BAHADIR

Default single pipe central heating

Hi everyone,
i have a final project about single pipe central heating systems, and
heating a building with the system...
i am studying mech. eng. and i need detailed information about this
subject...
it would be glad if there are anyone can help me...
it may be your own knowledge or experience about the system or may be
a link to a site about system...
Thanks For everyone who will answer me.....
Dave Jones

"BAHADIR" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,
i have a final project about single pipe central heating systems, and
heating a building with the system...
i am studying mech. eng. and i need detailed information about this
subject...
it would be glad if there are anyone can help me...
it may be your own knowledge or experience about the system or may be
a link to a site about system...
Thanks For everyone who will answer me.....

http://www.diydata.com/planning/cent...g/pipework.htm

MikeS

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"BAHADIR" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,
i have a final project about single pipe central heating systems, and
heating a building with the system...
i am studying mech. eng. and i need detailed information about this
subject...
it would be glad if there are anyone can help me...
it may be your own knowledge or experience about the system or may be
a link to a site about system...
Thanks For everyone who will answer me.....

http://www.diydata.com/planning/cent...g/pipework.htm
I note the above site talks about pressure relieve valve. I believe in
Sweden ( could also be Denmark) they have automatic pressure relieve valves
built in the their thermostatic valves so if all the thermostatic valves
are closed the water flows though each radiators automatic bypass this
keeps the pipe work warm (it wont freeze) when the outside temperature is
well below -25c.

MikeS

Peter

Hi
I'm a bit uncertain here whether the flow is top or bottom of the radiator,
this shows bottom, other sources I have seen show top.
Anyone know which it is in practice?
"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"BAHADIR" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,
i have a final project about single pipe central heating systems, and
heating a building with the system...
i am studying mech. eng. and i need detailed information about this
subject...
it would be glad if there are anyone can help me...
it may be your own knowledge or experience about the system or may be
a link to a site about system...
Thanks For everyone who will answer me.....

http://www.diydata.com/planning/cent...g/pipework.htm

IMM

"Aidan" wrote in message
m...
(BAHADIR) wrote in message

. com...

or may be a link to a site about system...

See also information about the diverter-tee/monoflo-tee system at the
site below. This system isn't used in the UK, so far as I know.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/heating_howcome3.cfm

The diverter tee is similar to a spreader "Y" tee. We don't use diverter
tees because a simple, cheap in-line restrictor can balance up a system.
"Y" tees are horrendously expensive.

IMM

"Peter" wrote in message

Hi
I'm a bit uncertain here whether the flow is top or bottom of the

radiator,
this shows bottom, other sources I have seen show top.
Anyone know which it is in practice?

The flow entering at at the top is the best position, whether pumped or on
gravity. The flow went into the top on gravity systems. No need on a
pumped system.

IMM

"BAHADIR" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,
i have a final project about single pipe central heating systems, and
heating a building with the system...
i am studying mech. eng. and i need detailed information about this
subject...
it would be glad if there are anyone can help me...
it may be your own knowledge or experience about the system or may be
a link to a site about system...
Thanks For everyone who will answer me.....

With a one pipe system the pump speed can't be too fast otherwise the water
just bypasses the radiators and leaves them cold. They are used in large
commercial systems where the loop pipe is oversized, so the loop is no too
cool at the end. The are used in large system as running two 1.5" pipe in
parallel is not practical and visually looks appalling. The designer will
size the loop pipe and the radiators along the loop; the end rads will
probably be much larger than those at the beginning of the loop.

They were used in domestic systems in the 1950/60s to keep costs down when
copper pipe was more expensive. Some would have a two pipe system on the
ground floor and a one pipe on the first, where temp were lower and in those
days the bedrooms were deemed to only have only background heat. When
someone changed a pump and left it on the highest speed, the bedrooms went
cold. I have seen a one pipe system ripped out to great expense because the
pump was set too high, the "plumbers", not heating engineers, didn't know
what was happening.

A one pipe system with a condensing boiler is a no, no, as it keeps the
return temp far too hot. A condenser needs the return pipe temp as low as
possible. One pipe systems are difficult to balance the rads.

In short a one pipe system is the worst case. A two pipe flow/return system
is the best, as then you have far more control and balancing is far easier.
An extra copper pipe is not expensive in a domestic system.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Peter" writes:
"Dave Jones" wrote in message
"BAHADIR" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,
i have a final project about single pipe central heating systems, and
heating a building with the system...
i am studying mech. eng. and i need detailed information about this
subject...
it would be glad if there are anyone can help me...
it may be your own knowledge or experience about the system or may be
a link to a site about system...
Thanks For everyone who will answer me.....

http://www.diydata.com/planning/cent...g/pipework.htm

Hi
I'm a bit uncertain here whether the flow is top or bottom of the radiator,
this shows bottom, other sources I have seen show top.
Anyone know which it is in practice?

I believe that picture and text is wrong. I think the author has
got a single pipe system mixed up with a gravity system, and got
one of his laws of physics upside down. In a single pipe circuit,
water flows in the radiator because it has less resistance than the
pipe underneath -- the radiator is like a big fat pipe in comparison,
so a proportionally more water will go through the radiator. The
outlet from each radiator is much better positioned at the bottom
where it will take the cooler water out of the radiator. The inlet
doesn't matter so much. I prefer it at the bottom -- the hot water will
rise to the top inside the radiator anyway in the first one or two
channels, but if the circulated water suddenly goes cold because
another zone opens, then the cold circulating water will run across
the bottom of the radiator leaving most of the radiator hot until
the boiler catches up heating the additional volume of cold water.
It also looks better in most cases with both inlet and outlet at
the bottom.

However, as the article points out, you will have different water
temperatures in each radiator. If they're all in one room, it won't
matter so much as the effect will cancel out in the room, but the
heating they provide won't be even. If they are in different rooms,
then you will have to take the different average temperatures into
account which will result in undersizing the first radiator through
to oversizing the last, or your room heating will be unbalanced.

For balancing a single pipe circuit, it was done either by very
accurately sizing the radiators and having a single flow restrictor
for the whole circuit, or having one per radiator (and you will
still need one for the whole circuit if you have other circuits
running from the pump).

--
Andrew Gabriel
IMM

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

but if the circulated water suddenly goes cold because
another zone opens, then the cold circulating
water will run across the bottom of the radiator
leaving most of the radiator hot until
the boiler catches up heating the additional volume
of cold water.

You are implying water only enterdd the rads via gravity. Not the case. The
pump did fiorce water through the rads. If a sudden influx of cold water is
present in teh system, then some of this will enter the radiator.

For balancing a single pipe circuit, it was done either by very
accurately sizing the radiators and having a single flow restrictor
for the whole circuit, or having one per radiator (and you will
still need one for the whole circuit if you have other circuits
running from the pump).

To save costs lockshield valves were omitted on the rads and one gate valve
was inserted on the combined return at the boiler, to balance the whole one
pipe loop. When having a two pipe on the ground and one on the upper floors
a gate valve was always inserted. on the one pipe loop at the boiler. This
way the pump could be at high speed and the balance gate valve gave the
right flow for the one pipe circuit to operate.

Most installers on changing boilers will not connect up to the one pipe
system and will only do the job if they removed the one-pipe and replaced it
with a two pipe. Some would make the customer sign a waver on the one-pipe
loop, if it didn't work correctly after a boiler change. They would then
cvharge for callbacks on the one pipe loop. Most of this was just pure
ignorance, as a simple in-line restrictor would make it operate. In some
cases they were not that stupid, they didn't want call backs as balancing
was pig.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"IMM" writes:

You are implying water only enterdd the rads via gravity.

Um, try reading what I actually wrote again.
You seem to have misread or misunderstood it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Aidan

"IMM" wrote in message ...

The diverter tee is similar to a spreader "Y" tee. We don't use diverter
tees because a simple, cheap in-line restrictor can balance up a system.
"Y" tees are horrendously expensive.

No, I do not think that a diverter tee is similar to a spreader "Y"
tee. A diverter tee is similar to a tee with an additional in-line
restrictor. If you look at the link I posted, there is a diagram of
one.

I am not certain what you mean by a "spreader 'Y' tee" because I
cannot find any other reference to this term. If you mean a Y-shaped
tee, then a diverter tee is definitely not similar.
IMM

"Aidan" wrote in message
m...
"IMM" wrote in message

The diverter tee is similar to a spreader "Y" tee. We don't use

diverter
tees because a simple, cheap in-line restrictor can balance up a

system.
"Y" tees are horrendously expensive.

No, I do not think that a diverter tee is similar to a spreader "Y"
tee. A diverter tee is similar to a tee with an additional in-line
restrictor. If you look at the link I posted, there is a diagram of
one.

An in-line restrictor is adjustable. The diverter tee aims to do the same
job a a spreader tee. A spreader T is a an odd shape and can't be made to
look good on surface pipework in many situations, hence the diverter T.

I am not certain what you mean by a "spreader 'Y' tee" because I
cannot find any other reference to this term. If you mean a Y-shaped
tee, then a diverter tee is definitely not similar.

A Y shaped tee does the same job - deliver equal amounts of flow to both
pipes.

Aidan

"IMM" wrote in message ...

An in-line restrictor is adjustable.

In which case I'd probably know it as a regulating valve.
The Monoflo tees have fixed in-line restrictions causing a portion of
the flow to go down the branch.

A Y shaped tee does the same job - deliver equal amounts of flow to both
pipes.

No, only if the hydraulic resistance of the circuits is equal.
N. Thornton

"IMM" wrote in message ...

With a one pipe system the pump speed can't be too fast otherwise the water
just bypasses the radiators and leaves them cold.

nope

IMM

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message

An in-line restrictor is adjustable.

In which case I'd probably know it as a regulating valve.
The Monoflo tees have fixed in-line restrictions causing a portion of
the flow to go down the branch.

A Y shaped tee does the same job - deliver equal amounts of flow to both
pipes.

No, only if the hydraulic resistance of the circuits is equal.

Of which both types of tees do.

Aidan

"IMM" wrote in message ...

A Y shaped tee does the same job - deliver equal amounts of flow to both
pipes.

"A Y shaped tee"?

No, only if the hydraulic resistance of the circuits is equal.

Of which both types of tees do.

Agreed. Which makes your introduction of a "spreader Y-Tee" into the
thread rather pointless.
IMM

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message

A Y shaped tee does the same job - deliver equal amounts of flow to

both
pipes.

"A Y shaped tee"?

Yep, shaped like a "Y".

No, only if the hydraulic resistance of the circuits is equal.

Of which both types of tees do.

Agreed. Which makes your introduction of a "spreader Y-Tee" into the
thread rather pointless.

Going through the bits. The US diverter tee requires a pump with high head,
which requires more power to operate it and more system noises. Best avoid.

Feeble woman about central heating Anna Kettle UK diy 11 February 10th 04 08:56 PM
plastic air pipe CampinGazz Woodworking 8 February 9th 04 11:24 AM
Hot Air Central Heating ron UK diy 6 January 17th 04 02:43 PM
No central heating - HW only threewayvalve and tank therm John UK diy 7 September 29th 03 09:18 AM