N. Thornton

(Jake) wrote in message ...
On 10 Nov 2004 09:01:12 -0800,
(N. Thornton) wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:03:01 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

Does the rendering go all the way to the ground?

Yes, it does. I noticed too that the tarmac public pavement running
along that wall is above the level of the bottom of an airbrick in
that wall.

2 causes of damp right there. You need bare brick at the wall bottom
so that damp wicked up can get to evaporate away. Thats how Vic
non-dpc walls control damp.

That's unfortunate.... the rendering at ground level is particularly
hard. Looks like a 4+1 mix. I wonder if it could be removed...

Well, bear in mind youve got soft brick underneath... chisel it off
and the bricks will be trashed. If you ask people on
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...rum2.pl?#34641
some of them have successfully done it - I wouldnt dare myself though.
But it is whats needed to sort the damp out. What I would dare do is
locate the joints and angle grind the render off over the joins, and
repoint those with lime. Lime is porous and lets moisture out, cement
doesnt so well.

Realise the net moisture flow is from inside the wall out, not from
rain in, so porous is whats wanted on these non-dpc walls.

NT