Garibaldi8

That sounds like it would do the trick, Set Square - hadn't realised it was
possible. Many thanks for your quick reply. (the back section of the hall
already has another light, so the new arrangement should be OK)

"Set Square" wrote in message
Garibaldi8 wrote:

Hello - I am a long-time lurker on this group. I have searched
Apologies if it has already been covered somewhere.

I have a long hallway which turns a corner at the halfway point. My
ceiling light is currently at the halfway point. I would like to move
the light to the centre of the front half of the hallway, nearer to
the front door. I have taken up the floorboards above the current
ceiling light point, and disconnected the ceiling rose. Having done
so, I have found that the cables to the ceiling rose come from the
back of the house, so I thought I would need to get some kind of
junction box, fit it at the point where the ceiling rose now is, and
then run some new cable to my new light position. The problem is,
there are three twin-core-and-earth cables entering the current
ceiling rose, and two much smaller red-sleeved cables. It appears
that the red-sleeved cables are running to switches (two switches
operate this light) but I was not expecting to find three other
cables - just two, if it is a loop-in circuit. Is it possible that a
third cable is supplying another light, as a sort of 'spur'? If it
is, is there any way I can achieve my objective of placing my new
light at some distance from the old point - can I get a junction box
which would allow all the old cables, plus a new cable to be
connected?

Thanks in advance
Angela

Why not use the old rose as a junction box, but move it *above* the

ceiling.
[To do this this without disconnecting everything may need a slot cutting

in
the plasterboard - but you'll have to patch the old hole up, anyway]

You then need just one T&E - connected where the dangly cable currently
connects - to extend to a new rose position a few feet away.

Are you sure you want to do this though? The leg of the hall with no light
is going to be extremely dark!
--
Cheers,
Set Square