In my limited experience of *Real* serious rising damp,
( are you completely sure you do have *rising* damp?)
silicone injection is a complete waste of time and money.
Internally you will still need to remove all plaster/render upto 1.2 Mt and
apply a water/salt proof render coat to the walls before you can re-plaster.
By doing this you stand a far chance of pushing the damp somewhere else
FWIW the fluid and the injection equipment can be hired from.
http://www.hss.com
A cheaper and more effective method however is this
http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/newlath.htm

HTH

--
Mark

John Rumm

Jake wrote:

Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in

It is probably effective in the sense that it will introduce a damp
proof layer in a wall. However whether that will cure your problem is a
very different question. It would depend on why it is damp.

my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet

Detected how? Have you drilled samples and tested for moisture content
in the removed material, or just used an electrical resistance tester?

above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through

The most common causes are "bridging" (i.e. soil/path level above DPC),
broken down pipes/gutters etc. Lack of heating and ventilation (blocked
air bricks, fitting DG windows and hence eliminating natural
ventilation) inside the building and hence condensation.

from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

It could well be a solid wall at that age. A slate layer would be a
typical DPC for that age. Assuming there are not extensive cracks in the
wall, how exactly does a bit of slate "fail". Does it cease to be slate?
There is a possibility (although unlikely) that no DPC was ever
installed, in which case adding one may help.

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Can't help you there - although I am sure the kit can be hired, and it
will presumably work out much cheaper than getting a damp proofing
company in to do the work.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rob Morley

In article , "Jake" jake4445
@spamBgone.com says...
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message

[...]

If any of the pavement is yours then put a drainage channel in, if it's
the council's then try to get them to do it.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jake wrote:
Yes, it definitely has cavity walls. I've had to replace some bricks
in it.

In other words, the wall consists totally of stretcher bricks with no
headers? Ie all the bricks are lengthwise with none end on?

Yes, there is an issue with rainwater gathering on the pavement
outside to some extent, but I can't do much about that.

All the true cavity walls I've ever seen have a damp proof course. If you
can't see it for some reason to be sure, then that needs to be addressed
first.

Anyone got an answer to my original question?

On its own, a silicone damp course won't cure the problem. It has to be
combined with a waterproof re-plastering of the inside. Which beggars the
question as to whether the silicone does anything worthwhile at all.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
N. Thornton

John Rumm wrote in message ...
Jake wrote:

[...]

I would caution the OP about this path of action. 1900 houses handle
damp entirely differently from modern buildings, and dpc injection can
result in the fabric of the building beginning to disintegrate near
ground level. It is not suitable for Victorian buildings.

Nor is it effective in such buildings, it hinders the damp control
system more than it helps it. It seems to me you need to understand
how your building deals with damp, and what things you can rectify. To
speak with the experts, I'd suggest:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...rum2.pl?#34641

For other general interest, most Vic houses had no dpc of any kind,
and there are indeed 9" thick cavity walls, its called ratbond. Vics
with dpc usually used slate as the dpc material, and slate dpcs often
become ineffective due to them being bridged on the outside with
mortar. Of the few slate dpcs I've seen at least half were bridged by
inappropriate repointing technique. However if this has been done, one
should be wary of breaking the mortar off, since cement in sound
condition is a lot stronger than slate.

NT
xavier

(Jake) wrote in message ...
Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in
my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet
above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through
from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Thank you

Jake

The strict answer to your questions is Yes. But it won't do it by
itself. An injection damp proof course is part of a system with the
other part being the re-plastering. If you need the injection, you
need the replastering!

You have to ask yourself whether you have 'rising damp' in the first
place and a good place to start is to look at your 104 year old house,
its 104 year old skirting boards and its 5?/6? year old decorations.
If these are ok then, even if you do have rising damp, it isn't doing
much damage is it? Just because it's there as a phenomenon doesn't
mean to say you have to half wreck your house to clear it. If it's
not doing any harm, leave it be and let evaporation take care of it.

By far the commonest damp problem experienced in the UK is caused by
condensation. Show me an old property that has PVCu windows, a gas
fire and as many other ways to block up ventilation as modern
developments can produce and I'll almost certainly be able to show you
a house that's suffering from condensation problems. Especially on
North and East facing outside walls. It also mimics very well the
appearance of rising damp, much to the confusion of building society
surveyors whose sloping shoulders then contribute to the joy of the
damp proofing industry! (But that's another story).

Having said that, if you really *do* have a visible tide mark at a
height of one metre or so and your wall paper is peeling then it's
time to look into it further and to consider an injection dpc and
replastering. (Why hasn't anyone else who's lived there before you
been troubled)?

If you've been using a moisture meter then check your skirting boards,
top and bottom. If they have a moisture content of less than 18% (20%
at a push), then the walls they're in contact with haven't got enough
moisture in them to cause you any problems, at least as far as rotting
skirtings are concerned. However, if you have a timber suspended
floor and the joist ends are bedded in the wall, investigate a little
further to see if they're at risk of rot. (Your moisture meter is
calibrated to read moisture content in timber incidentally, not in
other materials). Twenty percent MC or above and you need to take
action - even though they may have survived intact for 104 years!

Don't bother with drilling holes and taking mortar/brick samples
because, unless you have a carbide meter (Speedy Meter) PLUS
gravimetric testing facilities, this isn't going to help you at all.
Carbide meters only give the total moisture content, and the total
moisture content is always the sum of ground/penetrating (free) water
plus hygroscopic (aborbed from the air) moisture. You need very
careful laboratory analysis to define the ratios. The total moisture
content can just frighten you into the wrong course of action - eg.,
an unnecessary injection dpc. (Remember that when the man with the
Speedy meter comes to call)!

If it's a real problem for you I would suggest you contact an
independent Remedial Treatments Surveyor (if you can find one) and pay
the hundred pounds or so he'll charge you in survey fees. It'll
probably save you a fortune in the long run.

Xav

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
xavier wrote:
The strict answer to your questions is Yes. But it won't do it by
itself. An injection damp proof course is part of a system with the
other part being the re-plastering. If you need the injection, you
need the replastering!

Which beggars the question as to what the silicone actually does? Apart
from lining the pockets of the installer?

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

N. Thornton wrote:

I would caution the OP about this path of action. 1900 houses handle
damp entirely differently from modern buildings, and dpc injection can
result in the fabric of the building beginning to disintegrate near
ground level. It is not suitable for Victorian buildings.

Something else to remember when thinking about adding impermeable layers
/ coatings / membranes to walls etc, it that much of the flow of water
through a wall is from the inside to the outside. So sealing it can make
damp worse.

--
Cheers,

John.

Jake

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 01:55:17 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Jake wrote:

Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in

It is probably effective in the sense that it will introduce a damp
proof layer in a wall. However whether that will cure your problem is a
very different question. It would depend on why it is damp.

my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet

Detected how? Have you drilled samples and tested for moisture content
in the removed material, or just used an electrical resistance tester?

I used a resistance tester. Also, the wall was plastered with some
very moisture-absorbent plaster. you could actually see the damp in
the unpainted plaster (as a darker area) after I stripped the walpaper
off. You could feel it by touching it too.

above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through

The most common causes are "bridging" (i.e. soil/path level above DPC),
broken down pipes/gutters etc. Lack of heating and ventilation (blocked
air bricks, fitting DG windows and hence eliminating natural
ventilation) inside the building and hence condensation.

from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

It could well be a solid wall at that age.

Its a cavity wall. I've eplaced bricks in the outer skin, etc.

A slate layer would be a

typical DPC for that age. Assuming there are not extensive cracks in the
wall, how exactly does a bit of slate "fail". Does it cease to be slate?
There is a possibility (although unlikely) that no DPC was ever
installed, in which case adding one may help.

It's really hard to ascertain if a DPC is even present because the
outside of the house had ben rendered with some strong mortar.

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Can't help you there - although I am sure the kit can be hired, and it
will presumably work out much cheaper than getting a damp proofing
company in to do the work.

I reckon it might be worth a try. The re-plastering of the interior is
the biggest nightmae though. I just want to sell the house. I'm now
thinking it might be better to sell the house at an appropriate price
and let the buyer worry about it.

Thanks for your input (and to everyone else too).

Jake
Jake

On 9 Nov 2004 06:35:08 -0800, (xavier) wrote:

The strict answer to your questions is Yes. But it won't do it by
itself. An injection damp proof course is part of a system with the
other part being the re-plastering. If you need the injection, you
need the replastering!

You have to ask yourself whether you have 'rising damp' in the first
place and a good place to start is to look at your 104 year old house,
its 104 year old skirting boards and its 5?/6? year old decorations.
If these are ok then, even if you do have rising damp, it isn't doing
much damage is it?

The decor, the plaster and the skirtingboards have all ben replaced at
some point in the last 25 years. The damp is quite bad. And it'd not
condensation. It's definitely coming out of the wall. (the first four
feet off the floor).

Just because it's there as a phenomenon doesn't
mean to say you have to half wreck your house to clear it. If it's
not doing any harm, leave it be and let evaporation take care of it.

That has been my approach for the past 13 years, but even after
painting the walls with waterproof damp-block paint, it's quite bad. I
reckon it would scare off many buyers.

Having said that, if you really *do* have a visible tide mark at a
height of one metre or so and your wall paper is peeling then it's
time to look into it further and to consider an injection dpc and
replastering. (Why hasn't anyone else who's lived there before you
been troubled)?

Who can say? Maybe they were troubled but couldn;t afford to deal with
it.

If you've been using a moisture meter then check your skirting boards,
top and bottom. If they have a moisture content of less than 18% (20%
at a push), then the walls they're in contact with haven't got enough
moisture in them to cause you any problems, at least as far as rotting
skirtings are concerned. However, if you have a timber suspended
floor and the joist ends are bedded in the wall, investigate a little
further to see if they're at risk of rot.

They are. I had to repair some of the joists when I moved in, 12 years
ago.

(Your moisture meter is
calibrated to read moisture content in timber incidentally, not in
other materials). Twenty percent MC or above and you need to take
action - even though they may have survived intact for 104 years!

If it's a real problem for you I would suggest you contact an
independent Remedial Treatments Surveyor (if you can find one) and pay
the hundred pounds or so he'll charge you in survey fees. It'll
probably save you a fortune in the long run.

OK - Thank you for the suggestions.

Jake

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jake wrote:
It could well be a solid wall at that age.

Its a cavity wall. I've eplaced bricks in the outer skin, etc.

You can replace bricks in the outer skin of a 9" non cavity wall too.

If you've had to replace bricks, what sort of condition is the pointing
in? This is a primary cause of water soaking through a wall.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher

Jake wrote:

Does anyone know if silicone injection damp-proofing is effective? I
have what appears to be rising damp along the two walls of a room in
my 1900-built house. (The damp can be detected up to about 4 feet
above the floor). I suppose it could also be damp penetrating through
from the outside skin of the cavity wall, if the cavity has some
debris in it. Due to the 104-yr old age of the house, I guess it was
built with a slate damp-prroof course if anything. Would silicone
injection likely cure it - and if so, how long for?

It IS effective IF the problem is rising damp.
The comparisons between walls that had been injected and those that had
not in my old house was startling.

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Get the boys in. Its easier.

Thank you

Jake

xavier

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article ,
xavier wrote:
The strict answer to your questions is Yes. But it won't do it by
itself. An injection damp proof course is part of a system with the
other part being the re-plastering. If you need the injection, you
need the replastering!

Which beggars the question as to what the silicone actually does? Apart
from lining the pockets of the installer?

Yes, that's the popular conclusion but perhaps it misses the point.
An injection dpc is a system which consists of two parts. The purpose
of the injection is to control the damp and restrict it as far as
possible. It's highly unlikely, even in ideal circumstances that it
will completely stop the damp but, in conjunction with replastering,
it will control the problem so that it becomes acceptable. Merely
re-plastering a wall could have unforseen consequences such as (if
there really is rising damp) encouraging it to rise even higher to the
point where it's above the level of the new plaster. This phenomenon
is quite distinctive and is an indication that an injection dpc has
actually failed.

The re-plastering not only stops any residual damp from migrating to
the surface but it has another, and perhaps more important purpose
which is to remove chlorides and nitrates which will have migrated to
the surface of the old plaster. If they were left there then the wall
would be forever hygroscopic and no matter what you did with
injections, or physical dpc's for that matter, the wall would always
be damp.

The presence, or lack of, salts in a wall is sure indication of
whether there's ground water (rising or penetrating) in it but
unfortunately it's a diagnostic method which is eschewed by the dpc
industry. It's much easier to stick a moisture meter into the wall,
listen to it buzz and flash red and con the poor househoder into
paying for an injection dpc to cure the condensation caused by the
double glazing which was sold to them on the basis that it would cut
draughts and create a pleasant atmosphere. It all brings on five
o'clock wouldn't you say?

KR's

xav
xavier

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...
John Rumm wrote in message ...
Jake wrote:

snip
--

and dpc injection can
result in the fabric of the building beginning to disintegrate near
ground level. It is not suitable for Victorian buildings.

What is your proof for this statement? If the house is built of brick
or stone then why should a silicone injection cause it to deteriorate
any more than a brick or stone which is in a house built in the 30's?

Nor is it effective in such buildings, it hinders the damp control
system more than it helps it. It seems to me you need to understand
how your building deals with damp, and what things you can rectify. To
speak with the experts, I'd suggest:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...rum2.pl?#34641

An excellent site but there are other opinions.

For other general interest, most Vic houses had no dpc of any kind,
and there are indeed 9" thick cavity walls, its called ratbond. Vics
with dpc usually used slate as the dpc material, and slate dpcs often
become ineffective due to them being bridged on the outside with
mortar. Of the few slate dpcs I've seen at least half were bridged by
inappropriate repointing technique. However if this has been done, one
should be wary of breaking the mortar off, since cement in sound
condition is a lot stronger than slate.

Sorry, this doesn't make sense. A mortar joint will cause only a
minimal bridge and will not normally contribute in any marked degree
to the passage of rising damp. It will to a degree but only
marginally, especially if it's cement based (as opposed to lime).
That's why a re-plastering base coat should be sand/cement!

Also, I can't see the connection between breaking off the mortar and
the condition of the slate. Are you suggesting it's somehow become a
structural item? I'm not being facetious,I'm genuinely puzzled.

Ratbond is a cheap way to build walls quickly and, according to
BS6576, is not to be injected under any circumstances. But this is
because of its construction, not its content!

KR's

Xav
Jake

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:28:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jake wrote:
It could well be a solid wall at that age.

Its a cavity wall. I've eplaced bricks in the outer skin, etc.

You can replace bricks in the outer skin of a 9" non cavity wall too.

I can tell you it's acavity wall. I've seen the cavity - when I
installed an airbrick, etc.

If you've had to replace bricks, what sort of condition is the pointing
in? This is a primary cause of water soaking through a wall.

The bricks I replaced were on an unrendeed side of the house. The side
affected by damp is rendered.

Jake

Jake

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:40:23 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Get the boys in. Its easier.

It's certainly tempting, except that I wouldn;t know if I could trust
'em to do it right... There's the old adage: "If you want to do it
right do it yourself, yes"?

Cheers,

Jake

Jake

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 04:12:14 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

Yes, there is an issue with rainwater gathering on the pavement
outside to some extent, but I can't do much about that.

If any of the pavement is yours then put a drainage channel in, if it's
the council's then try to get them to do it.

The pavement is the council's. I'm really not sure if that's the cause
of the problem though. The rain doesn't settle that badly. But I
noticed that it's probably higher than it was when the house was built
because it is above the level of the bottom of an airbrick (it doesn't
look like a Victorian airbrick, but maybe a 1940's one. I suspect it
was installed back in the 1940s to try and cure the problem which had
already started way back then. I can't imagine what the council could
do to improve the situation.

If the cavity was empty, and deep, I would have expected the damp to
stay in the outer skin of the wall. But for all I know, the cavity
could be filled up with old mortar that's dropped down from above,
etc.

The one thing I am sure of is that the plaser used on the bottom four
feet of the interior, is definitely the worst sort that could have
been used. It sems to soak up damp like a sponge.

Just outside the affected room, the same wall extends about 9 inches
before the front door jamb. That 9" was one of the worst-affected
bits. I installed a 9" x 6" terra-cotta air brick just there, and
covered it with a white plastic vent-cover, so that it wouldn't stick
out like a sore thumb. It certainly did go a long way to curing the
problem just there, because the air brick absorbs the damp and lets it
evaporate into the air that passes through the air brick. Perhaps I
should employ that method all the way around the affected room,
installing them every five four feet or so. I think it might work, but
it's not the most aesthetic solution. I think rendering the bottom 4
ft of the interior with sand+cement mortar would also be desirable.

Jake
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Get the boys in. Its easier.

It's certainly tempting, except that I wouldn;t know if I could trust
'em to do it right... There's the old adage: "If you want to do it
right do it yourself, yes"?

BUT you will get guarantee from them which looks good when selling.

Cheers,

Jake

Jake

wrote:

If it is effective, can anyone ecommend a cost-effective place to hire
the gear from and where to buy the liquid? Any tips on actual
application?

Get the boys in. Its easier.

It's certainly tempting, except that I wouldn;t know if I could trust
'em to do it right... There's the old adage: "If you want to do it
right do it yourself, yes"?

BUT you will get guarantee from them which looks good when selling.

Good point. Thanks for that one.

Jake

N. Thornton

(xavier) wrote in message . com...
(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...

and dpc injection can
result in the fabric of the building beginning to disintegrate near
ground level. It is not suitable for Victorian buildings.

What is your proof for this statement?

1. Understand how these buildings work. 2. Go look at some. 3. Talk to
some experts too.

1900 houses are built of very soft very permeable bricks. They usually
have no dpc. So water is drawn up the wall through the bricks and
mortar. This evaporates from the brick surface, keeping levels of damp
below problematic.

Now, if you add a chemical dpc, this water dissipation is considerably
hampered, and the bricks below the dpc reach a much higher dampness
level. When it freezes, the water expands slightly and the bricks
steadily disintegrate. This can be seen on many Vic houses, bricks
below injected dpcs disintegrating. Uninjected houses that have been
maintained more appropriately do not suffer anything like as much from
this problem.

If the house is built of brick
or stone then why should a silicone injection cause it to deteriorate
any more than a brick or stone which is in a house built in the 30's?

Depends on brick type. Vic bricks were very soft and very porous, ie
very easily damaged by too much water content freezing.

http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...rum2.pl?#34641

An excellent site but there are other opinions.

Obviuosly, one should consider them all and evaluate them. Some stand
up better to scrutiny than others.

Also, I can't see the connection between breaking off the mortar and
the condition of the slate. Are you suggesting it's somehow become a
structural item? I'm not being facetious,I'm genuinely puzzled.

if you prise hard cement off brittle slate it tends to break.

Ratbond is a cheap way to build walls quickly and, according to
BS6576, is not to be injected under any circumstances. But this is
because of its construction, not its content!

I'm not familiar with that, why is it not to be injected?

NT
Owain

"Jake" wrote
| .... the rendering at ground level is particularly
| hard. Looks like a 4+1 mix. I wonder if it could be
| removed...

That sounds like an excuse for a thread about SDS drills and chisels

Owain

N. Thornton

(Jake) wrote in message ...
On 11 Nov 2004 04:58:06 -0800,
(N. Thornton) wrote:

Whether its enough on its own, who knows, only one way to see, but
certainly it'll help. IIRC your walls are covered on the interior with
some kind of waterproof paint or something, this wants removing
really. Gypsum plaster and emulsion all considerably reduce
evaporation, thus increasing damp in the wall. The standard proper fix
is to remove plaster and replaster in lime. Lime is porous, and
greatly improves the drying.

But it's very absorbent too - so that is sort of contrary to the usual
advice about plastering with sand & cement mortar to block the flow of
moisture to the interior wall surface, yes?

Its contradictory to that popular poor advice, obviously. The idea is
to dry the wall out, not trap the water in it. If you seal the 2 sides
of the wall, the wall will simply head for the level of damp of the
ground it sits on, which will be more wet than damp.

When built, these walls would always be plastered in lime, they are
not designed for gypsum plaster, and some cant work with it.

Realise though that building material is very slow to dry, weeks per
inch of brick. A dehumidifier would speed this up.

Thanks for the suggestions. And after lime mortar is applied and dry,
what sort of finishing coat would you use? And what paint would you
use, if not emulsion?

distemper would be the best choice. However with Vic houses you can
usually still get away with emulsiion once you fix the other issues.

NT
Jake

On 12 Nov 2004 17:42:45 -0800, (N. Thornton) wrote:

(Jake) wrote in message ...
On 11 Nov 2004 04:58:06 -0800,
(N. Thornton) wrote:

[...]

The plaster that's already on the walls inside, seems about as
absorbent as lime plaster. There's a party wall, perpendicular to the
damp side of the house which divides the lounge from the hall. In the
hall, the plaster is lime plaster, but in the lounge, the plaster is
some modern but similarly absorbent plaster. Both felt equally damp to
the touch.

I appreciate your comment about the rendering going down to the ground
outside preventing evaporation. It may be difficult to emove that, but
it would be easy to install absorbent air bricks, say every six feet,
close to ground level. But drying out the exterior skin of the cavity
wall isn't really going to cure the rising damp in the inside skin, is
it?

I could install some absorbent airbricks in the inside skin, below the
level of the suspended floor. I'm not sue how many to install.... one
every four feet or so perhaps. When the holes for the air bricks are
cut, I can also clear out any debris in the cavity hopefully. A lot of
air bricks will obviously detract from the thermal insulation of the
cavities, but if it cures the damp, I'd be likely to go for it...

Jake
N. Thornton

(Jake) wrote in message ...
On 12 Nov 2004 17:42:45 -0800,
(N. Thornton) wrote:

The plaster that's already on the walls inside, seems about as
absorbent as lime plaster.

How did you judge absorbency? I'm not sure how you can. Either it'll
lime or gypsum, clay plaster is most unlikely.

There's a party wall, perpendicular to the
damp side of the house which divides the lounge from the hall. In the
hall, the plaster is lime plaster, but in the lounge, the plaster is
some modern but similarly absorbent plaster.

modern plaster is not similarly absorbent.

Both felt equally damp to
the touch.

You cant judge moisture content by feel as far as I know, hence the
widespread use (and misuse) of damp meters.

I appreciate your comment about the rendering going down to the ground
outside preventing evaporation. It may be difficult to emove that, but
it would be easy to install absorbent air bricks,

Air bricks arent absorbant. Removing that render is the one big
effective thing to do, but really only if you can do it without
damaging the very soft bricks underneath. If not, you could at least
cut through it gently over the mortar joints and expose those. The
remaining render will fall off one day, but will take years to loosen
its hold, sometimes a lot of years.

say every six feet,
close to ground level. But drying out the exterior skin of the cavity
wall isn't really going to cure the rising damp in the inside skin, is
it?

It would, if you had rising damp. Swapping the saturated cavity air
for fresh would reduce the RH in the cavity air, thuse permitting
evaporation from both skins. But what looks like rising damp is
normally not rising damp. Rising damp is far from common, it is now
realised that it has been very overdiagnosed, and often still is.

I could install some absorbent airbricks in the inside skin, below the
level of the suspended floor.

Hang on, are you saying you have a cavity wall, timber suspended
floor, and no airbricks? If so, something is wrong there. And will
need putting right before the floor structure rots. People have been
known to render over airbricks before!

I'm not sue how many to install.... one
every four feet or so perhaps. When the holes for the air bricks are
cut, I can also clear out any debris in the cavity hopefully. A lot of
air bricks will obviously detract from the thermal insulation of the
cavities, but if it cures the damp, I'd be likely to go for it...

Jake

Jake, I'm going to be absolutely straight with you, you dont
understand what youre doing, and need to learn. Otherwise youre
thrashing about in the dark, doing work that doesnt need doing and
wont wotk anyway. Its not difficult to learn, really its not. Try
these guys:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...sing/forum2.pl
they'll take you through it bit by bit, then you can apply true
expertise to your house.

Best of luck,

NT
Jake

On 14 Nov 2004 16:59:44 -0800, (N. Thornton) wrote:

(Jake) wrote in message ...
On 12 Nov 2004 17:42:45 -0800,
(N. Thornton) wrote:

[...]

Actually, come to think of it, I did see airbricks below floor level,
but didn't notice how many.

I'm not sue how many to install.... one
every four feet or so perhaps. When the holes for the air bricks are
cut, I can also clear out any debris in the cavity hopefully. A lot of
air bricks will obviously detract from the thermal insulation of the
cavities, but if it cures the damp, I'd be likely to go for it...

Jake

Jake, I'm going to be absolutely straight with you, you dont
understand what youre doing, and need to learn.

That's why I'm seeking advice here. :-)

Otherwise youre
thrashing about in the dark, doing work that doesnt need doing and
wont wotk anyway. Its not difficult to learn, really its not. Try
these guys:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...sing/forum2.pl
they'll take you through it bit by bit, then you can apply true
expertise to your house.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see what they say. Thanks for the
other suggestions too.

Jake

Damp not highlighted in surveyors report Andrew King UK diy 23 August 17th 04 10:27 PM
advice sought - builder's idea for damp proofing a basement Antony UK diy 8 June 30th 04 05:46 PM
More damp testing woes Kooky45 UK diy 22 October 21st 03 11:33 AM
DIY damp injection JK UK diy 9 October 13th 03 11:25 AM