Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Garibaldi8

Default extending lighting circuit

Hello - I am a long-time lurker on this group. I have searched previous
posts, but I just can't find an answer to this question. Apologies if it has
already been covered somewhere.

I have a long hallway which turns a corner at the halfway point. My ceiling
light is currently at the halfway point. I would like to move the light to
the centre of the front half of the hallway, nearer to the front door. I
have taken up the floorboards above the current ceiling light point, and
disconnected the ceiling rose. Having done so, I have found that the cables
to the ceiling rose come from the back of the house, so I thought I would
need to get some kind of junction box, fit it at the point where the ceiling
rose now is, and then run some new cable to my new light position. The
problem is, there are three twin-core-and-earth cables entering the current
ceiling rose, and two much smaller red-sleeved cables. It appears that the
red-sleeved cables are running to switches (two switches operate this light)
but I was not expecting to find three other cables - just two, if it is a
loop-in circuit. Is it possible that a third cable is supplying another
light, as a sort of 'spur'? If it is, is there any way I can achieve my
objective of placing my new light at some distance from the old point - can
I get a junction box which would allow all the old cables, plus a new cable
to be connected?

Thanks in advance
Angela