bruce phipps

Default Makeover shows: Why no curtains?

One thing that occurs to me whilst watching all those "Property
Ladder" house renovation shows on TV.

The renovators usually redecorate in a stark modern way -- rooms often
do not have any curtains!

This "lets light into the space" but seems bonkers for the English
climate. Freezing in Winter and not much privacy, either.

Bruce
:::Jerry::::

"bruce phipps" wrote in message
om...
One thing that occurs to me whilst watching all those "Property
Ladder" house renovation shows on TV.

The renovators usually redecorate in a stark modern way -- rooms often
do not have any curtains!

This "lets light into the space" but seems bonkers for the English
climate. Freezing in Winter and not much privacy, either.

It's popular entertainment with an element of fantasy, it's not meant to be
DIY...

Mary Fisher

"bruce phipps" wrote in message
om...
One thing that occurs to me whilst watching all those "Property
Ladder" house renovation shows on TV.

The renovators usually redecorate in a stark modern way -- rooms often
do not have any curtains!

This "lets light into the space" but seems bonkers for the English
climate. Freezing in Winter and not much privacy, either.

They probably assume double or triple glazing.

As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't want others to
see?

We rarely draw our curtains in the house. In the caravans we don't have
them, instead we use venetian blinds, much more satisfactory.

Mary

Bruce

Christian McArdle

As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't want others to
see?

Procreation, defacation, urination, choice of television programme?

Christian.

Tim

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:57:07 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't want others to
see?

You don't want to see me at 6 in the morning in nowt but boxers :/
The only difference between me and an extra from "Day of the Dead"
is I'm not green (depending on beer consumption the previous night)...

Timbo
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't want others
see?

Procreation, defacation, urination, choice of television programme?

Do people look through others' windows to see those?

If they do we should be charitble and give them some excitement in their
poor lives ...

Christian.

Mary Fisher

"Tim" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:57:07 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't want others
see?

You don't want to see me at 6 in the morning in nowt but boxers :/

That's true. So I promise not to look :-)

Mary

Christian McArdle

Procreation, defacation, urination, choice of television programme?

Do people look through others' windows to see those?

Rarely intentionally, but they might look through windows and accidentally
see it thrust into their faces (visually speaking...)

If they do we should be charitble and give them some excitement in their
poor lives ...

Or a chance to call the police for indecent exposure.

Perhaps you live in an already secluded house or behind a hedge, making
privacy much less of an issue? I have a 2m front garden with no screen (i.e.
hedge or fence) between the bay front window and the street. It's about as
private as standing in Piccadilly Circus.

Christian.

Grunff

Mary Fisher wrote:

As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't want others to
see?

Erm, i can think of a couple of things...

--
Grunff
Christian McArdle

It's about as private as standing in Piccadilly Circus.

Everything goes on there ... except perhaps the telly.

Indeed, but I don't wish to see or participate in it, particularly if it is
happening contemporaneously...

Christian.

Owain

"Christian McArdle" wrote
| As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't
| want others to see?
| Procreation, defacation, urination, choice of television programme?

Picking the dinner up off the floor and pushing it back into the pyrex and
hoping nobody saw.

Changing a light fitting in a kitchen.

Satanic rituals, oh no they're legal now, you're even allowed to do them on
board HM Ships.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
It's about as private as standing in Piccadilly Circus.

Everything goes on there ... except perhaps the telly.

Indeed, but I don't wish to see or participate in it, particularly if it
is
happening contemporaneously...

No. That's why we don't have a telly.

Mary

Christian.

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Christian McArdle" wrote
| As for privacy - what goes on in your house which you don't
| want others to see?
| Procreation, defacation, urination, choice of television programme?

Picking the dinner up off the floor and pushing it back into the pyrex and
hoping nobody saw.

Everyone does that ... without the Pyrex.

Changing a light fitting in a kitchen.

I get Spouse to do that.

Satanic rituals, oh no they're legal now, you're even allowed to do them
on
board HM Ships.

Are they? Do tell ... do they have curtains?

Mary

Owain

Anna Kettle

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:37:49 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

No. That's why we don't have a telly.

So you are another of the miniscule 0.2 percent of households which
don't have a telly, though they tell me that in Cambridge the number
shoots up to 2%

Anything I particularly want to watch is recorded by my mum and I
watch it later which generally works out fine though it was only last
weekend that I caught up on Grand Designs Abroad

Didn't the artist couple in Italy and the couple with the massive
roofless chateau in France work hard! And neither of them young
either. What was the outcome of the alpine farmhouse which was being
'managed' from London while the local builders assumed the owners
wanted a house like all the others in the area. The last I saw was
when she burst into tears cos it wasn't ready for her 30K kitchen
delivery. Then the video cut out

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Mary Fisher

wrote:

No. That's why we don't have a telly.

So you are another of the miniscule 0.2 percent of households which
don't have a telly, though they tell me that in Cambridge the number
shoots up to 2%

It's the only part of me which IS minuscule!

Anything I particularly want to watch is recorded by my mum and I
watch it later

We don't even see videos of our appearances on telly ... but since we were
there we don't need to!

Didn't the artist couple in Italy and the couple with the massive
roofless chateau in France work hard! And neither of them young
either. What was the outcome of the alpine farmhouse which was being
'managed' from London while the local builders assumed the owners
wanted a house like all the others in the area. The last I saw was
when she burst into tears cos it wasn't ready for her 30K kitchen
delivery. Then the video cut out

We'd have loved to restore a Scottish pile. Too late now though.

£30K for a kitchen???

Bloody hell! That would take ALL our savings :-)

Mary

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

T i m

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:29:10 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

£30K for a kitchen???

Bloody hell! That would take ALL our savings :-)

Savings? shrug can't afford them ;-(

T i m

"Jesus saves"

not on our money he doesn't ;-)
Mary Fisher

wrote:

£30K for a kitchen???

Bloody hell! That would take ALL our savings :-)

Savings? shrug can't afford them ;-(

They accumulate by accident - 'retirement' pay off and a couple of insurance
policies. Not real savings, just not spent :-) and I certainly wouldn't
spend it on a kitchen.

But I'm a tight Tyke ...

Mary

T i m

"Jesus saves"

not on our money he doesn't ;-)

T i m

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:24:54 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Savings? shrug can't afford them ;-(

They accumulate by accident - 'retirement' pay off and a couple of insurance
policies. Not real savings, just not spent :-) and I certainly wouldn't
spend it on a kitchen.

But I'm a tight Tyke ...

No you aren't Mary .. it's just (like us) your priorities are
elsewhere?

I would assume that as long as your kitchen allows you to store / cook
food then that's job done?

I fitted our kitchen 15 years ago (with reasonable quality plain
(white) units at the time) and they are all still fine.

The missus, given the choice of going out on her Yamaha XV750 or
re-decorating the lounge .... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Mary Fisher

wrote:

But I'm a tight Tyke ...

No you aren't Mary .. it's just (like us) your priorities are
elsewhere?

I would assume that as long as your kitchen allows you to store / cook
food then that's job done?

It's small. It's not much changed from when we moved in 40+ years ago,
except that I now have a large fridge, upright freezer, washing machine,
small dishwasher and 90cm cooker. Oh, and about 4' of counter space, a sink
with double drainer. That's it. No room for anything else.

Hmm. Very different from when we moved in :-)

Food storage is still in the pantry.

I need no more. There's a small cupboard for bits and five drawers, shelves
for crockery and pans ( I hate cupboards at head height), all Spouse-made.

I fitted our kitchen 15 years ago (with reasonable quality plain
(white) units at the time) and they are all still fine.

The missus, given the choice of going out on her Yamaha XV750 or
re-decorating the lounge .... ;-)

Yes?

I've never liked motor bikes but don't relish decorating either.

Boring or what!

Mary

All the best ..

T i m

G&M

"bruce phipps" wrote in message
om...
One thing that occurs to me whilst watching all those "Property
Ladder" house renovation shows on TV.

The renovators usually redecorate in a stark modern way -- rooms often
do not have any curtains!

This "lets light into the space" but seems bonkers for the English
climate. Freezing in Winter and not much privacy, either.

They're "selling a dream". Reality only hits once you've bought the dream
:-)